Pairs LP Saturday, November 21, 13:30 Eastern Time | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP Saturday, November 21, 13:30 Eastern Time

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
M/T were skating very well and had gotten through some of their difficult elements, even after the strap broke, prior to the skate being stopped, which seemed to help their confidence and composure when a stop was called. It's possible this will help their confidence even more - they were skating well, were interrupted and were able to resume with no real trouble.

I have to say these two pairs - S&S and M&T, are sort of examples of how the right music is important. For M&T, I think Love Story helps her skate, and for S&S, Out of Africa helps them skate essentially the same program as before much more securely.

BTW - what happened to D/D's spin at the end? I could see the end part of the combination wasn't working, but I couldn't see why. In the KissNCry Bryce was saying something about their arms, but when I rewatched I couldn't see that either.

Oh - another D/D question - does Jessica do the "Cue" calls in the sbs spins? That's one of my favorite parts of pairs, when teams do sbs and above the music you hear a voice calling the changes. Usualy it's the guy but I'd swear with D&D it sounds like Jessica.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
Oh - another D/D question - does Jessica do the "Cue" calls in the sbs spins? That's one of my favorite parts of pairs, when teams do sbs and above the music you hear a voice calling the changes. Usualy it's the guy but I'd swear with D&D it sounds like Jessica.

Yes, she does the calls.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Like I said after the SP, the Germans are the class of the field, which they proved once again, kudos to them.

That said, so are S&Z (though I haven't watched any of their programs this season as of yet, but I don't have to, I just know, lol). Seriously, it will be a battle between the Germans & the Chinese for gold at the Olympics, hopefully they both make it one for the ages.

That said, I honestly don't care who wins, just as long as it is one of them, and the winner equally skates great, just like G&G did against M&D in 1994. At the time I thought M&D should have won due to their drama & more technical prowess. Yet, I can see how G&G won, so I thought the result was correct. I wasn't up in arms about it, just as I hope not to be at this upcoming Olympics for pairs. :)

p.s. though I must say I do have a tug at my heart for S&Z due to their coming back after injury, staying in at their ages, et al. Lol, I'm just a sucker for comeback stories, especially when one is older (ala Plushenko, et al). They truly do have the heart of a champion (e.g. Julia Sebestian).

MAY THE BEST ONE WIN!!!!!!!:love:

wewe008

Rinkside
Thanks to S/Z, under the pressure of S/Z's comeback,
SS finally got a clean LP, finally. nice, well done!
The temperature of pairs competition is rising...
Good news for all ice-fans.

oleada

Record Breaker
ETA: Love that S/S have a throw jump planned almost at the end of the program. They did it with last year's LP too. That should be difficult to carry out. Good for them!

They have done this more often than not, even back in 2005 to their Casablanca program. I think the only times where they haven't done it is to their 05-06 and 06-07 programs. I like this move a lot; it's very brave. :thumbsup:

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
This pairs competition makes me wish D&D had gone to a real pairs coach a long time ago. Their wish for this program was to involve the audience emotionally in a star-crossed love story theme, but their thunder has been stolen by S&S who have the exact same theme skated with nicer music (IMO D&D's sounds like muzak) and more conviction. Even the Russians M&T have kind of the same idea, and are scoring higher. After I watched Cynthia Paneuf kersplat in her lp, I'm thinking Annie Barabe is great for her skaters' morale but not so great for their skating. There's really no one thing that D&D need improvement on IMO - all of their elements are very good to decent - mostly. It's tying it all together with command and authority all the way through that's missing so far.

Tigger

Final Flight
Well, that kid having one of the worst screeching temper tantrums during Jess and Bryce's LP didn't help matters. When everyone can hear...

NONONONONONONO!!! I'M NOT DOING THAT YOU CAN'T MAKE ME I DON'T WANNA NONONONONONONONONONO!!!

Didn't help matters for them and that's only a wee bit of what was heard, as it went on for at least a good minute and a half.

For the first time ever, Aliona and Robin gave me the chills!! Once they get some more mileage on it, it's going to be even better. About time they got a program that not only fits w/them, but that connects w/the audience as well. W/all of the unique themes they've done the last few years, that's been a bit of a problem for them, but not w/this LP!!

As wonderful as it was to see Annabelle and Cody out there again, I am worried that their music might be a bit too "big" for them. It just seemed they weren't able to skate up to it as the music began to build through the program. I hope I'm wrong, but I am concerned.

As for the comments that even Aliona and Robin seemed slow on Saturday...

It was freezing on Saturday in The Aud and due to that, I'm convinced the ice was way too hard. Think of Torino and the OD w/all of the stumbles and boo boos.

I mean...When I notice that Bryce is doing what I call "Careful Footwork"/having to really think about blade placement during one of their lifts in the warm ups and then see the other male skaters doing the exact same thing? The alarm bells started dinging. All of the skating sounded far more scratchy than it should have too.

Friday and Sunday though, the building was at a comfortable temperture and the performances showed it too. Nope, I'm convinced that the ice was too hard Saturday and in turn...

JMO of course, but there it is.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
The parent or adult should have removed that kid. That's just unfair.

I wonder if the ice on Saturday contributed to Tessa's two early slips. Once she got her legs under her it was fine but those were two very fast transition segments (the second one included being turned by Scott) in the early going.

Tigger

Final Flight
The parent or adult should have removed that kid. That's just unfair.

I wonder if the ice on Saturday contributed to Tessa's two early slips. Once she got her legs under her it was fine but those were two very fast transition segments (the second one included being turned by Scott) in the early going.

First off, I realize that you're supposed to stay in your seat once a skater/team starts skating, but there's exceptions to every rule and this was one of those times in a very big way. None of us in my section were too terribly impressed that parent didn't snatch that kid up and leave when it started to howl.

As for Tessa's stumbles, I started wondering about the ice when I could hear Tessa and Scott's blades when they went by us during the Warm Up. They're so smooth and have such great basics, that you usually don't hear them when they're going by. Saturday afternoon, you could.

That's when I started wondering. Then Tessa's stumbles happened and then I saw the guys doing "Careful Footwork" during lifts and...The alarm bells started dinging. I'm almost positiive once you factor in the warmer temps in the rink on Friday and Sunday, plus the quality performances we saw those days compared to Saturday when it was freezing and...

It's just a theory and JMO, but....I'm just saying. That's all.