Is Rachael the one? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is Rachael the one?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something I was thinking about with regard to Rachael...some of the most well-respected skaters started out the same way Rachael is: technically strong and artistically, not so much.

Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan, and Midori Ito all started out as jumping beans who developed their artistry after they had their technical foundation laid down...Michelle at the earliest age, Kristi really when she was 19ish, and Midori even older before she began really focusing on improving their artistry.

That reminds me of something Dick Button said during 15 year old Michelle Kwan's exhibition at the 1996 Worlds: when you have great technique, it allows the artistry to come out. I don't know if Rachael will ever be an artistic skater--certainly she won't be by the 2010 Olympics. But I think it is good that she is focusing on her technique, especially with the harsh judging standards nowadays. Not all skaters develop at the same level and some who are not naturally artistic nevertheless develop their own style that allows their personality to shine through. I am thinking of Irina Slutskaya.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael is very short, less than 5'2", and she has a stocky build. She is never going to be tall and willowy like Kim. She couldn't afford to lose even 10 lbs without seriously destroying her athletic ability. I have met Rachael in person, face to face, and she is tiny in body as well as in height.

I agree. She would be also be a skeleton with that much weight loss.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, Rachael Flatt just skated a near perfect long program at Skate.America. Seven triples, including 3F+3T combo. No deductions, no edge calls, no underrotations.

She is still a long shot to make the Grand Prix Finals, but IMHO she has established herself as the number one U.S. lady.

It doesn't bode well for her though that she only scored 116.11 for that level of a long program performance. She still doesn't get much positive GOE (only +1.74) on her attempted elements and she still needs to improve her speed greatly. It's alarming that Team Flatt once again fell short on the spins at the end of the LP, just like at Worlds, giving up precious points on elements Rachael should be able to manage. As a respectful fan, I hope her team fixes that problem, once and for all, because that shouldn't be happening to a skater of Rachael's level. I know she has the ability to improve even further from this performance, and I hope she does and finally wins that elusive US National senior title. :thumbsup::):rock:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, she gave up 3.5 points (minimum) for the invalid spin. Looking at her SP protocol, she likely would have gotten a +1 on it, so 4.5 total for the element which would have put her at 120+ for her FS. Did you also not notice that her PCS mark went up between SP and LP and not just because the factor is different? If she skated the SP clean, she would have scored ~62-5 range. Based on the scores we've seen so far this international season, a low-mid 180s score would likely end up on the Olympic podium AND considering the amount of pressure and likely mistakes we're going to see at the Olympics, if she goes clean with similar content to SA, she could end up on the podium (since she'll have less pressure of expectations than any of the current medal favorites).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if I "trust" Alissa in Intl events as some of you mentioned - but if she comes first or second at Natls she deserves to go to Vancouver. It has nothing to do with the fact that this may be her last chance - and likewise, past failures shouldn't determine her fate either.

That would be fine if Alissa were fairly judged at Nationals. IMO, she was gifted with an unreasonably high score in the SP last year, which pretty much assured she would be the US Champion if she skated a good FS. But she didn't skate a good FS. I was there, and she was so stiff and uncomfortable right from the beginning of the FS that it wasn't a shock when she fell and followed that up with doubling one jump and leaving out a combination.

The skaters should be judged by what they put out there on the ice, and it would be far better to try to see the skaters with ISU judges' eyes. Alissa's PB score is 58.54, from 2005 Skate Canada, some 7.2 points lower than what Alissa was given at 2009 Nationals. Alissa's PB FS score is 109.78--also from 2005 Skate Canada, and that was for a FS with 4 triples, 3 combinations and no falls; Alissa's 2009 Nationals FS had 3 triples, 2 combinations and a fall, and she received a whopping 112.31.

At Worlds 2009, Alissa landed 3 triples (plus one which was downgraded), 3 combinations and no falls, and she received 106.50. But of course if Alissa had gotten a realistic FS score at 2009 Nationals, she would have finished 2nd to Rachael Flatt.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
That would be fine if Alissa were fairly judged at Nationals. IMO, she was gifted with an unreasonably high score in the SP last year, which pretty much assured she would be the US Champion if she skated a good FS. But she didn't skate a good FS. I was there, and she was so stiff and uncomfortable right from the beginning of the FS that it wasn't a shock when she fell and followed that up with doubling one jump and leaving out a combination.

