Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh, probably true. But in my fantasy world, she nails it in both the short and the long, cracks the 200 points barrier and sets up a real battle at the Olympics.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
After I watched Yuna's FS with cold head, I think that most of us were really exagerrating on how bad it was or if it was overscored. I think we all had some kind psychological shock because of her fall and because of her first errors. She really wasn't that bad. I mean, we all have seen worse.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Oh please. Yu-na is only missing one triple in her program. The other double axel she does is a reward for doing her double axel/3toe and then the other one is a requirement. If they banned that extra double axel, they'd absolutely need to find a way to start rewarding 3/3s more which would HARDLY hurt Yu-na....

Or they can give a bonus for skaters who attempt all 5 triples (save for the axel) that the ladies should be able to do properly. Yu-na aside, nearly the entire competition had ladies doing 3 axels to make up for missing triples. That's just ridiculous in itself.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Or they can give a bonus for skaters who attempt all 5 triples (save for the axel) that the ladies should be able to do properly. Yu-na aside, nearly the entire competition had ladies doing 3 axels to make up for missing triples. That's just ridiculous in itself.

Or they can do both. Give a bonus for doing all 5 triples and a bonus for doing a 3/3. But to be frank it's ALWAYS been the case that not all the ladies have all the triples and so some do double axels.

lakeshore

Match Penalty
IHonestly I felt that Yu-na looked a bit releaved after the performance. I think that she was really putting a lot of stress on herself to be perfect, and I think she maybe needed a bad skate.

I like the way Yu Na bots fabricate history. What was the last time Kim had a perfect LP even with those steroid-propelled scores. 2009 Worlds? a glaringly popped salcow. CoC? completely missed 3flip.

In her best days, she could land 5 clean triples, and this is supposed to be the GREATEST lady skater. haha. dont tell me those 3 2As... I know 2A is worth 3.5 pts.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think peoples called Yuna or tout her as the greatest female figure skater in history. But she is currently the best since what, the past 10 years. That's reasonable.

Since 1999? Better than Michelle at her peak in 2000 and 2001? I don't think so.
Not better than Irina or Shizuka either, IMO, at least not yet.

DarkestMoon

On the Ice
Or they can do both. Give a bonus for doing all 5 triples and a bonus for doing a 3/3. But to be frank it's ALWAYS been the case that not all the ladies have all the triples and so some do double axels.

Sad but true. The bonus would at least be a sign as to who has mastery over their jumps and an explanation to why certain skaters can barely make it to the top with a limited jump set.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
lakeshore
I like the way you don't read the message.
She was under the biggest pressure of all other skaters and that's the reason. That has nothing to do with clean programs in the past.

And again... if Yuna is bad... Horrible... Worthless skater... What about others? :) (and actually loved some of their performances today, like from Fumie and Rachael). She made one not very good program after delivering 3 very good performances (2 perfect and 1 nearly perfect, not perfect because of some bad luck). Come on. She had pressure and she had errors. Nothing more.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I hope she doesn't :laugh: It is better for her mindset to just think of doing a triple double. After already having one horrible competition (for the most part) she needs all the confidence she can get!

this might sound funny, but Joannie, when she is really on is so good she doesn't need the 3x3. She does need to be on and that should get her an Olympic medal. Which flavor - could be any of them

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hey so I was just looking at the grand prix scores so far this season. Rachael's score from SA (with the fall in the short) is higher than Mao's 2nd place finish at TEB and both of Miki Ando's wins. It is also significantly higher (roughly 10-20 points) then what Ashley, Caroline, Mirai, and Alissa are earning. Akiko's winning score was higher than her's, but by like 2 points. If she even makes it to the Olympics (which she very easily might not, especially if Wagner gets to go because she in in the GPF) do you think she could ever medal? I mean, if Miki and Mao keep skating like they do and Joannie doesn't go for the 3-3 and she only has one other American and Japanese skater to compete against...it seems plausible. Besides Yu Na, the ladies olympic podium could really be anyone's game

The fact that YuNa was less than perfect today does not negate the fact that she is a wonderful skater, both technically proficient and artistically exquisite. Is she the greatest skater ever? That's not even a realistic question. What comparisons could we make to judge? But while I'm not solely a YuNa fan (I also love Mao, and Alissa, and quite a few others) I think she'll be one for the ages. And I deeply hope she never delivers a skate like that again, even in practice! She must be totally traumatized this evening, as well as poor Orser...not to mention the viewers, and the entire country of South Korea.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Olympia
She must be totally traumatized this evening, as well as poor Orser...not to mention the viewers, and the entire country of South Korea.
Maybe fans like me are more traumatized than her. I watched several times her FS and especially her reaction after it and she was looking very fine and Brian too. Not happy, but not that sad. It looks like they took it with some humor, although of course it's not a very good experience, but they noticed very well that they will learn from it.
In the past she had falls and errors and finished 3rd, and she handled them very well and without being unhappy. This time is the same, but she is 1st now.

diotima

Spectator
After I watched Yuna's FS with cold head, I think that most of us were really exagerrating on how bad it was or if it was overscored. I think we all had some kind psychological shock because of her fall and because of her first errors. She really wasn't that bad. I mean, we all have seen worse.

ITA. Especially that words "psychological shock".
I think there's no way her LP was overscored. Her PCS was falled and GOE of many elements was also lowered.
I'm actually relieved that she made some unusual mistakes in a GP series.
It's impossible one skater is always doing almost perfect and great games.
If she's going to carry all the burden like "being perfect, keeping 200 point" until Olympics, I'd rather seriously care about the pressure what she cope with.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
That's a lot of casualties, Olympia! :laugh:

I was feeling a bit blue, but I think we'll be OK, and hope it's especially true for the one who skated.

Some people really descended upon her like vultures, though. Not even I do that, to anyone, and I'm mean.

The fact that YuNa was less than perfect today does not negate the fact that she is a wonderful skater, both technically proficient and artistically exquisite. Is she the greatest skater ever? That's not even a realistic question. What comparisons could we make to judge? But while I'm not solely a YuNa fan (I also love Mao, and Alissa, and quite a few others) I think she'll be one for the ages. And I deeply hope she never delivers a skate like that again, even in practice! She must be totally traumatized this evening, as well as poor Orser...not to mention the viewers, and the entire country of South Korea.

I just wanted to quote your words because they were so heartfelt and sweet.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Yuna Kim fans should take into account that it's better something like this happen now than at the Games.

prettykeys

Medalist
The Yuna Kim fans should take into account that it's better something like this happen now than at the Games.
This is how I think of it:
1) The arrogant uber-fans who needed to be humbled should be humbled.
2) The haters will always be haters, nothing anybody could do about them.
3) I guess everyone could be glad that this wasn't the Oly's. Although, her SP really was great here at SA.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
R.D.
This is sure, it's so obvious, that I take it as given already.
But I was always prepared for this and any experience can be for good.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I must say, though, that if she was really feeling the pressure today then I can't imagine how she'll feel in Vancouver where it will be 10x as much. Still, this is a new situation for her and one might imagine she'll react better the next time she faces it.

There's still the GPF. But as long as the nails the short program she's going to make it VERY difficult if not impossible to catch her up. Where the door really gets opened is if she makes a mistake in the SP- particularly on her first jumping pass.