Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Mens Short Program Friday 19:55 Eastern Time Nov 20th

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I really love Abbott's skating, with a passion. In addition to his technical brilliance, I'm just in awe of his musicality, his style, his ease of movement, and his expression. When he's on, nothing he does is short of amazing. If he could just learn to be consistent, he really deserves to be an Olympic champion.
    Last edited by shine; 11-21-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    The placement is fair, but I don't really get why an clean Takahashi got lower PCS than Chan who messed up? Sure, Dai's a bit rusty, but still.

Edit: They called him on the 3t, underrotated? Ok, so he wasn't completely clean, but he didn't fall.
    Last edited by Milas; 11-21-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Custom Title
    Chan seems so arrogant. His skate was bad. Dai looks like he is improving. I hope he peeks at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Watched my TVU recording just now (but missed the first 20 mins or so). I can't believe I missed Denis Ten in LA (traffic) and I missed him again tonight!

Anyway yay for Daisuke. Love the program, love the choreography, love his passion. The spins were a bit weak but I got goosebumps!

Jeremy was great again. The landing of the 3axel was neat! I love how relaxed/ intentionally loose (can't think of a good word) his upper body movements are.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Oh, sure! Seeing as how Chan got the highest PCS scores for a program that was a piece of C**P, no doubt if he just shows up and lands a few triples, he'll easily sail pass the 5 men ahead of him. If he's not perfect, he'll get PCS scores 10 points or more higher than the other men.

This is Skate CANADA, after all.

How Chan could get such high PCS scores with a performance that included an underrotated 3A with a fall, only a 3/2 and a shaky 3Z, two botched spins and messy footwork? Yes, he should have been way down in the standings, but he should NOT be 10 points out of first place.
    hmmm. I like Chan but not that much, and he can perform a heluva a lot better than what he showed.

Do we actually believe the 6.0 problems of the past have been resolved? hmmm

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    Does anyone have Chan's SP video?
    Last edited by Charlotte Elizabeth; 11-21-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't know, but the PCS are so confusing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Elizabeth View Post
    Does anyone have Chan's SP video?
    Someone has uploaded Chan's SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Il7oA0Ymg0
    Last edited by life684; 11-21-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Custom Title
    message deleted
    Last edited by hikki; 11-21-2009 at 07:52 AM. Reason: found an answer myself

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by life684 View Post
    Someone has uploaded Chan's SP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Il7oA0Ymg0
    Thanks. I was so surprized about his spins! He wants to appear relaxed but he did struggled out there.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Elizabeth View Post
    Thanks. I was so surprized about his spins! He wants to appear relaxed but he did struggled out there.
    I still love Patrick, but he really needs to perform in more competitions before Vancouver. His near-falls in his spins reminded me of Daisuke's fall during his step sequence in his SP at NHK--obviously he's not match ready yet, but like Daisuke, with a few more competitions under his belt he can rebound quickly.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjl View Post
    I still love Patrick, but he really needs to perform in more competitions before Vancouver. His near-falls in his spins reminded me of Daisuke's fall during his step sequence in his SP at NHK--obviously he's not match ready yet, but like Daisuke, with a few more competitions under his belt he can rebound quickly.
    Is he going to 4CC?

A good point, but what the discussion has brought up is about Chan's PC scores in this portion of the SC. Was he held up? I think he is one of the many top skaters today but it seemed to me that he was kind of held up in the SP, imo.

My comment on the PC scores is just that they are judges' opinions as the performance scores were in the 6.0 system. They are not quantifiable by those bullets, but are dependent on an opinion. Very easy to give negatives as well as positives to each bullet. And a skater and his coach can challenge only their own scores. I am not sure, and I don't believe, they can challenge other competitors' scores.

Rinkside
    Totally agree. At the beginning of the programme, I was thinking his skating was not so bad even though he fell, but after that spin I understand why people here say his PCS is too high. anyway his programme looked messy.

Daiske's fall during the steps at NHK was just awful, it destroyed entire programme.

Custom Title
    This has been such a topsy-turvy GP for the men with only two skaters, IIRC - Oda and Evan - medalling in both of their events. Anything can happen - and has! No one is invincible and no one has a lock on any of the podium places! imo it's such a "head" game this season especially, that the one with the best work ethic and is strongest mentally and most consistent is likely to be on top in Vancouver.

Meantime they still have to determine the other GPF competitors.

IMO Patrick had too much adrenaline working against him this time. He started out skating so fast that I saw "an accident waiting/looking to happen!" Add that to the pressure of not having skated yet, the new choreo to old music - it's always harder to relearn something than to start fresh imo - and the expectations of others that rest on his shoulders, well - we saw the results. Hopefully he'll put that behind him and do better today. Should be quite a competition! Bring it on!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast