Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    Flatt:
    =332.62

Czisny:
    =221.82

So she needs 110.81. I'd say it's doable, but she'll have to be right on the money.
    Alright Thanks for doing the math Kissx.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Alright Thanks for doing the math Kissx.
    Darn you beat me to it. But yes she needs to get 110.80. Definitely doable, especially as the judges seem to be giving her the benefit of the doubt in this competition. She may not even have to be perfect. But she certainly has to have a great skate ... sigh. It's just as good a bet that Akiko will have an amazing FS and finish 4th or higher, ruining Alissa's chances.

On the other hand ... so what if she gets silver but doesn't make the GPF? At least that way she'll head to Nationals on a good note.

Akiko also got a wrong edge call on her lutz. So that was three jumping errors.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    If Sasha can do it (71.12 at 2003 Skate Canada), Joannie certainly can too I think!
    Except ... Sasha was so much better IMO than Joannie at everything except jumps.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Except ... Sasha was so much better IMO than Joannie at everything except jumps.
    Well, IMO, the only edge Cohen has ever had on Rochette are her spins and flexibility (which isn't even a major factor in skating to me). Aren't opinions great?

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Well, IMO, the only edge Cohen has ever had on Rochette are her spins. Aren't opinions great?
    Spirals???? Rochette's spirals don't even compare to Cohen's. And yes opinions are great because what I'm about to say is totally subjective ... but Cohen's artistry is head and shoulders above Rochette's. I liked her footwork better too but maybe that's just choreography, I'm not the best judge.

Edit: sorry, just realized that you did say Cohen's flexibility was better than Rochette, which I guess means her spirals, or at least the position of her spirals. But that's just where we just won't agree because to me flexibility is important.
    Last edited by Layfan; 11-20-2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Spirals???? Rochette's spirals don't even compare to Cohen's. And yes opinions are great because what I'm about to say is totally subjective ... but Cohen's artistry is head and shoulders above Rochette's. I liked her footwork better too but maybe that's just choreography, I'm not the best judge.
    Spirals are about way more than just flexibility. Rochette has far greater security in her edges than Cohen, plus I think Joannie skates faster than Sasha. Speed and security of edge are more important than flexibility in my eyes.

Custom Title
    More specifically spin and spiral positions. Cohen only had the positions on spins and spirals. She is a faster spinner but of course, over time, the quality of her spinning went down. Rochette made not have the positions for the spirals, but OMG! Spirals is also a demonstration of basic skating. Rochette's edges in her spirals is far superior to Cohen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Akiko also got a wrong edge call on her lutz. So that was three jumping errors.
    I didn't get to watch the event (at work), but could someone tell me what happened on her axel? People are saying "toe axel" but I'm not 100% sure what that means...

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    I didn't get to watch the event (at work), but could someone tell me what happened on her axel? People are saying "toe axel" but I'm not 100% sure what that means...
    It wasn't her axel - that jump was great. It was on her double toe loop. A toe axel is when you jump forward off of your toe pick.

"Toe axel" refers to the double toe loop at the end of her jump combination. The take off was so far turned forward, it looks like she stuck her toe in the ice and did an Axel as opposed to a double toe loop (a knock that Asada has gotten prior that she seems to have fixed). This is a guaranteed downgrade.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The layback was not. Were you watching?

Appropriately giving personality to the music is part of the PCS, however.
    Isn't personality a VERY subjective thing to begin with?
    As for use of the music, you may not see it, but for me Joannie is one of the best ladies who actually listens and feels the music, and interprets nicely. Her expression is not as extroverted as Kim's, (for me, not as "put on"), but she "gets" the character and presents the music naturally. There's attention to details and I think her use of arms to express music is some of the best in the field. You may not see it, but it doesn't mean everybody doesn't see it.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    According to YOU .To me, Cohen never had any real artistry.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Let's stop the nonsense right now.

Rochette's Spirals are NOT as good as Sasha's.

Sasha achieves positions and body line with her Spirals that nobody else in the World can match.

I would love to see Rochette's edge quality while doing a full-split, back-stop Charlotte.

*Hint* - it wouldn't be as good as Cohen's and she wouldn't have nearly as good of a position either.

Sasha demonstrated very good edge control in her Spirals. The way she could turn from a back edge to a forward edge in full split position was another trademark move that exhibited this.

According to YOU .To me, Cohen never had any real artistry.
    Well, yes, I did very clearly state that was according to ME. I didn't say it was a fact. anyway, getting off topic so I'll leave it there.
    Last edited by Layfan; 11-20-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast