Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    But compared to Yu-Na Joannie has incredible extension, there was and is always an awkwardness about Yu-Na in my opinion. Joannie's sitspin is better, and Yu-Na's layback is just as bad as Rochette's (her leg and foot are just hanging around somewhere...). I also prefer Rochette's spirals, there is a lot less shaking of the free leg going on.
    Yu-na's layback has a great arch on her back, and she does a biellmann at least. Layback literally means you lay back! I don't know about Rochette's because it looks like a scratch spin, but her side variation is okay.

Custom Title
    Why are people comparing this score to those of Cohen, who hasn't competed in years???

Have people not noticed that SP scores in general have become inflated in the last few years? I remember in the earlier days of COP it took Joannie ages to even break 56 points with a clean sakte (and she's almost never had downgrade issues). 60+ was for like top 4 or maybe 5 at worlds, max. These days all these girls that barely rotate their triples, or skate slowly, are really disappointed if they don't hit 60.

mylastduchess
    I still cannot understand how the judges come up with the PCS, okay Joannie is fast and has good choreography but is she really 6 points better in PCS than Alyssa? How the hell did Lepisto get the 3rd highest PCS with travelling spins, and low degree of difficulty in her jumps. What does Akkiko do so badly to justify her scoring such low PCS?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Oh i am so glad I am going to be at the Olympics and not on these boards during those two weeks! It is only going to get worse and worse...
    And a competition like tonight is the reason why I chose not to see the ladies' event and attend the men's only!

Custom Title
    I think I must have missed this tidbit of information despite my active reading of this forum but; why did Sarah Meier withdraw? What's happening with her? Is she still going to do the Olympics?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    How will Alissa's good score affect her tomorrow? Let's hope it give her confidence instead of piling on the pressure. Seems like Alissa's score is the only one no one is taking issue with. Everyone else seems to have been over or under scored.
    Poor Caroline. She must know this doesn't position her well before nationals. But I'm worried about her attitude. It makes me wonder if she listens to the criticism of her skating or just sulks about it.
    Last edited by Layfan; 11-20-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I would grade Joannie's performance that she just gave as:

3Lz + 2T ----------------> +1 GOE ---> 8.3 points
    3F ------------------------> +1 GOE ---> 6.5 points
    Flying Sit (level 4) -----> +1 GOE ---> 3.5 points
    2Axel ---------------------> +1 GOE ---> 4.5 points
    Spiral Sequence (level 4) --> +1 GOE ---> 4.4 points
    Layback (level 3) ------------> -1 GOE -----> 2.0 points
    Footwork Sequence (level 3) ---> +0 GOE ---> 3.3 points
    Combination Spin (level 4) -----> +0 GOE -----> 3.5 points

Technical Total - 36

Program Components:

Skating Skills - 8.0
    Transitions - 7.5
    Performance - 7.75
    Choreography - 7.5
    Interpretation - 7.0

Total (factored by .8 for the SP) - 30.2

Overall - 66.2

Definitely not 70.
    :chorus: Nice proof of overscoring you present.

And how unthinkable that you might see things even a bit differently if you were, you know, like, at the event, in the judge's seat, and/or if you had judges' training! (I apologize if in fact you do)

And even then, there is a reason why there is more than one judge....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koongpa View Post
    Yu-na's layback has a great arch on her back, and she does a biellmann at least. Layback literally means you lay back! I don't know about Rochette's because it looks like a scratch spin, but her side variation is okay.
    The scores for the layback spin is not based on the arch of the back. The spins score is based on speed, centering, and number of revolutions. Rochette did execute a layback since it's a requirement for the SP. She didn't perform a scratch spin.

Custom Title
    What are the chances that Alissa will make it to GPF? She was 4th at Russia cup. Just out of curiosity. Of course we will have to wait till tomorrow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I think I must have missed this tidbit of information despite my active reading of this forum but; why did Sarah Meier withdraw? What's happening with her? Is she still going to do the Olympics?
    Her knee injury flared up again. I think she is trying for the Olympics again.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    How will Alissa's good score affect her tomorrow? Let's hope it give her confidence instead of piling on the pressure.
    Well, she's not in 1st...and thus is not skating last. So that should take some pressure off (actually, I'm glad she's not leading so she won't feel overwhelmed...I won't comment on Rochette's 70-pt score since I haven't seen the performance- and come to think of it, I probably won't watch it)

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    And how unthinkable that you might see things even a bit differently if you were, you know, like, at the event, in the judge's seat.
    Perhaps I might have but I doubt it. I've seen Joannie live and I didn't feel she was stronger in person.

Medalist
    I have a feeling that Joannie will receive 130.00 tomorrow (without any decimal points..).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    Wow, were you even watching the SP? Rochette's spins are centered.
    The layback was not. Were you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    PCS are not personality on ice points.
    Appropriately giving personality to the music is part of the PCS, however.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    What are the chances that Alissa will make it to GPF? She was 4th at Russia cup. Just out of curiosity. Of course we will have to wait till tomorrow.
    It will depend on how much the judges continue to hold Akiko Suzuki down (and how well she skates, of course).

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast