Mens Short Program Friday 19:55 Eastern Time Nov 20th | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mens Short Program Friday 19:55 Eastern Time Nov 20th

Kissx3

Final Flight
Too bad for Chan but not really out of the ordinary given all the other expected favorites who bombed their first competitions. Kinda bad to leave that as your last impression internationally prior to the Olympics.

mishieru07

On the Ice
I feel sincerely sorry for you Patrick Chan fans, I know how you feel, I can't enjoy skaters (even my favs) that I fear are going to fall. Now I wish I didn't even watch.

I know. I think I won't watch the Olympics live; it'll be too much ): Every time I watch pairs and singles now, I get scared that they'll fall on the jumps.

OH PATRICK! D: Hopefully he'll redeem himself in the LP; didn't Joannie do that? Okay at least he stays in final flight.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
For sure janetfan. I think Patrick's scores for transitions were a bit high but very high for performance for that performance. Still, the placements are correct IMHO.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Well, it's
1 Jeremy ABBOTT
2 Daisuke TAKAHASHI
3 Denis TEN

A nice line-up for tomorrow.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats To Jeremy, Dai and Denis. Great figure skating from the top three men tonight.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ummm... no, he fell on it. (Unless I missed the other one that he did).

Yeah, but falling in the warm up could be nerves too.
I think Patrick psyched himself out. All that talk beforehand about how he couldn't wait to show the world what he could do and show he could beat Plushenko without quad blah blah ... That kind of talk gave me a bad feeling. Patrick took it too hard that he had to miss his first Grand Prix. It's like he felt like he had to have some sort of mind-blowing competition at SC or nobody was going to take him seriously. But he just needed to skate clean! We already know what he's capable of ... he's the world silver medalist! Hopefull he will calm down for tomorrow.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
General comments: Daisuke seems a bit out of shape still in that his spins and jumps seemed a little labored but the footwork is so fine. Hooray for Jeremy for having one of the best short programs this season. And big hooray for Denis Ten. I've loved this little talented scrappy guy since last year. One of the most promising young skaters out there and a tough kid. Brezina looked a little weary. Patrick, well we all know how good he is but he's really rusty. Going to be an interesting season. Carriere is being surpassed.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I think Patrick psyched himself out.
I expected a clean sp from him, because that was his last season's program, too. When one does something for so long, you'll think the experience will outplay the nerves, performing on autopilot and all.
I more expected an impefect lp.

ae9177

On the Ice
Congratulations to the top 3. I'm so impressed with Denis Ten tonight! :rock: What a showman! So far Denis and Michal are my favorite youngsters going into 2014. :yes:

10 points difference between the top 6, that's the way I like it, tomorrow's competition will be very interesting!

figuristka

Medalist
So glad Radio Canada showed this. I felt Patrick looked tense on warm up too and somehow this was not going to be a great performance, he is only human.First performance and in Canada.

Outcome was about right for the top men, Abbott, Takahashi and D Ten were really exciting to watch. Brezina, i like his LP, he is a great jumper and skater but this short program is not very well choreographed. Wish he had something better. Hope Chan skates better in Free and at least medals.

amateur

Final Flight
Final outcome of this is still hard to predict... Patrick could possibly still win, if he is able to shake this off and if he is in good enough condition, and IF Abbott and Takahashi don't skate particularly well tomorrow. If Chan really is still rusty though, then it's more likely to be between Abbott and Takahashi, Chan more likely for Bronze. Denis Ten and Brezina potential spoilers if either has a great skate, while others bomb... who knows?

sadalou

Rinkside
The big name skaters automatically get the top pcs even when they are far from their best.

I disagree with you. Chan deserve his PCS even if he had a bad day technically. The performance note should be affected by his technical errors but not the skating skills or interpretation which was incredible IMO. PCS doesn't necessary need to be bad cause it wasn't very solid in his spins and jumps cause these are marked in the TES.
In fact if I remove all the jumps and spins, it's the program that I enjoy the most with the transitions and footworks. But it's just my opinion. I hope Chan will have a better performance tomorrow for the long program.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I expected a clean sp from him, because that was his last season's program, too. When one does something for so long, you'll think the experience will outplay the nerves, performing on autopilot and all.
I more expected an impefect lp.

He said in an interview that he kept his SP music but changed the choreography to the extend that no one could recognize it. So it's like a new SP.

It's really a surprise SP result for Chan. I felt sorry for him. Maybe he spent too much time talking with journalists, and studying on other competitors.:p

I wish he could put himself together tomorrow and get into top three.

Congratulations to the top three finishers!