Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    More hugs for Blades. Sorry, I just wasn't that impressed with that program. IMO it doesn't suit her. Joannie is not the seductive type and there was nothing on her face until the end to fit the mood of that number. The performance was fine but not as superior as the score indicates.

I missed most of this comp. Very annoyed to miss Mirai and Caroline, and my internet connection died in the middle of Alissa's skate. What I saw looked incredibly slow and cautious to me, though.

The French announcer(s) are funny! "OOOOOOOOHHHH, laaa!" I can't understand most of what they're saying but I love hearing them emote. They seem to be equal opportunity emoters.

I think she could pull the rug under the favorite and take the gold... looking solid. If she can hold her composure and skate great at Vancouver, whoever skates after her is going to in for a ride. I can just imagine the crowd at Pacific Coliseum if she gives a performance like this... it will bring down the house!

Well Joannie previous personal best was 67 so the 70 is only three points higher - It's not like it was a 10 point difference. But of course the only reason she could get that is because she is Canadian....:sheesh:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Did she land the 3-3?
    You'd think so.

Joannie seems lovely and I respect her so much for working on edge issues, maximising what she's got, etc. but I just don't think she's a '70' skater. The judges obviously do.

Ok it's 7am here so I'll stop rambling and get some sleep!

Custom Title
    It's pretty hard to imagine Joannie not winning this event now.

I didn't catch most of the performance because my feed froze. But getting a 70 is a hugely "symbolic" victory for Joannie here... if Yun-na can "deserve" a 76, Joannie can surely "deserve" a 70, with the overall quality of everything she does and the cohesiveness of her programs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    Laura is above Akiko?? With that jump content?? What did she do? Level 5 steps??
    She got a bonus for her dress. :D

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    Joannie executed everything well, why shouldn't she get at least a 70? Look at the last olympics when someone like Sasha getting a 69 for a flutz combo.
    Joannie didn't execute everything well. Her layback is poor and I wouldn't qualify any of her other non-jump elements as *GREAT*.

Sasha got a 66.73, btw (although it should have been higher). Sasha is better on every non-jump element in comparison to Joannie and WAY better in her presentation.

I think Joannie was the best overall in the short but Alissa's is really graceful and flexible , so really is lovely to watch.

Is the OD starting now?

Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    wow joannie was great gosh i did not expect that score but thats great. Maybe Yu na will have some challengers.

They always seems to like Laura even if she misses jumps, guess its the speed.
    Well, it could be that innate Finnish beauty that all Finnish lady skaters seem to have.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    Wow. Just managed to watch the second group and the result is really surprising.
    Laura is above Akiko?? With that jump content?? What did she do? Level 5 steps??
    And Joannie was great, but was she 7 points better than Alissa?? Okay, Alissa lips so there goes about 3 points, but still.
    Wow.
    Anyway, it is a very interesting competition indeed!!
    Joannie skates with more speed, power, and confidence and has a more consistent track record in competition, so she deserves to beat Alissa when she skates well.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    I didn't catch most of the performance because my feed froze. But getting a 70 is a hugely "symbolic" victory for Joannie here... if Yun-na can "deserve" a 76, Joannie can surely "deserve" a 70, with the overall quality of everything she does and the cohesiveness of her programs.
    That's how I see it, too. The 3-3 is not that important that Joannie shouldn't be rewarded with a 70, too.

I think the Tango suits her very well, Tango is supposed to be passionate, naughty in a grown-up way - but at the same time it's a very restrained dance, and I think Joannie has the perfect personality on ice for that.

Boo, at Lepistö's marks. And at Suzuki's, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Sasha got a 66.73, btw (although it should have been higher). Sasha is better on every non-jump element in comparison to Joannie and WAY better in her presentation.
    According to you that might be true but to many others (including me) it's not.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    Was Joannie really 6+ points better than Alissa?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    But getting a 70 is a hugely "symbolic" victory for Joannie here... if Yun-na can "deserve" a 76, Joannie can surely "deserve" a 70, with the overall quality of everything she does and the cohesiveness of her programs.
    Exactly. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    Well, it could be that innate Finnish beauty that all Finnish lady skaters seem to have.
    To me Cynthia was just as good as Laura. Though like Costner the judges always seem to reward speed. LOL iam not Finnish so hope thats not the case for them lol.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast