Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

Custom Title
    re: Joannie's score compared to Alissa.. I'm not watching live, but I feel rather sure Joannie's flow across the ice, and overall performance level, is MUCH better than that of Alissa. Joannie probably has more difficult transitions/choreo. Alissa has amazing excellent spins, her one clear advantage, but Joannie better GOE on jumps, to probably even that out more or less....

I wonder how the expression of this program comes off live? Someone commented about her not looking seductive enough, not expressing with her face.. but this is the kind of thing that seems more important on screen than in the arena, I'd wager.... something to keep in mind.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    You'd think so.

Joannie seems lovely and I respect her so much for working on edge issues, maximising what she's got, etc. but I just don't think she's a '70' skater. The judges obviously do.

Ok it's 7am here so I'll stop rambling and get some sleep!
    Yeah don't know about the 70 ... but if she did land the 3-3 ... let's face it. She deserves to be way ahead of everyone else in this field.
    I don't know about the scores but I think the rankings were about right ... except Akiko being lower than Lepisto :indiff::indiff:

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    That's how I see it, too. The 3-3 is not that important that Joannie shouldn't be rewarded with a 70, too.
    It's not just the 3-3, though?

Yu-Na is a better performer (SO much more personality) and she is better on other technical elements in comparison to Joannie as well, not just the combination jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Joannie didn't execute everything well. Her layback is poor and I wouldn't qualify any of her other non-jump elements as *GREAT*.

Sasha got a 66, btw (although it should have been higher). Sasha is better on every non-jump element in comparison to Joannie and WAY better in her presentation.
    Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Please Yuna's layback is not that great either and she gets a level 4. Rochette's spirals are about extension and above hip level with good speed. Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Sasha is a better performer and known for her spins and spirals. However, I would never put her skating skills above Rochette. Cohen has poor edge work.
    Last edited by DarkestMoon; 11-20-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Medalist
    I'd be happy with the overall result if 3 points of Joannie's PCS is transferred to Akiko's PCS.

Other than that, good job Alissa!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    Was Joannie really 6+ points better than Alissa?
    No! I can't believe you can skate a program without a triple/triple or double axel/triple and still score a 70....ugh. Worst judging of the season. And I also can't decide which Finnish girl had the more ridiculously inflated score this season.

Rinkside
    I don't know, the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Mao never received +70 points with her wonderful skating skills and musicality, plus a 3-3. (not counting WTT) I guess there's really something special about Rochette, but I really hate that I don't see it quite well.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    I think Alissa did better than Joannie. But who cares, Skate Canada is held in Canada
    I absolutely agree with you.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    And I also can't decide which Finnish girl had the more ridiculously inflated score this season.
    That's a toughie

Custom Title
    Regarding Laura Lepisto, I think we have to remember that she is the Euros 09 Champion. There is an old tradition in figure skating of honoring the champion, a sort of courtesy thing. The judges have learned how to use CoP to do the things they used to do, so I think that's all there is to it.

I like both Alissa and Joannie, and I am happy for both of them. I just hope the FS goes well for them, too. Keep it goin', girls!
    Last edited by Dodhiyel; 11-20-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling lol

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Rochette's spirals are about extension and above hip level. Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Sasha is a better performer and known for her spins and spirals. However, I would never put her skating skills above Rochette. Cohen has poor edge work.
    I totally agree with this; however, I do think Yu-Na Kim has a great layback, though I'm thinking of the one she did in the SP at 2009 Worlds. I'm so tired of certain fans who put this huge emphasis on flexibility.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Please Yuna's layback is not that great either and she gets a level 4. Rochette's spirals are about extension and above hip level with good speed. Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.
    Ah. Well, that helps explain to me why so many skaters try to contort themselves into positions they simply can't do. ... they know they can get points even if it looks ugly.

Custom Title
    70.00?

66 would've been reasonable, even with being a Canadian! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    It's not just the 3-3, though?

Yu-Na is a better performer (SO much more personality) and she is better on other technical elements in comparison to Joannie as well, not just the combination jump.
    But compared to Yu-Na Joannie has incredible extension, there was and is always an awkwardness about Yu-Na in my opinion. Joannie's sitspin is better, and Yu-Na's layback is just as bad as Rochette's (her leg and foot are just hanging around somewhere...). I also prefer Rochette's spirals, there is a lot less shaking of the free leg going on.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koongpa View Post
    I don't know, the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Mao never received +70 points with her wonderful skating skills and musicality, plus a 3-3. (not counting WTT).
    That's because Mao almost always makes silly mistakes in the SP, like not holding her spirals long enough or not reaching the highest levels on her spins. Plus, her 3+3 very often got downgraded in the SP. 2009 Worlds was an exception, but then she went on to double and flutz with a messy landing on the 3Lutz attempt.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast