Is Rachael the one? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Rachael the one?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's happened has happened, and I won't dwell on the past or "what could have been". It's pointless.

That said, I do think Alyssa gets more credit for her skating than she may deserve. She may have impressive moves but her overall skating quality I find to be on the weak side...

Alyssa's spins and spirals are probably the best of any lady skating today. But overall, I find her to be a very tentative skater. I think it would be a big mistake to send her to the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alyssa's spins and spirals are probably the best of any lady skating today. But overall, I find her to be a very tentative skater.

Same here. If she loosened up somewhat and was more secure on her jumps, perhaps she'd be placing a lot better than she is currently. But someone like Czisny is probably better suited for show skating anyway.

Hmm, I saw Alissa in a show once and found her totally boring (to my surprise). I think she's much better in competition. Not as in error-free---as in interesting.

I also think Sasha is far better (more interesting) in competition than shows. Of her recent show programs, God Bless America was the only one I really loved in a way I could compare to any of her competition programs. And I may have been a little biased (due to the patriotic theme).

Basically, I think it's simply an error to assume that just because someone makes jumping mistakes they belong in shows.

Now, Ryan Bradley is a good example of someone who CAN jump and ALSO belongs in shows. If and when he feels like it! What a personality!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Basically, I think it's simply an error to assume that just because someone makes jumping mistakes they belong in shows.

But that's NOT the reason why I suggest Alyssa would be better in shows. She has so-called "Wow" moves that I imagine could be shown off in a stage setting.

Hmm, I saw Alissa in a show once and found her totally boring (to my surprise). I think she's much better in competition. Not as in error-free---as in interesting.

Interesting- I think a couple of others have said Alyssa was boring. But I've seen her do galas on TV and she seems to be ok. Maybe live it's different, I dunno.

I mean, I remember saying that Cohen would make a great show skater- this was around 2006 or so. Then I went to see SOI in 2008, and when Cohen skated I found myself to be completely underwhelmed. I found several skaters (hell, even a couple of the guys!!!) to be more enjoyable than her. She just didn't connect with the audience at all, was completely cold. OTOH, Kimmie, who I criticized around the same time to be completely boring and non-inspirational in her gala performance, was surprisingly enjoyable...her love and joy for skating just came through and it was infectious. In fact, she was one of my favorites that year.

Well, lol I guess you never know then.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

I also think Sasha is far better (more interesting) in competition than shows.

Now, Ryan Bradley is a good example of someone who CAN jump and ALSO belongs in shows. If and when he feels like it! What a personality!

But that's NOT the reason why I suggest Alyssa would be better in shows. She has so-called "Wow" moves that I imagine could be shown off in a stage setting.

Interesting- I think a couple of others have said Alyssa was boring. But I've seen her do galas on TV and she seems to be ok. Maybe live it's different, I dunno.

I mean, I remember saying that Cohen would make a great show skater- this was around 2006 or so. Then I went to see SOI in 2008, and when Cohen skated I found myself to be completely underwhelmed. I found several skaters (hell, even a couple of the guys!!!) to be more enjoyable than her. She just didn't connect with the audience at all, was completely cold. OTOH, Kimmie, who I criticized around the same time to be completely boring and non-inspirational in her gala performance, was surprisingly enjoyable...her love and joy for skating just came through and it was infectious. In fact, she was one of my favorites that year.

Well, lol I guess you never know then.

I so agree with you both... Alyssa almost put me to sleep AND she fell. She's just pretty and sweet - nothing that screams "athlete" to me and this is a sport. Even show skating is a sport-ish endevour...

Now Sasha is a different animal altogether... I don't think she likes show skating OR competing. I think Sasha likes to win. Skating, gymnastics, foozeball - I don't think the sport matters - only the win. And therein lies the rub - she wants it too bad. In show skating - she looks bored.

Michelle Kwan is the same way and I've never been surprised that she had no interest in shows...she likes the challenge of competition. Its a personal thing for her and we, the audience, are apart of that challenge - winning us over and giving her the chance to show off... In my experience, this is also true of Irina.

THe great show skaters tend to be the best skaters period because like RD pointed out - they love to skate. they love to perform. And it shows.

But back on topic - I definately think Rachael will make the Olympic team and I have a strong feeling that she will outshine them all at the following Worlds and really make a case for herself during the next Olympic cycle. But since I thought the same about Kimmie & Emily - there's no telling what will happen...

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I so agree with you both... Alyssa almost put me to sleep AND she fell. She's just pretty and sweet - nothing that screams "athlete" to me and this is a sport. Even show skating is a sport-ish endevour...

You are very right, pretty and sweet she is. She seems like more of a ballerina than an athlete to me though.
Someone who does scream "athlete" to me is Joannie Rochette, she's a competitor and has lots of energy. Plus she's super buff, I wish more skaters looked like her

Alyssa almost put me to sleep AND she fell. She's just pretty and sweet - nothing that screams "athlete" to me and this is a sport. Even show skating is a sport-ish endevour...

I think Alissa's problem on the show circuit is the same as in competition. She is so fearful of the jumps that her whole program is constrained. I think that if she turned pro altogether she could do spectacular programs that featured maybe only a double Axel and a triple toe (although the Lutz is one of her better jumps) to accent the musical climaxes, and otherwise served up a banquet of spins, spirals and moves in the field.

The best program I saw all year was Yuka Sato at a local club benefit. She did a double Axel and a double something. She had the audience in the palm of her hand throughout.

Granted, Michelle Kwan would never go for anything so sissy. Jenny Kirk wrote in her blog that when she toured on COI with Michelle in the spring of 2005, Michelle did 6 triples in every performance and hit them all.

R.D.

Record Breaker
True. Alissa got her spotlight and a chance to shine as US Champion. So far, she's been a disappointment.

Meissner, a former world champ, knows this first-hand. So does Ando, another former world champ, and now Mao Asada, yet ANOTHER former world champ. (Sense a pattern??)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except that Meissner has a World Championship and a National Championship to her credit. Alissa's 11th place at 2009 Worlds wasn't awe-inspiring.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Except that Meissner has a World Championship and a National Championship to her credit. Alissa's 11th place at 2009 Worlds wasn't awe-inspiring.

True, but my original point still stands...Meissner was once on top of the skating world and she had nowhere to go but down- you can't do any better than 1st, after all.

Alyssa will go into this Olympic trial as the Defending Champ, and everybody is going to come prepared and gunning for her.

Sk8tr321

Rinkside
Alyssa's spins and spirals are probably the best of any lady skating today. But overall, I find her to be a very tentative skater. I think it would be a big mistake to send her to the Olympics.

If we are talking about spins and spirals you need to include Caroline. She received a level 4 and +3 GOE from all 9 judges for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3iqbmoiEo

Truley amazing. She has a lot of potential if she can fix her edge on the Lz.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If we are talking about spins and spirals you need to include Caroline. She received a level 4 and +3 GOE from all 9 judges for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3iqbmoiEo

Truley amazing. She has a lot of potential if she can fix her edge on the Lz.

i don't want to start talking about Caroline, (there is another thread for that) but it is not just the lutz holding her back. She has not been getting credit for her 3/3 on a consistent basis, (with her injury she is not even attempting it this year so far), and her PCS are not improving. She speed is probably the main factor, but also she has a bad habit of not performing to the music in the freeskate and going on autopilot. If she skates like she does in exhibitions, we would not be worrying about where our next star is coming from.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based on the scores we've seen so far this international season, a low-mid 180s score would likely end up on the Olympic podium......

Maybe, maybe not. Scores and skaters' performances from the GP to major events like Worlds/Olympics tend to vary greatly. None of the mens' World medalists from 2009 competed at the Grand Prix Final last season, for example. Some skaters are fall competitors and some skaters are winter/early spring competitors. They reach their peaks at different times throughout the season. Once a skater builds his/her consistency, the PCS scores do tend to build up too.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Meissner, a former world champ, knows this first-hand. So does Ando, another former world champ, and now Mao Asada, yet ANOTHER former world champ. (Sense a pattern??)

Alissa is different than Mao and Kimmie and even Miki though because she's older. Kimmie and Mao were on top when they were teeny tiny teenagers, then they had growth spurts and had to adjust there skating and based on what we're seeing happen to Mirai and Caroline, this adjustment isn't easy. Mao managed to adjust pretty well but Kimmie never really bounced back.

Alissa is 22, she's not going to suddenly grow 4 inches or undergo a period of teenage angst. Her issues are in her head, and it seems like she's been working to fix them. She has the chance now to make it, I think she can maybe do it because she obviously really wants to go to the Olympics and probably doesn't want to wait four years to maybe not make it again

Rachael is the one, but Alissa might be too

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
the one what, us marquee name future skater--no-why-
the other women skaters from russian, europe and asia will surpass all of the us younger skaters if they don't fight for it and it keeps being handed to them at nationals or skate america like mirai at nationals in 2008, like alissa at last year nationals and cup of russia, like ashley at cup of china--cup or russia she skated a bit better, like rachel at nationals and skate america.

how by being overmarked and NOT Counted wrong on ur's like negative goes on their jumps.
zhang can be but you are right, she needs to step it up a bit on jumps like higher and a bit more speed.
as far as technique all us women has technique problems,
at this year olympics a us women could medal (including Sasaha -she would have the less problem with the other skaters mentioned at moving up,)but it would require joannie, mao, miki ando,, caroline kostner, laura lepisto, alena leonva, and yu-na kim to mess up their programs. yes it is likely with what we been seeing and how they are skating but they would need help.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
as far as technique all us women has technique problems,
at this year olympics a us women could medal (including Sasaha -she would have the less problem with the other skaters mentioned at moving up,)but it would require joannie, mao, miki ando,, caroline kostner, laura lepisto, alena leonva, and yu-na kim to mess up their programs. yes it is likely with what we been seeing and how they are skating but they would need help.

I disagree, Rachael Flatt has more technical difficulty in her program than all those ladies except Yu Na, and Mao and Miki when they are on. Carolina Kostner falls way more than Alissa does, and Joannie, Laura, and Elena are technically on par with the US ladies but just more consistent and have less UR problems. In order for the US ladies to do well, the others don't have to mess up, they just can't afford to mess up. There's a difference

fairly4

Medalist
silverlake22

thank you--i agree with the last sentence. there is a difference between not affording mistakes and can afford mistakes.
rachel has been gifted in technical calls this year by Not getting called on UR at skate america especially on her triple double double and the triple right after and not being called ur in the short on her triple triple.
rachel can be--but All the us skaters to me has to fight harder.
thank you for your answer--i loved it.

krenseby

Final Flight
i don't want to start talking about Caroline, (there is another thread for that) but it is not just the lutz holding her back. She has not been getting credit for her 3/3 on a consistent basis, (with her injury she is not even attempting it this year so far), and her PCS are not improving. She speed is probably the main factor, but also she has a bad habit of not performing to the music in the freeskate and going on autopilot. If she skates like she does in exhibitions, we would not be worrying about where our next star is coming from.

Tinymavy,

Thank you for making a crucial point. It's not just Caroline's speed that's the issue. She tends to forget to get into the performance.