Oda and the Chaplin Routine | Golden Skate

Oda and the Chaplin Routine

I believe Morozov gave Nobunari the routine. I doubt if Nobi would think of it. I am sure he was fast fed tapes and discs of Chaplin's movies. Well, he did it quite well. Better than Sikhilarudze? Not necessary to decide, I like them both.

However, Nobi will use it at the Olys and he will be quadless. He will be up against 2 old timers with consistent quads - Plushy and Brian both of whom have winning routines also, and if Abbott is having a good day, there is another quadman. Jeremy also is the most prominent musical skater, although the butterflies may hit him. Of course there is Dai, too.

Question: Will the Chaplin carry Nobunari to an Olympic gold, or is it set in stone?

Last edited:
Hey, don't forget Patrick! He may put in a quad too.

For that matter, so could Evan... maybe. (Didn't he say somewhere he plans to by January?)

To me any of these guys could win and the quad isn't necessarily the deciding factor... nothing's set in stone. It all depends on who's ON that night.

I don't think the Quad will be the decisive factor in winning. If everyone does it, and only Tomas gets the judges ok for it, there has to be something else. Nobi has a sparkling routine; Brian is so much improved in performance; Plushy is an intimidator.

The question if Nobi does the quad will that clinch the gold for him?

Oh how the Men will rule at the Olys.

seniorita

Record Breaker
As it is now maybe not. He has the best score of the season but it is not too high. But why he will be quadless?He can jump 4-3 and he has said he would like to add 4-3-3 or 4-3-2 in the season. He will have a quad in his Lp at least. Cause otherwise how he would get higher score than Teb where he skated great?

If he adds a quad will he perorm the program the same?
His pcs for the program are very good, can he get even better?He doesnt have to worry for his pcs, the program is a masterpiece and one of few that are complete and wonderful so far, and judges seem to like it. Joub and Plush dont have winners routines, at least not yet, I mean thats my opinion.
But he has to increase his Tes score , at the end of the night it will be the skater with higher marks.
I would put Lambiel first as a potential gold before Dai or Jeremy .

janetfan

Match Penalty
Does anyone have a youtube of Oda's quad?

I think Oda's quad and the fact that he hasn't shown it this season should be considered more like Patrick's quad. If they try it I hope they land it. If not, they still have good enough chances in Vancouver if they can skate cleanly enough without the quad.

I think you are right about the men in Vancouver. Several can have meltdowns, but there are still so many capable of executing a good program.

But about certain skaters I will belive it when I see.
Olympic ice is the slipperiest ice of all. :yes: :yes:

I think you are right about the men in Vancouver. Several can have meltdowns, but there are still so many capable of executing a good program.
If you remember, none of the top dogs skated their best in 2006 - not even Plushy. I'm hoping Vancouver will not repeat Torino.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If you remember, none of the top dogs skated their best in 2006 - not even Plushy. I'm hoping Vancouver will not repeat Torino.

hmmm, in Torino I think Evan skated his best in his LP.
I will give him a pass on his SP because he was very sick.

I will also give Plushy a pass - how much better did you expect him to skate in Torino? I mean he crushed the field.

Thank you ks Although it was in a pracice session, the quad was beautifully executed with excellent technique. IMO, he has the best flow out of his landings in all of skateland.

I will also give Plushy a pass - how much better did you expect him to skate in Torino? I mean he crushed the field.
I was not talking competatively. He deserved his win. But not just me, the consensus was that his scores were too high. He is not the greatest spinner, his footwork is standard Cossack style. yet he received those high scores. He won and I agree to it but the skate was ho hum. I think many others will agree, he was not at his best.

Trewyn

Medalist

Wow... I can only say I wish I was there to witness that in real life! That looks gorgeous!!! I thought Oda's triple axel-triple toe combo was also very impressive. There's so many good skaters in Men's; if many of them have a good outing at the Olympics, it could be a stunning competition! Right now it does look like Plushy's going to be golden again... His jumps are indeed intimidating!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thank you ks Although it was in a pracice session, the quad was beautifully executed with excellent technique. IMO, he has the best flow out of his landings in all of skateland.

I was not talking competatively. He deserved his win. But not just me, the consensus was that his scores were too high. He is not the greatest spinner, his footwork is standard Cossack style. yet he received those high scores. He won and I agree to it but the skate was ho hum. I think many others will agree, he was not at his best.

