Is Rachael the one? | Golden Skate

Is Rachael the one?

So, Rachael Flatt just skated a near perfect long program at Skate.America. Seven triples, including 3F+3T combo. No deductions, no edge calls, no underrotations.

She is still a long shot to make the Grand Prix Finals, but IMHO she has established herself as the number one U.S. lady.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Even though she didn't win nationals last year, I still felt she was the number one lady back then. As much as I like Alissa Czisny's vulnerable style, there was something about Rachael that spoke to me. She comes across as a true athlete. I had the pleasure of seeing her short program at worlds last year, and she was a firecracker. I predict great things for her.

carolinafan4ever

Spectator
So, Rachael Flatt just skated a near perfect long program at Skate.America. Seven triples, including 3F+3T combo. No deductions, no edge calls, no underrotations.

She is still a long shot to make the Grand Prix Finals, but IMHO she has established herself as the number one U.S. lady.

I agree. Good to see her doing the 3/3

No. Mirai is. (Go, Mirai - prove me right.) :rofl:

Rachael is a worthy athlete and strong competitor, but not a star.

But then - maybe all the naysayers will inspire her to bust out to a new level. Go, Rachael! Good job at SA! :thumbsup:

i love to skate

Medalist
I think she is the closest thing the US has to a star. She sparkled on the ice in her long program. Her performance was great, she reached out to the audience, and her technique on the jumps was solid. Good for her - she seems like a great kid and a hard worker :thumbsup:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Yes, she is the one who looks like Kevin Reynolds.

:rofl:

But yes, if it's meant that Rachael is one of the U.S. ladies destined for the Olympic team, then I agree that she is. It is highly unlikely that she will implode at Nats. I've thought that she'll be competing in Vancouver even before her skate at SA.

Everything has just been building up so well for Rachael; she couldn't have planned it better if she tried.

Bill508

Rinkside
Shes a bit heavy.

Maybe someone already mentioned this as I haven't had time to read all the posts but Rachael would really shine if she lost about 15or 20 lbs. Just being honest here not rude as some may interpret..

R.D.

Record Breaker
whole post

:sheesh: 'nuff said.

Anyway- just one performance and people are already all over Flatt as "the one"? :rofl: I think it was just a really good day for her, and nothing more. I do hope she can build on it, but Nationals is going to be tough. I have a feeling that one might go to the last person standing...

Rachel has to be careful to build up to where she wants to be. it would be a shame if this turned out to be her best performance of the season (as it very well could be) and it went downhill from there. At least she will miss the GPF and has another couple of months to settle down and get ready for Nats.

Also, Ashley Wagner- I know this thread is not about her but I think it's relevant in a way. She also came out with a strong performance in the beginning. If she can get those jumps in good condition I think she could do even better than Flatt at her best. But she will likely make the GPF and it will be important for her to make a good showing there. So far those two are the front-runners but Flatt is starting to show some signs that she is not a machine like some people seem to think- a rare fall in the SP and a very average FS in her first GP event (actually forgot where it was- it's late).

How could I forget Ashley?? SHE'S the one! :clap: Go, Ashley!

Am I confusing? It goes like this:

1. Sasha! :bow: :party: :rock:
2. Ashley! :clap:
3. Mirai! :love:
4. Caroline! :agree:
5. Rachael! ;)

I just rewatched both Rachael's FP at SA and her SP at Nationals in 2007. To my eye, there is no comparison. She had a spark and musicality and a lyricism as a 14-year-old that isn't there now. She's not that cute little firefly any more. So if she is our top scorer, that's too bad. Solid is not enough. We're in a strange plight where our ladies divide the qualities of a star skater between them and none of them has shown that she can put it all together.

Well, none but Sasha.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's starting to look more and more like Ashley and Rachel are our best bets... but anything can happen that weekend in January.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Do I need to revise my signature? I guess so.

Oops! It's already disappeared - It was "Gimmie Kimmie!" :rofl:

I don't mean to make light of Kimmie's disappearance - it's sad.

Rachael is obviously a brilliant student-athlete and I hope she makes herself happy this season. I'm wishing Sasha will stay out of the way so that two new Olympians from the US can go to Vancouver.

Last edited by a moderator:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, I, too, think Rachael and Ashley are the most promising twosome.
Now if only Ashley trains herself not to UR her jumps, and Rachel for better posture, extension, and more expressive shoulders and arm movement...;)

Bennett

Record Breaker

If it had been the Nationals or the Olympics, she might have been. But one performance in a GP event would not be able to make her "the one" yet. She may be, may not be in the near future, a bit too early to decide. Nonetheless, it is lovely that she pulled herself together there and I am glad for her.:)

As I said in the GP folders, Rachael should definitely be one of the 2 skaters for the USFS to send to Vancouver. She's proven that she is good under fire with high tech, and that's important for cheering in the Olys.

The other skater to be selected for the Olys should also show, firstly that she is a very consistent skater, and back it up with high technical tricks. Is there one?

Mirai - needs consistency; the tricks are there.
Ashley - seems to be showing consistency but needs more exciting tricks.
Carolne - really needs to put ZING into her skating. she's good and has all those contorting body positions which are crowd pleasers. but she needs to speed it up.

Nobody wants to see a top skater falter with mishaps and lack of speed.

cornell08

Final Flight
Rachael is not the one. "The one" can never be someone who, even skating close to her best, cannot beat someone who turns in a bad performance. I am not of the belief that consistency is most important. True, nash equilibrium might suggest that Rachael is the safest bet ("she has the best chance of medalling based on her record and her reliability")-- but I'd rather have the possibility of a skater completely disintegrating or turning in a stunningly beautiful performance. With Rachael the latter is not possible due to her mediocre spins, spiral, and speed (and height on jumps). To me, just rotating a jump fully and completing seven is admirable, but it is not enough. I would much rather put Alissa on the Olympic team than Rachael because of what she is capable of and the intrinsic beauty of her skating-- even if we've never seen a perfect long program from her. True, she is more likely to bomb a LP than Rachael, but if they both perform a clean program, Alissa's score will be astronomically higher than Rachael's. However, I don't see Alissa being "the one" either. I feel like there's no one right now who is heads and shoulders above anyone else...but I've enjoyed Mirai's skating the most this season. We shall see if she can improve her jumps. She's definitely got the rest of the package.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty

Are you suggesting that a skater with such an obvious lack of polish (posture, spins, spirals, slow, and not much height on jumps) is a good thing?

"Poor USA Ladies" ;)