CD Friday Nov. 20th 6:30 PM Eastern Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

CD Friday Nov. 20th 6:30 PM Eastern Time

skatingbc

Final Flight
The Hubbells made the second group over Weaver and Poje. Where did they accumulate the points?

I think they accumulated more points from last year's JGP, JGP final and then Jr Worlds. Could be wrong though. I also thought it was interesting that Kevin van der Perren is skating after Patrick Chan. Just another piece of evidence that the ISU's World Standing is a huge crock.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Warm-Up Group 1

Andrea CHONG / Guillaume GFELLER CAN
dark shiny gray lightweight skirt that does not move well at all and exposes undies at inopportune times
deep vee neckline
black gold gloves on her
black pants, white shirt grey op-art diamond pattern vest

legs not kicking up at same time
a bit too close to boards once
timing not great
skirt movement very distracting
awkward move during the close

Score 24.27

Carolina HERMANN / Daniel HERMANN GER

Black pants white shirt black vest and red pocket square
bright red backless dress with a triangular skirt with a strange white splotch on her butt with a stripe leading from it to the hemline

hard to explain. This is very roller-rink in feeling rather than tango of any sort. Skated very smooth instead of sharp and crisp. Rather slow. Better than last couple.

Score 25.29

Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS
backless black dress with spaghetti straps and red string trim on bodice. Lots of necklaces and dog collar look.
he's all in black

They are sharper, faster and getting some tango feel going than the previous 2 teams. Deeper edges. Some two footed looking ness in a couple spots where I don't think there were supposed to be? Probably to deal with the small rink problem.

Score: 30.09

Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN
vertical stripe black/gray pants white shirt & gray/black stripe vest
slightly darker red backless with net over it, one armed dress with black lace insets and one elbow fake glove on opposite side. tasty black leaves on one shoulder
Required red rose in her blonde hair

On the whole, very nice, AFA I could tell. Could have been faster and had deeper edges, but really pretty good.

She says, "We did it!!!"

Score: 32.18 They are thrilled. Crowd goes wild.
Coach says, "Fantastic"
Kaitlyn giggles.

Into first place.

I'm a new P/B fan. They're so chic and intense. V/M need a new designer. Hell, were they that much better?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Warm-Up Group 2

Madison HUBBELL / Keiffer HUBBELL USA
Black dress high neck in front, bit bite out of the back, long sleeves, red bow/flower at back of short blonde hair
bodice is black lace
He looks John Denverish somehow. Red shirt black vest, pants. Could be the mullet.

It might be just me, but their timing seemed off in first iteration, particularly.
Legline slightly off now and then.

I'd have W&P ahead of them by quite a bit.

Score: 27.14 into third behind Bobrova

Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA
Very odd op artish brown and white pattern dress with matching hand band Log cabin quiltish. strappy crisscrosses in the back.
He is doing the rather seedy look somehow. His tie is in her skirt material. Stripe pants (dark) red cuffs and black jacket with lining in red

Much faster, and some impressive edges. Intermittently as sharp as it should be, but really good. Closer together than any previous couple, too. Should score well, I think

Score: 35.55 (SB)

Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA
Her hair has a 3 inch zigzag in the part.
Evan in red sparkly shirt, black sparkly striped vest and pants
Emily in a Charlestony looking dress in spangled purple with red fringes. High neckline, Backless with long sleeves.

Like Bobrova, there's some two footed bits. Not sharp. Nice legline as always, though. But that's where I'd score it. Behind W&P.

Score: 31.47 SB in 3rd place, behind W&P

Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN

Scott in black v necked jump suit
Tessa in very long red dress, sleeveless, v neck line, quite plain

My impression is that they can do this dance better than they just did it. Close together, good speed and edges, but not as crisp as I know they could do it. Visible adjustments to the rink size, I think. The odd bit of snow kicked up.

Score: 40.69.

I would probably have had it about 38, but what do I know. Significantly better score than anyone has had in a CD this year.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Hell, were they that much better?

Hard to say without the protocols to back it up. I thought they were pretty strong, precise, expessive, in perfect unison. There was one move though when they kind of 'bumped' into each other a bit, with their bellies. Must be a part of the choreo.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Beautifully skated CD by V/M and W/P. Not sure if I would have V/M that far ahead of W/P.

You guys from US have to be a party pooper, whenever someone outside US outscores your skaters. Typical.
Right. Asking a question or indicating a preference is sure proof of jingoism and bias. :indiff:

Oh, and BTW - my preference was for the French skaters. But of course we ugly Americans are notorious for our pro-French, anti-Canadian bias. (What am I going to do with my preference for Patrick? Guess I have to junk it 'cos he's Canadian.)

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm SO happy for Weaver & Poje!!!!!:biggrin:

They were excellent today, and they finally got credit for what they did. It would make my week if they could snag that bronze medal. Heaven knows their OD and FD are beautiful, and they should score really well (if they don't fall like they did in their first event)

V/M were fantastic as usual. I did notice them kick a tiny bit of snow up at one point, but other than that, it was amazing. They should win this hands down barring any unforseen disasters.

It would be amazing to see two Canadian teams on the podium. If I had it my way, V/M and W/P would be the two teams going to Vancouver in February.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
doris, just so I read you correctly, you basically agree with the ranking of the skaters but believe V/M should be a bit lower, right?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes-nearly 41 is a score for a nearly perfect CD, if you compare that to previous world championship winning CD's. Maybe 39, because it's better than D&W's, but I thought D&W were scored a bit high in the CD also.

I want to see the sharpness, no pushing, no snow kick ups, and the spirit of Pakhomova's tango ruling even when the music is turned off to score 40 to 41. No one has done that for me yet.

Dyan

On the Ice
Right. Asking a question or indicating a preference is sure proof of jingoism and bias. :indiff:

Oh, and BTW - my preference was for the French skaters. But of course we ugly Americans are notorious for our pro-French, anti-Canadian bias. (What am I going to do with my preference for Patrick? Guess I have to junk it 'cos he's Canadian.)

:laugh:

I was just about to make a comment about making a generalizations based on the comments of one person. And that person wasn't even referring to an American team.

Anyway, :clap: for W&P. I expected S&B to be in third place. Based on the OD's of W&P and S&B, if W&P can skate their Flamenco well I feel they have a good shot at holding onto third place at least until the FD section (I haven't seen S&B's FD yet).

And yes I am another American routing for a Canadian team.