Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

cornell08

Final Flight
Was Joannie really 6+ points better than Alissa?

No! I can't believe you can skate a program without a triple/triple or double axel/triple and still score a 70....ugh. Worst judging of the season. And I also can't decide which Finnish girl had the more ridiculously inflated score this season.

koongpa

Rinkside
I don't know, the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Mao never received +70 points with her wonderful skating skills and musicality, plus a 3-3. (not counting WTT) I guess there's really something special about Rochette, but I really hate that I don't see it quite well.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Regarding Laura Lepisto, I think we have to remember that she is the Euros 09 Champion. There is an old tradition in figure skating of honoring the champion, a sort of courtesy thing. The judges have learned how to use CoP to do the things they used to do, so I think that's all there is to it.

I like both Alissa and Joannie, and I am happy for both of them. :) I just hope the FS goes well for them, too. Keep it goin', girls! :rock:

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Rochette's spirals are about extension and above hip level. Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Sasha is a better performer and known for her spins and spirals. However, I would never put her skating skills above Rochette. Cohen has poor edge work.

I totally agree with this; however, I do think Yu-Na Kim has a great layback, though I'm thinking of the one she did in the SP at 2009 Worlds. I'm so tired of certain fans who put this huge emphasis on flexibility.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Please Yuna's layback is not that great either and she gets a level 4. Rochette's spirals are about extension and above hip level with good speed. Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Sasha is a better performer and known for her spins and spirals. However, I would never put her skating skills above Rochette. Cohen has poor edge work.

Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Ah. Well, that helps explain to me why so many skaters try to contort themselves into positions they simply can't do. ... they know they can get points even if it looks ugly.

Medusa

Record Breaker
It's not just the 3-3, though?

Yu-Na is a better performer (SO much more personality) and she is better on other technical elements in comparison to Joannie as well, not just the combination jump.
But compared to Yu-Na Joannie has incredible extension, there was and is always an awkwardness about Yu-Na in my opinion. Joannie's sitspin is better, and Yu-Na's layback is just as bad as Rochette's (her leg and foot are just hanging around somewhere...). I also prefer Rochette's spirals, there is a lot less shaking of the free leg going on.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know, the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Mao never received +70 points with her wonderful skating skills and musicality, plus a 3-3. (not counting WTT).

That's because Mao almost always makes silly mistakes in the SP, like not holding her spirals long enough or not reaching the highest levels on her spins. Plus, her 3+3 very often got downgraded in the SP. 2009 Worlds was an exception, but then she went on to double and flutz with a messy landing on the 3Lutz attempt.

amateur

Final Flight
It's not just the 3-3, though?

Yu-Na is a better performer (SO much more personality) and she is better on other technical elements in comparison to Joannie as well, not just the combination jump.

...and she scores on average 6 points higher in an SP for it... what is your point?

And it is not as though every last move that Yu-na executes is of a clearly superior quality to every move of a mere skater of Joannie's caliber.... And not as though "personality" trumps every other nuance of maturity and refinedness that can be on display...

I'd go on, but this thread really doesn,t need to become about Yu-Na..

another note: I'll have to rewatch, I didn't think Joannie's layback was "poor", as some were saying! Not an exciting flexible position, but reasonably fast, crisp and well centred.... the lack of some freakish contortion does not make the spin "bad"!

Trewyn

Medalist
Weird skating event for Ladies...
Started out great with the two Canadians both making a statement for the Canadian Nationals;: 'we are good; consider us for the team!' My personal preference goes to Amelie...
Mirai: does some really nice things out there... Pretty low score; but at least she placed in the top three.
Alissa: I know that technically she mustn't win because that would mean Ashley could be out of the final; but there's no way I could root against such a beautiful skater! She performed lovely and look at that smiley face when her scores came :).
Then Akiko got such a low score!! Yes it shouldn't have been near sixty; but that was just harsh! She brings such nice quality to her skating; wow footwork!
Caroline: triple-triple did look slightly UR but at least she went for it; also does some really nice things out there but she's boring! I thought her SP seemed to last forever; I remember feeling the same way about her LP at TEB. And right; snarky comments from her; she is not liking this low scoring thing.
Laura: disappointed me; this is where my feed broke so I still have no idea what she did for her solo triple; I did see the double toe-triple toe fall (but she didn't get a deduction?)
Joannie: couldn't watch; have to wait until it's on youtube; happy she's dealing with the pressure. Lots of major events on Canadian soil (Nats, Olys) so she better start getting used to the pressure that brings!

All in all; I could live but the standings; but just a weird event. Not a splatfest though; just a little weird.

And wow 3-8 are so close together! I guess a lot could still happen in the LP... I hope the top 2 stays the same though :). If Akiko could sneak in a third: that would be perfect.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Joannie held her layback spin long enough to meet at least a level 3. Please Yuna's layback is not that great either and she gets a level 4

Joannie traveled quite a bit on her layback and had less speed than Yu-Na (in addition to being level 3 rather than level 4). That's a big difference.

Her non-jump elements is great because of her great edge control and speed. Levels in spins and spirals are not based on only flexibility.

Joannie usually don't have great speed OR edge control in her spins, sorry.

Her footwork was not great here either.

As for the comparison to Cohen, Joannie has better edges in her stroking but she is inferior in every other regard when comparing the presentation.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I would grade Joannie's performance that she just gave as:

3Lz + 2T ----------------> +1 GOE ---> 8.3 points
3F ------------------------> +1 GOE ---> 6.5 points
Flying Sit (level 4) -----> +1 GOE ---> 3.5 points
2Axel ---------------------> +1 GOE ---> 4.5 points
Spiral Sequence (level 4) --> +1 GOE ---> 4.4 points
Layback (level 3) ------------> -1 GOE -----> 2.0 points
Footwork Sequence (level 3) ---> +0 GOE ---> 3.3 points
Combination Spin (level 4) -----> +0 GOE -----> 3.5 points

Technical Total - 36

Program Components:

Skating Skills - 8.0
Transitions - 7.5
Performance - 7.75
Choreography - 7.5
Interpretation - 7.0

Total (factored by .8 for the SP) - 30.2

Overall - 66.2

Definitely not 70.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
That's because Mao almost always makes silly mistakes in the SP, like not holding her spirals long enough or not reaching the highest levels on her spins. Plus, her 3+3 very often got downgraded in the SP. 2009 Worlds was an exception, but then she went on to double and flutz with a messy landing on the 3Lutz attempt.

I'm kind of a Mao fan but I've gotta agree with this. The judges seem to want to give good marks to Mao but Mao makes those mistakes. And it's frustrating to watch, especially when a 'has-been' Fumie can pull off all L4 spins, etc.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Yeah sure, sour grapes. It was a textbook program
It really was, and I think presentation is such a subjective thing - her icy passion on ice and understated presentation just suit the Tango so well, I freaking love that program. I really do, already loved it at Cup of China, where it was a big mess.

steyn

On the Ice
I don't know, the first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that Mao never received +70 points with her wonderful skating skills and musicality, plus a 3-3. (not counting WTT) I guess there's really something special about Rochette, but I really hate that I don't see it quite well.

I agree with this opinion. When I saw Joannie's score, it was my first thought that Mao has never broken 70 point barrier (except at WTT). Comparing Joannie with old brilliant Mao with perfect 3-3 and no flutz deduction then, Joannie's score with 3-2 and poorer spins and so on looks rather inflated.

Last edited: