Lutai arrested for car theft | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lutai arrested for car theft

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
How awful this is. Is it common in US to put a jaildress on a suspect, and a chain!!?? He iooks as a heavy criminal and is not yet found guilty of anything.

janetfan

Match Penalty
How awful this is. Is it common in US to put a jaildress on a suspect, and a chain!!?? He iooks as a heavy criminal and is not yet found guilty of anything.

I didn't see any pics but he is presumed innocent until found guilty.
He apparently was caught driving away in car without the owners permission.
He was also charged with DUI so as long as he was in jail he would have to wear what the other alleged criminals are wearing.

The USA is very, very aware that if Lutai is mistreated the favor will be repaid to an American athlete competing in Russia at the earliest opportunity.

I really have no idea how true the charges are, or if Luitai was the victim of a spiked drink or if he was led astray by some young American harlots. :biggrin:

I am sure he is being treated like any other drunken supsect found driving a stolen car. Do you think he should be kept in a four star hotel with room service because he is a skater?

I hope it is a misunderstanding and that Lutai will be given the benefit of the doubt and sent home ASAP.

Why should US tax payers have to pay for his meals and new wardrobe any longer than necessary?.
And when he gets back he will have to go through this again with officials from his own country and I bet Mishin will put him in that horrible vest for a few weeks until he is sure Lutai has repented ;)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
that is awful.

I don't like it but it is exactly as it should be imo. I don't think it is so awful and unless he is a victim of some complicated three way plot involving spiked drinks and wild American girls this is how intoxicated car thieves can expect to be treated in a small town in the USA.

Had this happened in NYC, with some luck - they might have let him go if no one was injured and no property damaged. They would have been glad to clear a case like this and a detective would have driven him to the airport and put him on the plane.

Done and not worth the fuss. But a small village like Lake Placid is not used to this type of behavior and typically the law enforcement team tries to do everything by the book.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I am sure he is being treated like any other drunken supsect found driving a stolen car. Do you think he should be kept in a four star hotel with room service because he is a skater?

I do believe he is treated like every other suspect, but my question was why suspects are shown in such an unsulting way publicly until they are found guilty.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
a small village like Lake Placid is not used to this type of behavior and typically the law enforcement team tries to do everything by the book.

Where do you think this type of behavior goes on? It's in small towns all the time, especially tourist destinations like Lake Placid.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
He'd be treated veeeeery differently where I live (no chains, no jaildress, no tv cameras in his face for sure), but - unfortunately for Andrei - he chose America for his adventures.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Where do you think this type of behavior goes on? It's in small towns all the time, especially tourist destinations like Lake Placid.

I live near a beautiful little tourist town. The cops are notorius about enforcing DUI's and petty theft, let alone car theft.

The people and merchants who live in such towns depend on a good and safe reputation or they won't be a tourist town but a ghost town.

Perhaps Lutai would prefer a Russian jail or a gulag?

Your comments seem well intended and I am not trying to be unsympathetic.

But my advice to anybody is don't steal or drive drunk if you don't want to suffer a degree of public humiliation.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Poor Andre, and all that publicity. What do those letters mean on the prison garb? I can't figure them out for anything in English.

they stand for the Essex County correctional Facility of Essex County Department of corrections....I can only get the EC and not sure what the last two letters are. That's pretty common for prison outfits!

they stand for the Essex County correctional Facility of Essex County Department of corrections....I can only get the EC and not sure what the last two letters are. That's pretty common for prison outfits!

Thank you SL. I had no idea I skiied in Essex County all those years in my youth.

Still I don't think he was drunk, although it is a good excuse for car theft. I think he was lured into it by one of female admirers. I'm still hoping he gets off and his skating gets better for the experience.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
But my advice to anybody is don't steal or drive drunk if you don't want to suffer a degree of public humiliation.

I totally agree that you should never steal or drive drunk.

My point was that no one should suffer public humiliation until they are convicted of a crime.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Snowflake, ITA. It's one thing to put him in jail dress and chains; it's a completely different thing to allow media to take pictures and post everywhere.

While I agree that the dress & chains are routine, I question the original bail. Had the bail been more reasonable, he might have been out; though perhaps they were afraid he'd flee back to Russia.

The "spiked drink" theory frankly seems a bit out there to me. As for the "girls" - well, where they Russian or American? If it's the latter, than it's doubly confusing since he doesn't appear to speak any English.

Last I checked, we have a presumption of innocence in this country. I can see how you can argue for public humiliation for a convicted felon, but in our system until he IS convicted, it is as if he were innocent.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Last I checked, we have a presumption of innocence in this country. I can see how you can argue for public humiliation for a convicted felon, but in our system until he IS convicted, it is as if he were innocent.

I disagree and you are not conceptually correct..
I have said in several earlier posts I hope this works out for Lutai. I even hope they go easy on him. He is young enough in my book to make a mistake and I hope he gets home ASAP.

But innocent until proven guilty is one thing. It sets USA apart from many other countries. But it never said if an Officer of the Law catches someone in an illegal activity they have a right to privacy. Never, and no way. You are not even close to being right about this. By being arrested a defendant has to pay some of the consequnces for their actions. They may be photographed by the press (did you ever hear of a fellow named "OJ Simpson"?) and newspapers and television reporters are legally able to write stories about arrests of common citizens, athletes and politicians.

You seem to be confused about being arrested and being convicted. There is a tremendous difference. There is also a very vigorous Free Press in USA as opposed to many Eastern European countries.

Maybe you are not so aware of this, but there has been a big effort in many of our states to intentionally embarrass and humiliate drunken drivers.

The whole point is that drunken drivers injure and kill people. They destroy property. I am sure Lutai is not an idiot and knows that in most countries taking a car for a "joyride" and drunken driving are illegal activities.

I think anyone who cares about this talented skater hopes this "humiliation" is something he will remember. I hope he won't pull such an idiotic stunt again.

Last edited:
I hope this turns out to be nothing, but if he was drunk and behind the wheel of a car, they should put the fear of God into him in whatever way they can. Thank goodness he didn't encounter any other cars. The first thing I thought of when I read this was Maksim Staviskiy and what he managed to do with a bottle and a lead foot on the pedal. I'll bet he wishes some cop put him in chains before he had the accident he caused.

plushyta

On the Ice
Sometimes it is more difficulty public (media's) the humiliation, than a prison sentence, or chains itself... :frown:

I wonder, if they would display on the same way and some American skater (or any other USA public figure)? :scratch: ... ie - would be and SHOULD be allowed cameras in the courtroom, by American law?! :unsure:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Certainly American celebrities get the full tabloid treatment. Sadly, skating has been so unpopular lately that I'm not sure that simply getting drunk and taking a car would get an American skater the full tabloid treatment. The general public would be 'Evan who?'

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Since Lutai had to have a bobsled coach interpret for him, it's not surprising that the press has not been able to get to him for quotes. And a good thing that is!

That's true. Any more misunderstanding at this point would probably cause more press frenzy and be absolutely disastrous for him!

Does the US press always give so much attention to all drunk drivers? They've photographed Lutai in prison clothes, written lots of articles etc. Or is it just because Lutai is kind of famous?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sometimes it is more difficulty public (media's) the humiliation, than a prison sentence, or chains itself... :frown:

I wonder, if they would display on the same way and some American skater (or any other USA public figure)? :scratch: ... ie - would be and SHOULD be allowed cameras in the courtroom, by American law?! :unsure:

Did you ever hear of President Nixon? Baseball star Pete Rose?
Were you even awake during the Clinton years?

You said "we" and implied "our laws" like you are an American. Your attitude is fine and respectful and I am glad to read your posts. But in all honesty you don't sound like you have much understanding of American law or culture.

That is OK and I don't mean it makes you a better or worse person.

I just find that your remarks show no understanding of a society with a free press. It is not a philosophical disagreement - just a total lack of any basic awareness of America society.

I can't imagine what your comments and ideas are based on.

I say that respectfully but with a bit of bewilderment.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's true. Any more misunderstanding at this point would probably cause more press frenzy and be absolutely disastrous for him!

Does the US press always give so much attention to all drunk drivers? They've photographed Lutai in prison clothes, written lots of articles etc. Or is it just because Lutai is kind of famous?

There has been nothing written in the papers where I live. I have seen or heard nothing about this on TV and I have CNN or MSNBC on all day.

Lutai is hardly famous as a skater, let alone as a big sporting celebrity . He is virtually unknown in the USA. Since his arrest he is still unknown.

And yes, it is very common for alleged criminals , once they are arrested to be photographed and to have news stories written about them.

Sorry if you prefer a secret society but we dont. No one told this kid to act like a criminal. I hope it is a misunderstanding. Even if he is guilty I hope they go easy and just send him home.

My gosh, how is he a VICTIM. We should all be happy he didn't kill anyone.