IFS Article on Drobiazko & Vanagas' Return to competition | Golden Skate

IFS Article on Drobiazko & Vanagas' Return to competition

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
THAT'S SO AWESOME!!! :) I wonder though how missing 2 seasons will effect them; will they be able to get back to form? I think they have a real chance to medal in the Olympics. They only question is: how will the judges treat them. The judges were far from generous to D&V in the first place, AND they don't usually like returning veterans. We should see... I am very glad, though, that after '02 Worlds disaster they regained enough optimism to do this. Yay! :p

(Though another way of looking at this is that they probably couldn't get much out of a pro career since all they "credentials" they have is one World Bronze. :( )

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm worried more about how the ISU will treat them, especially after they spoke out against the ISU...

diver chick

On the Ice
Wow I am soooo glad to hear this. I totally adore this couple!! They are such talented dancers :)

Lets hope it actually happens and something doesn't change their mind along the way!!

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I agree with Toni - I hope they are treated fairly by the ISU and the judges after what happened back in '02. :(
But - if their goal is to make it to the 2006 Winter Olympics then I wish them the best. Since there aren't many opportunities for pro ice dancers out there, I can't quibble with such a decision - it gives the people who are their fans and admirers more opportunities to see them compete and perform. And I really do like this team - I have liked them for a number of years. :)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I think they're lovely skaters but big whiny babies--always claiming "We wuz robbed!" It got old.:\ :sheesh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"We wuz robbed!" It got old.
Well, don't you think they were and are? At Worlds 2002, I thought they were.

Anyhow, I am so happy if it happens. I love their skating.

Dee

eliza88

On the Ice
Thrilled with this news!! They are one of my favorites! Good luck to them in their comeback!

eliza88

Lucy25

Final Flight
My response to this is YIPEE!! They are one of the only dance teams I have ever liked.

dfj

On the Ice
I'm thrilled. I love this team.

Saw them at Worlds 2001 in Vancouver and they brought the house down. With Vic & Shae gone, I have someone to cheer about again!!

I'm looking forward to seeing them again. They had a special style that put them apart from what I saw as phony passion in other teams. The majority of ice dancers do get carried away, imo.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Finally something to cheer for

I am so happy to see them back.

Even though I was rooting for them in the past because they came from one of the small federations, after they came out and publically scolded the ISU, I vowed to stand by them forever. I was expect past ice dancers to scold the ISU not an ice-dancing couple with no championship and *still* eligible. So, kudo to D&V and welcome back.

Last edited:

bleuchick

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I'm looking forward to seeing them again. They had a special style that put them apart from what I saw as phony passion in other teams. The majority of ice dancers do get carried away, imo.

Joe - what you have said is so true. And now that we have no B&K, we could use D&V, Dubreuil & Lauzon and the Bulgarians for setting themselves apart from the rest and add variety in dance.

bleuchick - Definitely, the Bulgarians too. And hopefully we don't have to sit through another jitterbug - it all looks the same. crazy antics nothing more.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
I think they're lovely skaters but big whiny babies--always claiming "We wuz robbed!" It got old.:\ :sheesh:

as I recall they had most of the ice dancers at the 02 worlds behind them saying they were robbed...

eliza88

On the Ice
IMO they had much reason to cry foul! In the Olympics 2 dance teams who placed ahead of them fell and STILL got the same type of scores! I think they should have won the bronze. Then the Israel couple places ahead of them at Worlds--Galit can't even straighten her legs!! I won't even get into how the Italians EVER made it to any podium!

D&V are always audience favorites and I hope when they return they will be judged fairly.

eliza88