Tie Breaker Can Be Baffling | Golden Skate

Tie Breaker Can Be Baffling

mishieru07

On the Ice
Okay I'm no expert but IIRC:
1st Tie Breaker: Points (22 - All tie)

2nd: Highest placing. So Dornbush advances with a win, Hochstein and Kanallakan rank ahead of Bush and Gorshkov

3rd: Highest total number of points: Hochstein advances over Kanallakan.

I think that's what happened.

life684

Final Flight
Can someone knowlegeable in the decision making process explain what went on in the Junior Mens statistics. There were 5 skaters tied for the last 2 spots elligible for the Finals. 3 of them lost out!

http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2009/jgpsmen.htm

Ok i will try to explin with my limited command of the language.

1) First try breaker is the best position obtained in any of the grand prix, so Richard Dobrush had won the grand prix in Hungary and others had not done that hence he took the first tie breaker and 7th position in Grand Prix standing.
Holstein and Kanallakan's best performance was second place Hungary and Poland respectively, so were in position to get 8th and 9th rank. Since they were tied after the first tie breaker second breaker was used.

Shakmatov and Bush had 3 place as their beat performnce so best they could hope for was 10t and 11th positions.

2) the second breaker uses the sum of total scores from both the Grand prix events. Holstein 348.88 (179.03(hun) + 169.85 (Ger)) and Kanallakan 341.71 (171.19(pol) +170.52 (tur) ), hence Holstein ended getting 8th and final grand prix finals position ahead of kanallakan, who got first reserve position

Last edited: