Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21

Medusa

Record Breaker
So Patrick's flips got edge calls.
What I find funny is that an edge call means mandatory deduction, between -1 and -3. Lesser known skaters always get more deduction when their jumps are marked with an "e", than top skaters.

Just look at Chan's Flip here or at Joubert's Flips at NHK: they only get -1, sometimes just a 0. Look up skates of lesser known skaters, they often get a -2 for an "e".

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Just look at Chan's Flip here or at Joubert's Flips at NHK: they only get -1, sometimes just a 0. Look up skates of lesser known skaters, they often get a -2 for an "e".

I thought it's possible if all other aspects of the jump outweight that one flaw.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What I find funny is that an edge call means mandatory deduction, between -1 and -3. Lesser known skaters always get more deduction when their jumps are marked with an "e", than top skaters.

Joubert has an amazing Triple Flip.

Basics

On the Ice
I already knew about Patrick's lip since last yr. finally he got caught.

but once again, Daisuke got away with his Flutz. why? not even attention call!

gourry

Final Flight

And may I add Oda to the list? :p Anyway I kind of felt that they seem to be more lenient on flutz than lip for some while.

ks777

Record Breaker

Because Daisuke always make sure that the juges focus on his hair instead of his take off edge.. that's why his hair look like that.

As for Oda, he had his fly down at NHK to make sure the judges focus on something else other than his take off edge. You need to be creative in order to avoid getting "e" and "!".

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Because Daisuke always make sure that the juges focus on his hair instead of his take off edge.. that's why his hair look like that.

Yeah! That's the strategy, and it does seem to work!

I'd advise Evan to do something alike in Vancouver, for his 3A's sake.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan

That's an interesting point.
I also wonder if it's fair to penalise a wrong edge jump more severely than a jump, say, with a step out. Hasn't this sometimes been the case?

Speaking of calls, in the earlier CoP season(s) ladies use to get more calls than men!

Basics

On the Ice
It will be very interesting to see how the callers deal with Brian's Lip, Daisuke's Flutz, Oda's Flutz, and Johnny's Lip at the grand prix final.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So all the complaining people did here about Patrick Chan and "after all This IS Skate Canada" proved to be unfounded (as always). Jeremy Abbot of the US won and Patrick ended up in sixth place. - So much for the fixed theory.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think it is wonderful to see the level of sophistication Jeremy brings to the ice.

His movement to the music, his attention to nuance, his posture and line, along with such beautiful and original choreography is simply marvelous.

He seems to be a whole step up from some of the other big name skaters.

Of course that is very subjective and just my opinion.

oh, man, Jeremy and Daisuke in first and second? Wheeeee!

I'm really sorry to hear about Patrick's fall, though. I'll have to read back and find out more.