OD - 12:00 EST - Saturday, November 21 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

OD - 12:00 EST - Saturday, November 21

Scout

Final Flight
Was that Tessa tripping over her dress?

edit: never mind - didn't look like it in the replay.

life684

Final Flight
60 points for that i was thinking 50....

Lets just give them the gold medal for olympics. Shilpband probably brought the entire judges...

Cinquanta are u watching this...

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
They SO DID NOT Deserve 60 pts for that mess of a OD. And judging by V/M reactions they know it..:disapp::disapp:

beep_beep

Medalist
I really like V/M's OD (seriuosly, this is the first program from them that I actually like), it's a beautiful and intricate dance, but it did not deserve 1st place on the OD tonight...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA
OD American Folk: Dixie Chicks Medley

Evan in leather vest (fringed) with conchos, jeans & leather chaps & light blue denim shirt & black cowboy hat
Emily in red with v neckline & cap sleeves and cut out back with ponytail

Twizzles OK, quite fast
Lift pretty ordinary
I still find the "White Trash Wedding" part rather odd-Evan starts doing sheepish stuff to acknowledge the
words, but Emily is not skating like someone just about to deliver a baby. Unison breaks and they got a
bit close to each other on the crossing part of the footwork.

Score 51.49 SB Total 82.96

Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN
OD Spanish Flamenco
Very lacy, ornate Flamenco outfit on Kaitlyn (black & red lace) Red and black flounces on the skirt.
Poje is vaguely toreadorized-black with red vest with epaulets.

She has a disappearing red fan like Pechalat's from 2007. She fans herself during the lifts. A bit odd in the standing on his
besti squat lift, but very effective on the rotational lift.

Nice stamping and skirt swishing to show flamenco.
First step sequence a little self conscious, second I enjoyed a lot.

Twizzles, second set significantly slower than first, but done.

Score 51.18 SB Total 83.36, still ahead of S&B

Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA
OD American Country: Thanks God, I’m a Country Boy
Fabian in red shirt with leather fringes and chaps
Nathalie in spiffy red boots and a short orange hula skirt, as at TEB. She still has a whip? lasso at her waist and
a blue bandana & pigtails

Better unison than at TEB
Nice smooth lift, flips over then flips back
Twizzles fast. At 400K I can' t tell whether they were perfectly synchronized.
Kept the character thoughout, I thought.

Audience clapped along nicely!

I liked it.

Score 56.05 Total 91.60 into 1st

Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN
OD Flamenco: Farrucas by Pepe Romero
Scott all in black with black pants and vest and white shirt.
Tessa in very long black skirt with a hot red lining and a camisole top Victoria Secretish

Tessa nearly falls on the corner. Shouldn't effect the level of anything much - it was at the end of the rink.

tapless tap (reminiscent of B&A last year) sort of effect with all the heel noises and the way you can't really do that much
stomping in ice dance.

Love the way she works the skirt and the lining to get the character
twizzles kind of off & wild (slip affected them, I think)

More stumbling, another trip. SHorten that skirt!

Lift very nice

Their arms are very nice and flamenco-ish throughout

Twist double twist to end (no kidding)

Score 60.57 Total score 101.36

Dare I say, that is kind of HIGH?

Last edited:

mishieru07

On the Ice
Urgh why are all my favourites bombing!! ): Nevermind, better now than at the Olympics.

2 freak falls from Tessa (eh but no deductions; didn't qualify as a fall I guess)!! Goodness, I hope they have those kinks straightened out by GPF.

Scout

Final Flight
Belbin/Agosto only got a 60.95 at SA. I have no technical eye for ice dance...but this would suggest that B/A are not near V/M or D/W (who scored a 63-something at NHK)

or is this just a 'you can't compare across competitions'? because a 3 point difference in the OD seems like a lot. and V/M getting virtually the same score as a clean B/A seems to say that there is a big difference in their skating, despite B/A clearly beating them at Worlds.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
The judging was ridiculous. Pechalat and Bourzat should have won the OD, yet the are 10 points behind V/M overall. Can anyone who has watched the competition claim that what V/M put on the ice is 10 pts better than P/B?

What a complete joke.

beep_beep

Medalist
I don't think it's really wise/worth comparing scores between different competitions. Different panels, judges, etc.
I'd wait until GPF to take some sort of conclusion...

(But that score was a joke.)

missysays

On the Ice
I think V/M didn't get too many technical deductions because Tessa's two stumbles weren't on a required element and no body part actually hit the ice so it didn't count as a fall? And while Scott had a major wobble on his twizzle he didn't actually put a foot down.

But having said that their performance or more program interpretation scores should not have been that high- its a gorgeous program when performed but they had noticeable performance breaks when Tessa and Scott had to stop and re-group after the second stumble. Oh well bad night... I'm sure they won't let it happen again.

life684

Final Flight
Belbin/Agosto only got a 60.95 at SA. I have no technical eye for ice dance...but this would suggest that B/A are not near V/M or D/W (who scored a 63-something at NHK)

That wreck of performance nearly as good as B/A folk dance from NHK, surely Judges are smoking something really strong.

Last edited:

mishieru07

On the Ice
I think V/M didn't get too many technical deductions because Tessa's two stumbles weren't on a required element and no body part actually hit the ice so it didn't count as a fall? And while Scott had a major wobble on his twizzle he didn't actually put a foot down.

But having said that their performance or more program interpretation scores should not have been that high- its a gorgeous program when performed but they had noticeable performance breaks when Tessa and Scott had to stop and re-group after the second stumble. Oh well bad night... I'm sure they won't let it happen again.

ITA. Tess didn't stumble on an element so their TES shouldn't have been hit. I did think they were held up on PCS; they did appear shaken after TWO fluke near-falls.

I'm hoping it never happens again either.

Is it just me or was P/B off-sync in their twizzles?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Ahh its times like these when it sucks being a Ice Dance fan.. probably my fave category but with the suckiest judging :cry: I hated looking at Tessa and Scott's faces in the K&C, they even looked kinda ashamed for getting that score for such a performance.

she needs to change the skirt (again). Still they are the team to beat at Vancouver IMO (and now even more looking at what home advantage can do to you :laugh:). Both of their programs are magnificient.:agree:

And yes the stumbles shouldnt hurt the TES but PCS wise they were so shocked with their own mistakes that they were skating by the numbers with no spark and fierce at all at the end of the program

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Okay, now that I have icenetwork I can see everybody and IMO the reason V/M won was because the other od's are just not that good. W/P have a great program but it's skated without much power and attack, IMO, or depth of edge, and P/B don't have good unison and are somewhat sloppy.

IMO it goes to skating "clean" but overall not terribly high quality, or making several obvious mistakes while having better skating quality on the parts that were not mistakes. I know regrouping goes to pc's, but it's still arguable, IMO.

life684

Final Flight
ITA. Tess didn't stumble on an element so their TES shouldn't have been hit. I did think they were held up on PCS; they did appear shaken after TWO fluke near-falls.

I'm hoping it never happens again either.

Is it just me or was P/B off-sync in their twizzles?

They are off-Sync in their twizzles but not substantial enough to put them 10 points behind the canadians

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wasn't just you mishieru, I caught that as well (P/B on twizzles).

I'd be fine with V/M in first overall, but not first with a bullet in the OD. Hell, frankly, I'd rather they got a score closer to 52 - just ahead of S/B and W/P (due to the strong musicality, solid basics, and probably higher levels). Lower wouldn't be unfair. But 60? I would love to defend the score, but simply speaking, I can't.