Lutai arrested for car theft | Golden Skate

Lutai arrested for car theft

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Wow. That is just an amazing level of stupidity. Why would anyone do such a thing? :scratch:

I guess Sergei Voronov's ticket to Vancouver has just been confirmed, if it wasn't already. And this will probably be the end of Lutai's skating career.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Between driving drunk and stealing a car, he will likely spend some time in jail, I would think...fortunately there was no accident or high speed police chase involved.

schiele

Final Flight
Wow. That is just an amazing level of stupidity. Why would anyone do such a thing? :scratch:

I guess Sergei Voronov's ticket to Vancouver has just been confirmed, if it wasn't already. And this will probably be the end of Lutai's skating career.

Well maybe he didnt mean to steal steal? Maybe he was just utterly pissed and decided to be stupid for fun? Cos otherwise this is utterly beyond me how an amateur athlete can be this daft!

life684

Final Flight
Wow, that is reckless and he surely has thrown his skating career away. So disappointed to hear what happened.

seniorita

Record Breaker
:eek:thats why he was wearing the gloves ?

how stupid is what he did...god..no comment.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Well maybe he didnt mean to steal steal? Maybe he was just utterly pissed and decided to be stupid for fun?
I don't think he would have done it if he weren't drunk. I mean, how was he planning to bring the stolen car back to Russia, in his back-pocket?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I haven't known this guy even though he is not too young. Perhaps I have gotten outdated after taking some break from watching FS. Nonetheless, I wish him good luck in getting over this.

Andrei, Andrei, What happened? I'd love to hear your side of the story. I can't imagine losing in SA would drive one to drink, but maybe Mischin could. Good luck to Andrei, when he was on, he was first rate.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Andrei, Andrei, What happened? I'd love to hear your side of the story. I can't imagine losing in SA would drive one to drink, but maybe Mischin could. Good luck to Andrei, when he was on, he was first rate.

I hope they make him sit in jail for a few days so he can sober up and think about this.

But I also hope they will give him a suspended sentence, a fine (which in reality he won't have to pay) and put him on a plane to Moscow. He will have enough troubles when he gets home so I see no need to punish him twice.

Sorry to hear such news but naturally relieved no one was hurt and no property damaged.

His lawyer can plead him out on DUI charges and get the grand larceny charges (is a Chevy Impala really so "grand"?) reduced as part of a quick plea.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Here is my very creepy response to this story...

Sunday morning after my mom and I went to the USFSA figure skating breakfast, I decided that I wanted to go down to the speed skating rink and take some pics (after all Eric Heiden won 5 gold medals there). There is a building on the edge of the rink next to the road. Anyway, who is sitting behind this building but Andrei Lutai. He is stilling on a duffle bag texting away on his phone. I looked at my mom and was like "he must be hiding from Mishin since he skated poorly.: Really he was all by himself and it was like 11 am. I was thinking why would be just be sitting there all alone, in that particular spot! It was wierd. Anyway, we kept walking and then he looked up at my mother and me and smiled so me being my stalker self, I was like oooohhhh he's in street clothes...let's go take a picture of him. So we went over and he was really nice and I think he was trying to talk to us but I don't know a single word of Russian. So we said thank you and left. He went back to texting on his phone.

Sunday night we were back in our hotel in the Econolodge and I was like, I wonder why all those police are out there? I was going to go outside and see what the deal was but I was already in my pajamas!

So yeah kind of creeped out!! It's a shame because he missed the first two practices because his stuff was lost and then them let him practice for about 15 minutes alone on the ice before the compulsary dance and I thought he didn't do that bad considering. Now, I would post what is probably the last picture of him before he went to jail but I have no idea how to insert a picture from my computer!!!

Milas

Rinkside
Sorry, but why on earth did he do something so stupid and reckless? He must have been piss drunk and out of his mind. It's such a waste of talent and life.

mad6ame2

Rinkside
This is horrible! The charges are really serious. I'm so sorry for him. Hopefully this incident doesn't haunt him for the rest of his life. :no:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Awful news.
He needs a good lawyer. Hope he gets one.

The Russian consulate called the attorney who is representing a Russian boxer on a drug charge! But I think he kiss his figure skating career goodbye! I am pretty sure mishin and piseev are done with him! And who knows what the isu will do. The Russian team left and they left him sitting in jail! What a waste of talent!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
What a waste of talent!
ITA.
I really hope the attorney you mention can help Andrei.
I also hope Lutai realizes how lucky he is he hasn't killed anyone while DUI.

Yes, all this prob means he won't be skating competitively ever again, but right now he's in a foreign country, in jail. Feel so sorry for him. Wonder if he's going to seek help, once he's a free man.

plushyta

On the Ice
Just a pity for such a sweet guy :cry:

I hope that was just some "misunderstanding" in the matter, and exaggeration of the media :frown2: ... Here are some news from Russian newspapers...

http://kp.ru/online/news/572239/
... President of the Figure Skating Federation of Russia Valentin Piseev confirmed that Lutai is in police custody. Alexei Mishin remained in Lake Placid, which is trying to help to his scampish student ...
... Incidentally, the police recorded: Lutai was drunk. But the degree of intoxication is not established, since he was not blowing into the device for determining the percent of alcohol in the blood...

http://sport.rian.ru/sport/20091117/194172596.html
... "I'm still the subject did not comment - Mishin said in a telephone conversation with the correspondent of RIA Novosti. - It is unclear circumstances, there are no details. Perhaps all this is only an artistic exaggeration."...

http://allsportinfo.ru/ ... his lawyer, Brian Barrett:
... Tomorrow evening we will have a meeting in the City Court, after which, perhaps, Andrey wil be released from prison...
- But you admit that he stole a car and driving in a drunken state?
- I'm in that there are some serious doubts. In particular, about the extent of his intoxication. Lutai was detained, just hour after he was seen absolutely sober, during his performance at the Grand Prix. Hour - it's too little to talk about such a strong intoxication. There are and other points, on which we rely for its defense. But before the court, I do not think it necessary to articulate them...

Binthere

On the Ice
This is so unfortunate. Lake Placid is a sleepy town that it is no wonder people could literally be caught in the act when something odd goes down.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Some more excerpts from plushyta's links:
"It's not like him, he doesn't even drink!" say the managers and producers of ice shows, and even the workers of the Yubileiny rink where the athlete trains.

"Andrei is always so proper, calm, and well behaved", recalls Petersburg coach Alla Pyatova. "His mom is a sweety, and the family is of the intelligentsia. Though Lutai did live at the boarding school dorm for a while, so he might have picked up bad habits there, though I doubt it - his parents and sister visited him all the time, there wasn't much room for him to hide."

Andrei's site describes his attitude to alcohol thus: "I don't drink". I then did not just let go, but it did it so monumentally? Figure skating insiders suppose that the always emotional Alexei Mishin could have poured fuel on the flame; after the Skate America failure, he was sure to have been furious with Lutai.

"Mishin could have screamed at him so badly, that the kid drowned his sorrows in a drink, and got drunk to quickly because he's not used to it", says one of his Petersburg coaches.

schiele

Final Flight
Some more excerpts from plushyta's links:
"It's not like him, he doesn't even drink!" say the managers and producers of ice shows, and even the workers of the Yubileiny rink where the athlete trains.

"Andrei is always so proper, calm, and well behaved", recalls Petersburg coach Alla Pyatova. "His mom is a sweety, and the family is of the intelligentsia. Though Lutai did live at the boarding school dorm for a while, so he might have picked up bad habits there, though I doubt it - his parents and sister visited him all the time, there wasn't much room for him to hide."

Andrei's site describes his attitude to alcohol thus: "I don't drink". I then did not just let go, but it did it so monumentally? Figure skating insiders suppose that the always emotional Alexei Mishin could have poured fuel on the flame; after the Skate America failure, he was sure to have been furious with Lutai.

"Mishin could have screamed at him so badly, that the kid drowned his sorrows in a drink, and got drunk to quickly because he's not used to it", says one of his Petersburg coaches.

Yea, I thought the same regarding the latter comment. I mean he always seemed like such a well behaved and calm kid. Besides how can anybody be so utterly stupid as to go joyriding in a foreign country, let alone DUI, obviously he must have been out of his mind cos of alchocol level.. So sad, I was praying on him to make the team..