Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP Sun Nov. 15th 2:00 PM-4:00 PM

Skating to Gone with the Wind, Emily Hughes put out a solid performance, gaining credit for three clean triples, including a triple Lutz, double toe and triple flip, double toe. She placed seventh in the free and seventh overall with 135.31 points
    Solid performance alright.

Ladies with 5 triples or more are an extremely rare thing these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    from here.

Heh. That one is new.
    Actually Kurt Browning mentioned that excuse in an interview he had after a win during a pro competition saying he'd learned so much by skating everynight in Stars on Ice stating people came to see a good performance and didn't really care if the skates were too tight (among other things).
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 11-15-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Heh. That one is new. We should totally start a list "Best excuses by skaters". "Retied my skates too tight" is in the middle, together with "the ice is crushy" (Lambiel, Worlds 2008) and "the Triple Axel only looks underrotated from a certain perspective" (Lysacek, Grand Prix 2008).
    The funny thing about it is that on the live television coverage you could see that she was having trouble getting her skates tied properly. She kept fussing with them while she was waiting backstage, then when she was warming up and the judges took such a long time to get Rachael's scores tigether, she retied them again, looking again like something wasn't quite right.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeshore View Post
    I hope so as well. It's absolutely horrible that the much touted the 'greatest' female figure skater in history is doing THREE 2As in a LP...
    I don't think peoples called Yuna or tout her as the greatest female figure skater in history. But she is currently the best since what, the past 10 years. That's reasonable.

She does have 3Lz+3T and 2A+3T combination, and she can go and look at all the protocols from the all the events and see how many ladies are doing the 3+3 and 2A+3T.

Custom Title
    Medusa
    Heh. That one is new. We should totally start a list "Best excuses by skaters". "Retied my skates too tight" is in the middle, together with "the ice is crushy" (Lambiel, Worlds 2008) and "the Triple Axel only looks underrotated from a certain perspective" (Lysacek, Grand Prix 2008).
    It's not an excuse. She was doing it on ice for another time and what she tried to say is that those details kept her nervous. It's not an excuse, she is not denying anything.

Originally Posted by lakeshore
    I hope so as well. It's absolutely horrible that the much touted the 'greatest' female figure skater in history is doing THREE 2As in a LP...
    Oh please. Yu-na is only missing one triple in her program. The other double axel she does is a reward for doing her double axel/3toe and then the other one is a requirement. If they banned that extra double axel, they'd absolutely need to find a way to start rewarding 3/3s more which would HARDLY hurt Yu-na....

As for the excuse, I like that Mao doesn't offer excuses. But in defense of Yu-na, Yu-na is an extremely hard worker who does absolutely give it her all every time she comes out in the ice. I think she just tries to explain why she did poorly because she feels bad about it. I really did think something was off though.
    Last edited by bekalc; 11-15-2009 at 07:17 PM.

I had never heard that one from Lambiel before. Seriously, how many times in her life has she tied her skates? It really isn't that difficult to get them right so they feel comfortable and even if they are too tight you should still be able to skate through it.
    Last edited by i love to skate; 11-15-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post

I had never heard that one from Lambiel before. Seriously, how many times in her life has she tied her skates? It really isn't that difficult to get them right so they feel comfortable and even if they are too tight you should still be able to skate through it.
    your fellow Canadian Kurt Browning often talked (in interviews and his book) about how in a rush of adreniline it was easy to tie skates too tight... he also had a lot of moments in th eK&C where he immediately unlaced them and then breathed a huge sigh of relief

wow I'm on a Kurt kick lately

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    your fellow Canadian Kurt Browning often talked (in interviews and his book) about how in a rush of adreniline it was easy to tie skates too tight... he also had a lot of moments in th eK&C where he immediately unlaced them and then breathed a huge sigh of relief
    Sure, your feet can cramp up so bad when you finish your performance - it's like worst pain ever. However, Kim said she retied them to tight in the middle of the warm up. Therefore, she had plenty of time to take them off, retie them, and make sure they felt right. It just seems like an odd statement to make and one that could throw a person off so much. Especially from someone who is usually so focused. Weird.

she has been nervous this entire competition for whatever reason, and she -according to Mathman- fiddled with her laces frequently before her LP... I think it was a nervous habit that cost her (pain of any kind is distracting no matter how much you try to ignore it)...

it's not me trying to excuse her, but it's believable to me that it caused her added frustration/distraction.

I think it's telling that she had the need to give a reason at all as to why she wasn't "perfect" people around her expect too much (media, fans, etc)

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    YuNa had a bad night. Are a certain few of you done taking digs at her, or are you trying to stock up right now in case future opportunities to do so don't come up again?

She was nervous before she took to the ice, and yes, she fidgeted with her skates during warm-up. Neither her nor Kurt apparently practiced expertly tying boots enough.

Custom Title
    i love to skate
    She retied them last time when she was on ice and there wasn't any much time left. Anyway, can't she do this error one time?
    And it's not excuse, it's just another explanation like "my body was tense" or "This could happen anytime". Or those are excuses too?

Custom Title
    I was kind of surprised that when YuNa did stumble, there was an obvious break in her performance demeanor. It's been awhile since I've watched singles and I'm used to skaters not acknowledging the fall. They go down but they keep on the game face and resume as if it didn't occur. YuNa took a couple of beats each time of being out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel5555 View Post
    i love to skate
    She retied them last time when she was on ice and there wasn't any much time left. Anyway, can't she do this error one time?
    And it's not excuse, it's just another explanation like "my body was tense" or "This could happen anytime". Or those are excuses too?
    I never said it was an excuse....I said it was an odd statement to make. Forgive me for posting a comment about it.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    nevergonnadance, yes. I was actually afraid she was gonna drop everything, it wasn't in her to perform tonight from start to finish.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast