Pairs SP Friday, November 20, 11:50 am Eastern Time | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP Friday, November 20, 11:50 am Eastern Time

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
If I registered, would I be able to watch replays and video clips, or only the live stream? Thanks. I'm in the US, so if the former, I'll register tout de suite.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry so late in replying, yes, if you registered with IN you would be able to watch all the archives, including replays, et al.

To tell the truth I like IN better than NBC, ABC, ESPN, et al. Lol, I don't even watch my t.v. set anymore. I just go to IN for anything I missed or want to watch, even Nationals from 2008, etc. :)

moon119

Spectator
Where are the people saying Shen/Zhao were overscored after the SP in SA?
compared to S/Z,,,, SS's SP in this event is really overscored,,,,,,,the jump, the spin........... and they lost speed at the second half of the program,,,especially the footwork....

Savchenko seems unhappy with the score.............. dunno what they expect........80?

they didn't skate as good as they did in TEB, especially the technical elements.. they look a bit stressed.......they should be happy about this score,,,,it would be much lower if the judges dont protect them too much

but SS are always SP experts, so LP is apparently more important to them.
Hope they do well,,, and make the final!

I really dont like the costumes, a bit over the top.....did savchenko design it by herself again?

DD's score surprised me a bit,,,,,I like their program more than MT's,,,they should get more PCS,,but I feel like what happened last year will happen again,,,,115 is not too high but not too low for them, the chance is still in their hands
good luck.

100% agreed. S/S is overscored. I don't understand why they looked unhappy either.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
The S/S costumes aren't over the top - they're classic clown costumes (that Pierrot thing) black and white with the ruffles. I'm just saying that per tradition of the clowns they're playing, it's perfect.

I agree they didn't skate as well as they did at TEB (I registered with icenetwork.com - thanks Nadine). A bit faster, because they finished with their music, not behind it as they did at TEB, but everything wasn't as smooth and clean as it was at TEB. However, I think the program is so perfect - music, choreography, their performance of it - that it's hard for it to truly falter.

I recently looked at some old video and I saw D&D blow some kind of lift at the Olympics in 2006. I think they've never had it all together - just back in the day they had a lot of good stuff, like good, mature looking edges and overall strength, that they still have - that it just seemed like they'd develop from there as they got more experience as a team. But they really kind of stayed the same. Her problem - it's only a guess - is she often seems to be watching herself skate, instead of just doing it. And waiting on something, and then doing. So in and out. He's more natural and has more flow in performance. I don't know if they're ever going to have a totally clean program - have they? Also, per his remarks here and in past programs, it seems typical of them to be a little thrown by an error. But IMO, they are too experienced to allow that, they should come back with more attack. Oh well, I just find them a little weird. They should have gotten a real pairs coach a long time ago, not just for technique, but perspective, IMO.

M&T - I really like them. Very pretty skaters who do "just do it". Their confidence seems fragile? maybe, sometimes, so I hope making an error in the short doesn't shake them up for the lp.

P.S. - all the pairs had a lot of noise in their skates - including S&S. I wonder why, these are teams who otherwise have excellent basic skating. It's not fair to compare them to ice dancers but still, V/M were virtually noiseless while these elite pairs skaters were scraping away.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
nevergonnadance, I think their short at the 2008 worlds was clean, if still tentative. They had a couple of errors in their long, but it was probably the best they've ever skated.

But then again, we're living in the era of Savchenko/Szolkowy, who won with a poorly executed long in 2008 and again in 2009 despite the fall.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
If D&D could lose the tentative aspect - especially from her - I think it would give a whole different complexion to their programs and improve their score. There are skaters who, as you point out, make errors but they are skating with attack and focus. To kick it up and have routine placements on international podiums, I think that's what they (D&D) need to do. It's the "heady" thing she gives off, like she's locked up there - and IMO it was there even back in the day. He doesn't have it as much. Except for on occasion, their errors, when they make them, aren't worse than the errors made by those who make the international podium more consistently.

yqs100

On the Ice
nevergonnadance, I think their short at the 2008 worlds was clean, if still tentative. They had a couple of errors in their long, but it was probably the best they've ever skated.

But then again, we're living in the era of Savchenko/Szolkowy, who won with a poorly executed long in 2008 and again in 2009 despite the fall.

s/s are very lucky,,,didnt face a lot challenging for the last two years, but this year is quite different, they have to put more effort to make it. very sure they can't win anymore with poorly execution program.

the olympics will be a wonderful combat...i hope both s/z and s/s can do their best:rock:

life684

Final Flight
S/S ; They did a very good job (though i hate the costume), they skated to the music and their elements were very clean, except for pair spin which traveled a little. But their score was very well deserved for that performance (Just my opinion).

M/T: had very good speed and gave a very good performance, they only had trouble on the landing of throw 3 loop. And i thought they connected better to each other than in the past.

D/D: They performance was ok until Jessica popped their intended sbs 3S, i believe program suits them a lot but Jessica looked very tensed through out the program.

As far as S/Z sp goes, i liked their sp a lot. I was only critical about their LP, which i thought was slow .

yqs100

On the Ice
S/S ; They did a very good job (though i hate the costume), they skated to the music and their elements were very clean, except for pair spin which traveled a little. But their score was very well deserved for that performance (Just my opinion).

M/T: had very good speed and gave a very good performance, they only had trouble on the landing of throw 3 loop. And i thought they connected better to each other than in the past.

D/D: They performance was ok until Jessica popped their intended sbs 3S, i believe program suits them a lot but Jessica looked very tensed through out the program.

As far as S/Z sp goes, i liked their sp a lot. I was only critical about their LP, which i thought was slow .

well deserved? SS had little speed in the SP,,,,especially the footwork and the last lift,,,,,it took them 5 seconds to skate across the SC logo.....wow,,,,,,,

very clean? the jump was lack of unison, and the twist was a bit shaking landing...well...sorry I forgot ,,,for SS,,,no fall means clean..........

this score only means the Judges really want to help them to make the final, they performance was not deserved to this score at all...........

Nadine

Record Breaker
Nadine, where were you able to watch the pairs?

It's because of G&G that pairs are (potentially) my favorite discipline although S&Z were the only team holding my interest after B&S left. I do think B&S did some stuff even better than G&G - they were like G&G reloaded - but they had weaknesses in their game that G&G didn't have.

Robin (can't spell his last name just now) actually reminds me of Sergei Grinkov on the ice - his height, his build, his demeanor, his style of expression.

Sorry so late in replying, but just wanted to say that I agree with you to a certain extent about B&S. Elena, IMHO, has the best body line, technique, et al than anybody I've ever seen (including Katia). But though I think they 110% deserved their Olympic Gold Medal in 2002, I could never quite get into their routines, namely innate ability to make one feel. They never had this, at least not for me, which IMHO makes G&G the best pairs team of all-time (perhaps tied with the Protopopovs). Elena reminded me of a corpse out there, no facial expression whatsoever, though I must say the one & only routine I truly did enjoy from them was their Charlie Chaplin routine. Lol, Elena reminded me so much of the perfect urchin/ragamuffin (Jackie Coogan & Mary Pickford watch out) of the 1920 silent film era ~ classic! But then again I am a silent film era buff. :cool:

Regards Robin & Sergie, no way, at least I don't see it. Sergie Grinkov was in a class by himself. Never will be another. He was the perfect partner. Him & Gwendal Peizerat remind me of each other. They are the only male partners that I look at moreso than the lady when they're skating. :bow: