Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Mens Free Program 16:00 Eastern Time Sat Nov 21

Oscilla

On the Ice
Good job from the top guys! Such a shame about Denis, I was hoping he would medal here. :( His SP was fabulous.

Oda doesn't flutz. He has a very short Lutz approach and sometimes tilts his body to the inside, which might make it look like a flutz with a bad camera angle, but usually it's a clean Lutz (barring injury or breaking in new boots, a'la GPF 06).

Here's a nice video showing a couple of his Lutzes filmed from behind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHUXkQaTlQ
It's clearly visible that he rocks onto the outside edge and doesn't switch to the inside.

SusieH

On the Ice
Joubert has an amazing triple lip. He himself said in an interview that his flip is a lip and he doesn't have a flip. I think he is very frank not only about others but also about himself and I kind of like it.:p

He did? LOL I'm liking this guy more and more :biggrin:

Love this podieum! :agree: Congratulations to the medalists. The line-up at GPF looks great too. Haven't watched any of the performances. Very looking forward to it, especially Jeremy, Dai, and Alban. It seems Patrick Chan had one or two awful falls? Hope he didn't injure himself and has a happy reunion with his jumping ability soon.

There will not be any tie in Men's although 3 of them are tied. It will be

Oda
Lysacek
Joubert
Abbott
Takahashi
Weir

I'm sad. Michal missed it because Preaubert was a Spoiler and he is not in the Final also. Oh well, they can battle it out in Euros before Vancouver.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I read about Jeremy Abbott's 14 yr. old friend dying in that horrific ski accident the other day (I extend my condolences by the way), but what I find intriguing is that his SP music A Day in the Life by the Beatles is said to be about John Lennon's mother, Julia, dying in an equally horrific car accident (i.e. she was hit by an off duty drunk policeman) when John was a teenager himself. Just a little info.

Back on topic, congrats to all the medalists. Just remember, Nationals & Olympics are the big ones, nobody wants to peak too early. Good luck!

Marine63

Rinkside
Jeremy Abbott's FS

Can someone give me a link to Jeremy Abbott's FS from Skate Canada 2009?

Thanks,

RWT

amateur

Final Flight
Just saw Chan's FS on youtube.

I'm so very impressed by the different interpretive style he shows in his movement in this program. What fantastic skating skills, what flow! :love:

What a rough competition for him! I'm sure he's glad to get it behind him...

jennylovskt

Medalist
Protocols are up...

1. Jeremy got a positive GOE of 1 on the quad.

Jeremy Abbott, an artistic skater with a quad and plus GOE? Wow! Congratulations! Can't wait for the Nationals. How come no one post his LP on Youtube?

Having seen Chan's LP, it's painful to watch. All the hypes and pressure didn't do good to him.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Congrats to the medalists!

Some impressions:

Chan: He has a wonderful choreography to really great music (I love POTO), but of course he needs to succeed in jumps, LOL. Early in the season I thought that music does not suit him, but now I had to change my mind.

Takahashi: WOW, that was just great, brought tears into my eyes. He is coming back!!! Deservedly he won the freeskate.

Abbott: Beautiful choreography and his skating is such a joy to watch.

Ten: I really love this skater!!! And he is only 16....

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
So all the complaining people did here about Patrick Chan and "after all This IS Skate Canada" proved to be unfounded (as always). Jeremy Abbot of the US won and Patrick ended up in sixth place. - So much for the fixed theory.

My simple opinion: the chan´s SP was overscored (or that of Takahashi and abbott underestimated) to support him near the podium (or to give him the gold, simply) But the judges cannot do anything if he fall and staggers in his LP....

macemace1980

Rinkside
I think its:
1. Nobunari Oda 30
2. Evan Lysacek 28
3. Brian Joubert 24
4. Daisuke Takahashi 22
5. Jeremy Abbott 22
6. Johnny Weir 22

but feel free to correct me. if it's right though, big kudos to American men

Thank you very much for the information.
I am so happy for them. American skaters, Japanese skaters AND Brian!
Go Brian and Evan, Evan's LP programme is my favourite so far.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I feel that Abbott was nice but his program was a bit boring. There are not many changes. It's kin of serious and not very expressive. He is also a bit slow and his jumps are not very high. But I liked his costume. It looked nice on a tall man like him.
Takahashi was a lot of fun. Very entertaining, enjoyable performance. Many things going on.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I only saw part of the first group, and Chan on youtube. Some observations:

1. KvdP and Pirates: it's worse than Brian and the Matrix! :eek: Also, he was looking about as fast as Caroline Zhang, only less graceful. Not a good competition for Kevin and Jenna - I hope to see them in better form at Europeans.

2. Contesti - not much to say. I was getting sleepy just watching it. Dull program, music was all wrong for him, though he tried to sell it.

3. Chan - yikes, what an awful fall. Good for him for trying to get back into it, but I still hate this program for him. Can someone get Patrick over to Shae-Lynn Bourne? Please? Shae-Lynn knows how to put together CoP-savvy programs that look like more than the sum of their parts. Or Kurt Browning, he could get Chan to do something fun. At the age of 18, he should be having fun on the ice.

4. I like the podium :rock:, and the GPF implications of it, other than Tomas getting left out. But he has only himself to blame :frown:.

roma

On the Ice
I'm happy both Jeremy and Takahashi made the podium and made the final, too.

Any links to the mens FS vids in YT? TIA!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Judge #4 and #8, their PCS ranged from 4's and 5's (KVDP) to 9's (#4 Jeremy and #8 Dai, respectively). Very wide. Although both Dai and Jeremy were great, 9's???

Medusa

Record Breaker
Judge #4 and #8, their PCS ranged from 4's and 5's (KVDP) to 9's (#4 Jeremy and #8 Dai, respectively). Very wide. Although both Dai and Jeremy were great, 9's???
Why not? Lysacek also gets 9s. Joubert gets 9s. It's not like Jeremy and Dai got those scores while falling all over the place.