Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

Tripping on the Podium
    It was great to see Joannie's clean SP. By the way, I was amazed by pple saying her spirals have speed. Even though I like Joannie, I found her spirals were quite slow in her performance of today. Even the (Canadian) commentator of CBC pointed out that she was slow on her spirals. I hope she'll improve on this point by the GPF or the Olympic games.

Well, anyway, a lot of thanks to Joannie, Akiko and Alissa for their great performances of today

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Let's stop the nonsense right now.

Rochette's Spirals are NOT as good as Sasha's.

Sasha achieves positions and body line with her Spirals that nobody else in the World can match.

I would love to see Rochette's edge quality while doing a full-split, back-stop Charlotte.

*Hint* - it wouldn't be as good as Cohen's and she wouldn't have nearly as good of a position either.

Sasha demonstrated very good edge control in her Spirals. The way she could turn from a back edge to a forward edge in full split position was another trademark move that exhibited this.

Sasha's edge quality is exactly why she would fall out of her spins. Sasha may have better lines but her edges are poor compared to Joannie's. You need not even compare Sasha to Joannie. Sasha has better spiral positions (save for the arabesque) than Michelle and variably with Shizuka, except their edges are far better. There is a reason why both Michelle and Shizuka can travel across the ice on their spirals with ease. Sasha (and several American women known for their spirals) just scrape on by. Sasha was trained to be a multidirectional skater to compensate for her weak skating skills but she barely traces on the ice. Skaters are expect to be able to skating in many directions but the tracing is important.

Congrats to Joannie, Alissa and Mirai.

What was the snarky remark that Caroline made in the K&C? My feed was lousy and I missed it.

Custom Title
    Enough with the comparisons already!

We all know that scores can't be compared between competitions, ESPECIALLY when you're talking about 3+ seasons ago.

Custom Title
    Originally Posted by Blades of Passion

Sasha achieves positions and body line with her Spirals that nobody else in the World can match.

I would love to see Rochette's edge quality while doing a full-split, back-stop Charlotte.

*Hint* - it wouldn't be as good as Cohen's and she wouldn't have nearly as good of a position either.

Sasha demonstrated very good edge control in her Spirals. The way she could turn from a back edge to a forward edge in full split position was another trademark move that exhibited this.
    When Sasha first appeared on the scene it would be more correct to say she demonstrated very good flat control on her non-spirals. They're called a spiral because of the arc the edge describes on the ice. Sasha executed her Charlotte on her flat. She did her vertical split skid spiral on her flat.

To her credit she eventually executed both spirals on an edge, but her edges were never as powerful, smooth and fast as the best spirals. Not to mention she would still not infrequently rock back up on her flat when doing it, most notably in her skid spiral.

This was a tough one for me to figure out too because I remember reading how Irina Sluteskaya had good spirals and being all [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] because her legs were bent. Well yeah, it would have been better with a straighter leg - higher level - but her edge, control, ice coverage and speed on a couple of them were first rate.

Her edge on her charlotte was never anything to write home about (Sasha's) even when she finally did do it on an edge.

Custom Title
    hey lay off--zhang tried a triple triple gets downgraded but a white girl like rachel tries and falls and gets credited--biased and r" and d' is keep going on in skating
    why shouldn't she get snarky-ice network made sure everyone knew about where she finished last season at skate canada--not a word about the white girls where they finished at last season gp events or sasha-or the fact they overlook their mistakes
    yes i don't like it but i say zhang should sue the usfsa, isu and whoever else she can think of because SHE IS NOT GOING TO GET A FAIR SHAKE> SHE WiLL BE robbed or d against in skating- no matter what she does-clean or otherwise.
    i think meissner ought to sue the usfsa to get into nationals the way they are intentionally favoring certain skaters over others.
    keeps this up-lose more fans based o
    n cheating, unfair judging and d and r.

i told at being of season that usfsa put zhang in teb and skate canada in a Deliberate attempt to keep her down and out of olympics and nationals and future skating--see scores and how the keep other us girls up their and overlook mistakes for them and not her. yes they and you have proven me right.
    i didn't want to be-but you have.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Congrats to Joannie, Alissa and Mirai.

What was the snarky remark that Caroline made in the K&C? My feed was lousy and I missed it.
    She gave a fake smile and said "Oh well, thats life" loudly for all to hear. But it was in an incredibly sarcastic way. I love Caroline...but this has to stop...it just doesn't help her. I mean, its not like her score was criminal...perhaps its just that *certain* skaters should not have scored as high as they did, but I would say that her score is not as unreasonable as Akiko's or Mirai's. The thing is, she was still slow and although her 3-3 was better than I expected, her 3Loop was dismal! And thats an "easy" jump! Caroline, dear, the judges did not steal a 58+ score from you. She has got to learn that she can't keep doing, on and off the ice, what she has been doing.
    Last edited by cornell08; 11-20-2009 at 05:34 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    but for me Joannie is one of the best ladies who actually listens and feels the music, and interprets nicely. Her expression is not as extroverted as Kim's, (for me, not as "put on"), but she "gets" the character and presents the music naturally.
    ???

If expression is not extroverted, how can the third party know she is expressing something? If you feel she is expressive even if she does not "extrovert" it, isn't that because you're willing/ready to feel it? Aren't dancers and actors supposed to extrovert what they want to express making use of their bodies, faces and speeches?

And I don't think Yuna's expression is "put on". Hers looks quite natural (and extrovert, of course) in my eyes. She also looks like really feeling her music and express her moves on the right notes. Actually I saw those "put on" expressions from younger skaters today, those who are trying hard to develop there artistry, which was fun to watch though
    Last edited by zartian; 11-20-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nevergonnadance View Post
    When Sasha first appeared on the scene it would be more correct to say she demonstrated very good flat control ...

Darn, I missed the competition. Those who saw it, were Joannie's Choreograpy/Composition and Interpretation each really more than a full point and a quarter better thatn Alissa's?
    Last edited by Mathman; 11-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blades of Passion

When Sasha first appeared on the scene it would be more correct to say she demonstrated very good flat control on her non-spirals. They're called a spiral because of the arc the edge describes on the ice. Sasha executed her Charlotte on her flat. She did her vertical split skid spiral on her flat.

To her credit she eventually executed both spirals on an edge, but her edges were never as powerful, smooth and fast as the best spirals. Not to mention she would still not infrequently rock back up on her flat when doing it, most notably in her skid spiral.

This was a tough one for me to figure out too because I remember reading how Irina Sluteskaya had good spirals and being all [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] because her legs were bent. Well yeah, it would have been better with a straighter leg - higher level - but her edge, control, ice coverage and speed on a couple of them were first rate.

Her edge on her charlotte was never anything to write home about (Sasha's) even when she finally did do it on an edge.
    This is VERY enlightening for me, I have to say, so thanks so much. I've just been just as frustrated as you say you were wondering why people were getting good marks for their spirals when I couldn't see what was so great about them. So, now I have one more thing I understand better about skating. (although, i WILL say that I never minded Irina's spiral positions as much as I mind Joannie's.)

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    She gave a fake smile and said "Oh well, thats life" loudly for all to hear. But it was in an incredibly sarcastic way. I love Caroline...but this has to stop...it just doesn't help her. I mean, its not like her score was criminal...perhaps more that *certain* skaters should not have scored as high as they did, but I would say that her score is not as unreasonable as Akiko's or Mirai's. The thing is, she was still slow and although her 3-3 was better than I expected, her 3Loop was dismal! And thats an "easy" jump! Caroline, dear, the judges did not steal a 58+ score from you. She has got to learn that she can't keep doing, on and off the ice, what she has been doing.
    But based on what she's said in interviews, she KNOWS that. The question becomes then, is she willing to put in the work to fix these issues? She can't really do much now (except maybe improve her speed a bit)- because re-working her jump technique would mean inconsistency for at least two seasons...

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    She gave a fake smile and said "Oh well, thats life" loudly for all to hear. But it was in an incredibly sarcastic way. I love Caroline...but this has to stop...it just doesn't help her. I mean, its not like her score was criminal...perhaps its just that *certain* skaters should not have scored as high as they did, but I would say that her score is not as unreasonable as Akiko's or Mirai's. The thing is, she was still slow and although her 3-3 was better than I expected, her 3Loop was dismal! And thats an "easy" jump! Caroline, dear, the judges did not steal a 58+ score from you. She has got to learn that she can't keep doing, on and off the ice, what she has been doing.
    When she first came off the ice she also said something along the lines "Well that should score like a 49" in the attitude filled tone that teenagers have

It was awkward to watch!

^^Thanks.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    hey lay off--zhang tried a triple triple gets downgraded but a white girl like rachel tries and falls and gets credited--biased and r" and d' is keep going on in skating
    why shouldn't she get snarky-ice network made sure everyone knew about where she finished last season at skate canada--not a word about the white girls where they finished at last season gp events or sasha-or the fact they overlook their mistakes
    yes i don't like it but i say zhang should sue the usfsa, isu and whoever else she can think of because SHE IS NOT GOING TO GET A FAIR SHAKE> SHE WiLL BE robbed or d against in skating- no matter what she does-clean or otherwise.
    i think meissner ought to sue the usfsa to get into nationals the way they are intentionally favoring certain skaters over others.
    keeps this up-lose more fans based on cheating, unfair judging and d and r.

i told at being of season that usfsa put zhang in teb and skate canada in a Deliberate attempt to keep her down and out of olympics and nationals and future skating--see scores and how the keep other us girls up their and overlook mistakes for them and not her. yes they and you have proven me right.
    i didn't want to be-but you have.
    Dude, let's not start off a post by referring to people's skin color, mmkay, Query5?

I don't care what Caroline says. Snark amuses me. However, Rachael's skating is actually better than Caroline. I mean Rachael's skating is nothing to write home about compared to the top rank skaters but it's not nearly as bad as Caroline. Caroline has very poor technique and skating skills; a near stand still axel, far-reaching back jumps, a flutz, URs, a loop that appears to be rotated around with her shoulders. It just goes on. No amount of artistry and pretty spins/spirals can hide that.

Down With It
    seems like there is a general disdain here- I don't see anything wrong with expressing even a little bit of frustration. I mean, it's not like she's throwing anything at the judges or dissing them (openly) or other displays of bad sportsmanship

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast