FD 12:15 Eastern Time, Sunday, Nov. 22 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

FD 12:15 Eastern Time, Sunday, Nov. 22

skatingbc

Final Flight
D/W lead by less than a point (though lets be fair, it probably should be closer to six or seven). But it's a good line-up, especially with the D/Ss gone.

Are you saying that you think D/W should be leading by 6-7 points? Seriously? Personally, I don't think they'll do as well at the GPF as they have been all season. They certainly benefited from DomShabs being injured.

i love to skate

Medalist
Tessa and Scott's straight line lift is called "The Goose" :laugh:

In Moir and Virtue's most famous maneuver, Virtue's shin balances precariously on Moir's back.

It's called 'the Goose.' We called it that because people were calling it 'the Eagle' and we didn't want it to be too American so we changed it," Moir joked, after their skate. "It was kind of our inside joke but now I'm sharing it with everyone."

It was a move that was difficult to master, with Moir and Virtue working on it for the better part of two years. After performing it last year during a season shortened due to injury, Moir joked that Virtue should "do a 360" jump on her descent back to the ice. Virtue liked the idea, and at Skate Canada, her in-air spin drew cheers from the crowd.

"Tessa and I really pride ourselves on doing different things and really doing moves that are our own," Moir said, "They are tricky lifts but we wouldn't have it any other way and we're always willing and excited to push ourselves with innovative lifts"

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/worldcupwatch/sport=fs/newsid=20389.html?cid=rsstsn

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Are you saying that you think D/W should be leading by 6-7 points? Seriously? Personally, I don't think they'll do as well at the GPF as they have been all season. They certainly benefited from DomShabs being injured.

Fair enough. But to suggest that they earned 60+ in their OD is patently false, in my mind. If they had been scored there as they should, their marks would be lower. D/W, who definitely benefited from DomShabs withdrawal, were generally scored accurately.

skatingbc

Final Flight
Fair enough. But to suggest that they earned 60+ in their OD is patently false, in my mind. If they had been scored there as they should, their marks would be lower. D/W, who definitely benefited from DomShabs withdrawal, were generally scored accurately.

Who is "they"?

If you are referring to V/M...Personally, I don't see V/M's score as being that outrageous. They didn't trip on any required elements, just transitions. I can understand the argument that perhaps their transition mark and execution mark should then be lower, but they definitely still should have been first.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Agree to disagree then. I recognize that the trip didn't happen on any elements, but they did botch their twizzles somewhat and one judge still gave them a +2 (they got a positive GOE overall for it). Plus the PCS they got implied that it was an incredibly well skated program, and I didn't get that. Drop the PCS down by three or four points overall, then it would've been fair. If you want to argue that P/B were overscored too, I won't disagree.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
Could anyone post a picture of their ending pose please?
I jump on the bandwagon as well, I like W/P phantom much better than D/W!
I'm happy they medalled!

I have to give a shout out to the W/P fd - they skated the h*ll out of it and the program design - especially the lifts - kicks a$$ with the music cuts. And the lifts suit POTO to a tee. It's really a perfect uber dramatic program and I must say the two of them look gorgeous and free skating it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
IN has the Free Dance up on demand, and I'm finally getting to watch the dances I missed.

Chong/Gfeller-I could have continued to miss this more happily. Poor Andrea Chong is wearing a dress that should only be worn by Debi Thomas to do her Wanda Beazal program-a huge black fluff of stiff fabric for a skirt that moved badly and made her look larger than she is. They had significant unison problems throughout.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The ending to V/M's FD? Oh my. I have never, ever in my LIFE seen a more picture-perfect, goosebump-inducing pose. It just made me fall in love! With them, with ice dance, with life. . . . OK, time to breathe and stop gushing!

Yeah, that was pretty perfect. It reminded me a lot of those Gordeeva and Gringov exhibition skates in the early nineties ( and of course Katia skated to Mahler's 5th for the tribute to Sergei).

Final Flight
can't deny the beauty of V/M's dance
this is a make or break program - it has to be perfect. in that i mean perfect.
tessa's skirt getting caught in arms and flying everywhere takes away so much from the complexity of the lift only to make it look messy.
the ending pose is to die for but....dont you think the over embellish much? they settle in their pose and take another 50 minutes to do fancy hand-work. if they clarify and edit AND receive and achieve the marks they deserve then definately deserve high placement.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No, I love the hands. The reaching, the intertwining, the settling.... but I'm not even being remotely impartial here. I got shivers.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
No, I love the hands. The reaching, the intertwining, the settling.... but I'm not even being remotely impartial here. I got shivers.

why is everybody raving over this FD? to me, this is not even close to being their best program. Their best FD was either valse triste or umbrella. This current program feels manufactured, too gimmicky, and the mahler is played at twice the normal tempo to fit all the notes into 4 minutes, to anybody that's classically trained, it sounds almost like a disco version of the original....

mishieru07

On the Ice
why is everybody raving over this FD? to me, this is not even close to being their best program. Their best FD was either valse triste or umbrella. This current program feels manufactured, too gimmicky, and the mahler is played at twice the normal tempo to fit all the notes into 4 minutes, to anybody that's classically trained, it sounds almost like a disco version of the original....

I can get that this programme isn't everyone's cup of tea (which programme is universally loved anyway?). My personal favourite is Valse Triste so far but the more I watch this FD, the more it grows on me. 1795 is right in saying that they need to be absolutely perfect for it to work, much like VT. It still has room to grow but I thought that was a sublime performance (I love the hands bit, but thought they should do it a little faster). Incredible lifts (the dismount from the Goose is amazing) and chock full with transitions. I thought their FD score was very fair; they deserved it imo. :bow:

As a classically trained pianist, their version, while fast, didn't sound disco to me. Much as I like the "normal" tempo versions, I should think that if they choose that, many casual watchers might just fall asleep. A lot of people are already complaining that the Adagietto is monotonous (this I disagree). The faster version works for them so I'm fine with that.

Huge shout out to W/P! Love love love their version of POTO! Those cuts are gorgeous (If only D/W had cuts like those!) and I love the choreography. I would really like to see more from Shae-Lynn in the future (Maybe V/M could get her to choreography for them lol).

So very excited for the GPF; can't wait for the showdown between the NA teams. And of course seeing the Shibus again :love:

Enthusiast

On the Ice

Please, you said the same thing about Umbrellas ALL THROUGHOUT the SEASON and called their past FDs gimmicky and fake like Pink Floyd, which you called a desperate attempt for attention.

Gimmicky and manufactured? Have you watched D/W"s FD?

sktgirl6

Rinkside
tempo of music

sometimes when you watch programs on tv and the commentators talk about the music tempo ,the highs and lows , the building up to the music, etc etc. why is it then that some teams can skate to music that you would find on elevators and not even nice at that ,and its the best. Because for the longest time teams skated to music that had different tempos,is it a new rule that teams can now skate to music that is just one tempo all the way through. Can someone tell me the difference in this. thanks

mishieru07

On the Ice

Let's not go that way ... Much as I dislike their POTO FD, let's give them some credit for it. They do a hellavu job considering the corny and worse, imo crappy music cuts. Weaver /Poje and Chan are also doing POTO and I thought their programmes were good! I wouldn't go so far as to call it "gimmicky", perhaps a little "manufactured", although I concede it isn't an original choice and reminds me far too much of Chock/ Zuerlein's FD last season.

I don't think V/M's Mahler FD is manufactured or gimmicky either (best example of gimmicky would be K/N imo) but that's my opinion and cassieandcheetah is certainly entitled to hers.

Whatever it is, I'm loving that FD. Pure beauty, elegance and a great vehicle to show off their chemistry and lyrical style. If this programme is well-skated, it could definitely win gold. And deservedly too imo.

katha

On the Ice
I think V/M's FD is well-choreographed, suits them perfectly and the music is to die for. :) I wouldn't say they are "gimmicky" ("Umbrellas" OTOH...but that's a different topic :biggrin:), but especially when looking at Tessa IMO they are "one-note" in presenting the program. I like everything else about it, but her endless beatific smiling starts to bother me more and more. Doesn't she hear the nuances in the music? And if Zueva told her to have one fixed expression throughout, why? To undermine the effect of the program? It doesn't make sense to me. I wonder if the fact that the music stays more or less on one level throughout may hurt them later on. Because if they're not one hundred percent on or make mistakes, the whole thing falls apart. The choreography could perhaps build more "light and shade" into it, so the program has a clearer structure?

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
they need to speed it up a bit slow--
personnally perfer Davis and white- better than Virture and Moir
but Virtue and Moir definitely better than Belbin and Agosto.

right now the OGM is between Davis and White and Virture and Moir.

Great job virtue and moir better than last years worlds and most definitely better than FRance.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
but especially when looking at Tessa IMO they are "one-note" in presenting the program. I like everything else about it, but her endless beatific smiling starts to bother me more and more. Doesn't she hear the nuances in the music? And if Zueva told her to have one fixed expression throughout, why?
I totally agree. This is what I mean by "gimmicky" not the lifts, but their expression, especially hers, coming off as stilted and not entirely genuine...Esp the holding of hands and looking up at the sky, esp...that move just did not do it for me.

And enthusiast...I swear if I ran into you in an alleyway, just you and me, I swear I would run for my dear life. You're just way too sinister. How could you hold on to my every word dating back to, like, 2007, misinterpret them however way you like, and hold me responsible? Besides, everybody here admits I am as entitled to my opinions as anyone else . I'm not trying to malign V/M in any way, I used to be a huge fan back when they did VT, but their frontrunner status I feel like has gotten to their head a bit and I haven't appreciated the way they belittled B/A (for instance, expressing their consternation at B/A m being ranked ahead of themselves after 2009 Worlds CD) since they left shpilband. They got plenty of their fans, and me saying that I do not enjoy their current FD 100% is not going to affect them in any way. so please chill out and leave me alone.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
but their frontrunner status I feel like has gotten to their head and I haven't appreciated the way they belittled B/A (for instance, expressing their consternation at B/A m being ranked ahead of themselves after 2009 Worlds CD) since they left shpilband.

Ok, you are going to have to explain this statement. How exactly have they "belittled" B/A??

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice

and yes, I have watched them, many a time. As many have commented, I do lament their selection of music, I wish that they have selected the Phantasia version instead (lloyd-webber and S.Chang), but even the less-than-optimal music selection does not negate the fact that they skate oh-so-well. Like how I used to wonder why Bourzat and Pechelat could never win any competition, until I saw their skating up close and saw how sloppier they looked than other top teams and skated farther part from each other than most couples. We may wonder forever about judging, but I think judges tend to be correct about who can actually skate well, and who can't. Ice dance IMO, shouldn't be just about performing alone.