The skaters should be judged by what they put out there on the ice, and it would be far better to try to see the skaters with ISU judges' eyes. Alissa's PB score is 58.54, from 2005 Skate Canada, some 7.2 points lower than what Alissa was given at 2009 Nationals. Alissa's PB FS score is 109.78--also from 2005 Skate Canada, and that was for a FS with 4 triples, 3 combinations and no falls; Alissa's 2009 Nationals FS had 3 triples, 2 combinations and a fall, and she received a whopping 112.31.

At Worlds 2009, Alissa landed 3 triples (plus one which was downgraded), 3 combinations and no falls, and she received 106.50. But of course if Alissa had gotten a realistic FS score at 2009 Nationals, she would have finished 2nd to Rachael Flatt.

I won't dispute the judging at Natls.....that is another can of worms.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is there something wrong with a "state school"? :scratch:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a state school, I just meant that Alissa went to school in the same town she lived in, so she could go to college, live at home, and skate without having to move and change coaches and live in a dorm. Also from the sounds of it she is quite intelligent, and could have probably gotten into a super elite school had she wanted to move to attend it and if finances weren't an issue. She had a full academic scholarship to Bowling Green so she was one of the smartest students there, meaning she might not have had to work so hard to get good grades she got, and like someone said, her major was international studies which is doable in an online setting. Both probably helped her pursue skating while in college.
If Rachael were to go to University of Colorado in Colorado Springs, she could stay with coach Tom and not have to live in a college dorm. Finding time to go to labs would be difficult if she is so set on science, but otherwise it would seem very similar to Alissa's college experience, and I have no doubt she could keep up with her training as she seems extremely driven. If she goes to Stanford or somewhere far away, she's probably going to have more the Emily Hughes' college experience, meaning she'd probably get a new coach and might have to sacrifice training for school, or take a year off if she wants to train full time. College can be approached in many ways

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
:):agree:

Maybe Emily Hughes deserves an automatic spot on the Natl team. She has attended Harvard. :scratch:

OK now we're just twisting words.

The original post was merely an objective appraisal of the difference in the rigor of the graduation requirements for Stanford and Bowling Green. I love how people always jump on the bandwagon whenever the "elitist" card is pulled, however unreasonably.

janetfan

Match Penalty
OK now we're just twisting words.

The original post was merely an objective appraisal of the difference in the rigor of the graduation requirements for Stanford and Bowling Green. I love how people always jump on the bandwagon whenever the "elitist" card is pulled, however unreasonably.

I felt like the post suggested Rachael deserves special consideration for a spot on the Olympic team because of her future plans to attend Stanford as a biology major.

I disagree just as I disagree Alissa should not be given a chance because some said she failed in the past.

What nonsense imo.

Rachael's future plans do not deserve special consideration by US Skating. If she wants to skate, let her skate. If she wants to leave her coach and go to school at Stanford more power to her.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Um ..... 2nd ....... or 3rd??

That decison left some fans feeling upset. But it's a new season so they will all have another chance.

I have no idea how it will turn out.......but let's see how Caroline looks this weekend.

cornell08

Final Flight
There is absolutely everything wrong with a state school :laugh:
...there's no way I could've missed that exchange.

(only joking of course)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I felt like the post suggested Rachael deserves special consideration for a spot on the Olympic team because of her future plans to attend Stanford as a biology major.

I disagree just as I disagree Alissa should not be given a chance because some said she failed in the past.

What nonsense imo.

Rachael's future plans do not deserve special consideration by US Skating. If she wants to skate, let her skate. If she wants to leave her coach and go to school at Stanford more power to her.

Janetfan, you seem to make it a practice to deliberately misconstrue other peoples' posts.

In NO way did I ever suggest that Rachael should receive special consideration by USFS because she is committed to going to college.