"Cossack style" ?? :clap: :laugh:

Not meant to be critical at all, just made me laugh, OK.

I kid all the time about Plushy - but as good as he is - he was under tremendous pressure to win in Torino. I don't mean pressure from the Russian media, just a more personal type of pressure - like maybe this would be his last chance to win the OGM.

Four years have passed and maybe he will do it again - but I don't think he will feel the same amount of pressure in Vancouver as he did in Torino.

I hear similar remarks about Shiz - but compared to the others I thought she skated really well in Torino. Could she have done better? Of course, but considering the pressure I thought she skated beautifully and deserved the Gold medal.

"Cossack steps" is a delightful description :yes: :thumbsup: - do you have equally colorful words to describe Plushy's sitspins? If so, please share !! :)

cornell08

Final Flight
Plushenko (never gonna call him Plushy, sorry, am not fond enough of him to do so) has absolutely no artistry in either of his programs! He couldn't touch Yagudin on 2nd marks and he's not gonna be able to touch Oda interpretation/performance-wise either-- at least, he ought not. At least Lysacek tries to up his interpretation and artistry (even if he looks weird doing it, its effort). How about a little heart and choreography every once in a while, Plushenko? He's an overgrown jumping bean! Oda for OGM (or Lambiel)!

Last edited:

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Plushenko (never gonna call him Plushy, sorry, am not fond enough of him to do so) has absolutely no artistry in either of his programs! He couldn't touch Yagudin on 2nd marks and he's not gonna be able to touch Oda interpretation/performance-wise either-- at least, he ought not. At least Lysacek tries to up his interpretation and artistry (even if he looks weird doing it, its effort). How about a little heart and choreography every once in a while, Plushenko? He's an overgrown jumping bean! Oda for OGM (or Lambiel)!

I agree with your whole post (even the anti-"Plushy" part). :clap:
Later in the season I don't think Plushenko's PCS can live up to Oda's and Lambiel's later in the season. I feel his over-confidence/ego weighs down his artistry significantly :eek:hwell:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Joe, as you know, nothing in figure skating is ever set in stone, but I am just very glad to have Nobu back, and I think that the Chaplin theme fits him like a glove. Kudos to his team for that one! :clap:

Thanks to all who posted the YouTube links to Oda's quadding! (I think I just made up a word there.:laugh: Let's see, can we make a verb out of it, too, as in "Have you quadded today?", or "No quadding before breakfast, please!" Best of all might be "To quad or not to quad; that is the question...." )

jcoates

Medalist
Speaking of quads, there was a mention on IN about hype Plushenko's agent and Mishin were putting out over the weekend at SA about increased quad difficulty.

He is supposedly working on absolutely ridiculous combos like 3a-4t and 4t-4t.

Even though I don't prefer his choreography and overall skating, it would be very tough to compete with that if he were successful. It should be noted that there was some acknowledgment by the agent that there are other skaters who are better stylists and that Plush's strength lies with the jumps.

schiele

Final Flight
Speaking of quads, there was a mention on IN about hype Plushenko's agent and Mishin were putting out over the weekend at SA about increased quad difficulty.

He is supposedly working on absolutely ridiculous combos like 3a-4t and 4t-4t.

Even though I don't prefer his choreography and overall skating, it would be very tough to compete with that if he were successful. It should be noted that there was some acknowledgment by the agent that there are other skaters who are better stylists and that Plush's strength lies with the jumps.

He's playing the Witt games with his competitors I guess.. I like his competitiveness very much.
As for Oda, I think even without the quad, if he goes 100% clean on both programmes he should be medalling easily. I also think that this Chaplin programme fits him like a glove. But above that I think that this LP is the best of this season and should get the highest PCS (I'm saying this as a Joubert, Plushy and Verner fan and Lambiel admirer :laugh:) I can actually go as far as saying that this programme is almost on par for me with Yag's winter in terms of the novelty never wearing off even after a million views since TEB. I'll see how it'll hold after a couple of years but for now I hope it'll get the deserved recognition. :thumbsup:

stevlin

On the Ice
Todd did Chaplin number

Todd Eldredge did a Charlie Chaplin number years ago and really portrayed that character very well. Oda did it well also. Poor Todd had back trouble then and failed to win US Nationals with it.