Rachael Flatt: Breaking it Down | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt: Breaking it Down

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Rachael Flatt won the long program at Skate America despite not receiving credit for her last spin, beating Korea's Yu-na Kim's score by nearly five points. But the 2008 World Junior Champion had help as Kim fell on her triple flip and struggled with two other jumps.

More

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love all the detail about her program strategy. She apparently can, like Jeff Buttle could, rearrange her program to compensate for errors, while maximizing COP points.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Another great article from GS! :thumbsup:

I've always said Rachael is the one that reminds me of Sarah Hughes the most, as regards American Ladies. Both brilliant, both tough competitors, and both going for the 3/3(s). :cool:

That said, I still miss the Rachael from 2007/2008, the one whom reminded me of Oksana Baiul the first time I saw her. Pure movie star, full of effervescence, light, bubbly, joy. Lol, I recall they showed a clip of her when she was a baby skating, and Dick Button laughing saying "you need a gimmick" because at the time they callled her something like "Baby Doll" or "Show Baby" because even at 3 yrs. old she was like a little movie star out there. I wish they would show that clip again. I saw a little of that in her SP this year, but boy what I wouldn't give to see the Rachael from 2007/2008, especially 2007, when she blew me away the first time I saw her skate...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the fine article on Rachael.
I enjoyed reading it and it was interesting hearing her thoughts about competing.

I wish Rachael all the best at Nationals and if she makes the Olympic team I will be delighted to support such a talented, hard working young lady.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another great article from GS! :thumbsup:

I've always said Rachael is the one that reminds me of Sarah Hughes the most, as regards American Ladies. Both brilliant, both tough competitors, and both going for the 3/3(s). :cool:

I think Rachael has better technique than Sarah. I can't imagine Sarah ever putting down a 7 triple program under the current system, with no under-rotation or edge calls.