What I actually SAID was that RACHAEL would be going for broke because this might be her only chance to make the Olympic team. Rachael herself said in a recent article (on this board) that her making the Olympic team was in no way guaranteed.

In any case, the skater who actually received special treatment from USFS was Alissa Czisny last season. And yes, the USFS should consider the end results of that special treatment, and this year concentrate on judging the skaters on what they actually accomplish on the ice, not how pretty and elegant they look or how many years they have been competing.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In any case, the skater who actually received special treatment from USFS was Alissa Czisny last season. And yes, the USFS should consider the end results of that special treatment, and this year concentrate on judging the skaters on what they actually accomplish on the ice, not how pretty and elegant they look or how many years they have been competing.

Could not have said it any better. I feel like at every competition she competes in, the US commentators always mention how pretty Alissa Czisny is, how she is smart, and how she has gorgeous line. She IS super pretty and smart and nice and down to earth but I mean that doesn't mean she should get to win if she messes up. I still can't decide if I think she should have won nationals last year or not, I go back and forth. I wonder if people would think Alissa was so good if she wasn't so pretty though

R.D.

Record Breaker
What's happened has happened, and I won't dwell on the past or "what could have been". It's pointless.

That said, I do think Alyssa gets more credit for her skating than she may deserve. She may have impressive moves but her overall skating quality I find to be on the weak side...

Binthere

On the Ice
Rachael reminds that this is a sport. Also that the pressures are huge, to put it all out there in just a couple of minutes. Consistency matters. She is an athlete to admire. Does she win my heart? I'm not always "melting" but when think of "sport" and "competition" I think of Rachael as the convincing "athlete" and "competitor." That means quite a bit this Olympic year I should think, especially with only 2 places on the line, and then relatively low expectations for the US ladies at the World and Olympic level.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Janetfan, you seem to make it a practice to deliberately misconstrue other peoples' posts.

In NO way did I ever suggest that Rachael should receive special consideration by USFS because she is committed to going to college.

What I actually SAID was that RACHAEL would be going for broke because this might be her only chance to make the Olympic team. Rachael herself said in a recent article (on this board) that her making the Olympic team was in no way guaranteed.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your remarks. It felt like a few posts were making a case for special consideration do to circumstances such as taking certain university courses or that age could be a plus or minus factor in slecting the team.

Glad you agree with me that such thoughts are not right or fair. It is supposed to be a sport and although we as fans don't always agree with the judges, we can hope for fairness and for skaters' performances on the ice to determine their scores and fates regarding selection to the Olympic team.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Rachael reminds that this is a sport. Also that the pressures are huge, to put it all out there in just a couple of minutes. Consistency matters. She is an athlete to admire. Does she win my heart? I'm not always "melting" but when think of "sport" and "competition" I think of Rachael as the convincing "athlete" and "competitor." That means quite a bit this Olympic year I should think, especially with only 2 places on the line, and then relatively low expectations for the US ladies at the World and Olympic level.

ITA with this. Rachel is an athlete and a competitor. There are many talented players in tennis (my favorite sport) and some choke at the big moment. Others, seize it. Rachel knows how to seize the moment. So does Caroline Z (though she has her problems). Sure Rachel has mediocre spins and not much stretch in her spirals (Miki Ando won Worlds with the same limits) but her programs this years are good enough if not downright good and she sells the performance part well. I love what she is doing with Sing SIng SIng. Go Rachel!!!!!!!

I agree with the spirit of your post, but Feds do control sending skaters everywhere in the best interest of the Feds.

If a skater has done well in the GPs (not necessarily winnng) and makes the Finals for a final look, I think that would have been sufficient for a Fed to select such a skater.

Someone in the USFS must understand the nature of competitive figure skating - not just the Results of Competitions, but consider other factors such as consistency and vulnerabilty I believe Rachael has shown that, but I would like another look at the Finals, if she makes them. Three important skates should tell it all. Otherwise, it will depend on Nationals.

This season, there is only two places for the Olys, the second choice should also be considered by what results have shown in the GP events which I consider more major comps than the B comps.

Sasha is an exceptional case, and should be judged solely on the Nats.