Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Ladies SP 13:15 pm Eastern Time Friday, November 20

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zartian View Post
    Oops! I went too far! I myself am not the person who will ever call her brother. (I swear! ) I just saw some people saying that on the web and quoted that in order to emphasize that she is not particularly viewed as more feminine than the other skaters the original poster mentioned.

If you think it is really offensive and would like me to delete my post, I'll do that. Just tell me.
    Perhaps you should modify your mocking tone at Kinga and bold her whole quote, that is, when she said "To me, [Joannie's] skating is more feminine..." There was no need to bring in some other country's standard. Kinga was only speaking for herself.

Whichever country is referring to Joannie as a "brother", I find that sad. I am not sure I like the implications when the standard for feminine beauty excludes physical strength...in about 40 years I will be at risk of osteoporosis, so there are health implications (as well as social implications...)

Custom Title
    "I didn't try the triple-triple, but my program is great enough that I don't need it if I skate clean," Rochette said.

from
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

This is troubling for many reasons. First, if skaters can score 70s, without as much difficulty in jump content, then what progress can be made in figure skating? Joannie's short was not as good as Mao's and Yuna's good short programs. Her jumps are not as high and do not cover as much ice as Yuna's, and her landings are not as soft and graceful as Mao's. Her feel for the music is also inferior to both Yuna and Mao. Some may say there is racism, and no one likes to acknowledge this as legitimate. I would say its not so much racism, as it is judges liking to break up hegemony in domination by any one geographic area of the world in a particular sport. Joannie happens to be the only legitimate gold medal contender outside of the Asia region, so I think there is no way to deny that this figures into the computation of the score. In addition, the competition is held in Canada. Joannie better not take this to mean that she can continue to skate easier programs because by precedence she has gotten a stellar score without harder jumps. It does not make sense mathematically, and it does not make sense when comparing scores/programs to other top ladies. Bad judging.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    "I didn't try the triple-triple, but my program is great enough that I don't need it if I skate clean," Rochette said.

from
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

This is troubling for many reasons. First, if skaters can score 70s, without as much difficulty in jump content, then what progress can be made in figure skating? Joannie's short was not as good as Mao's and Yuna's good short programs. Her jumps are not as high and do not cover as much ice as Yuna's, and her landings are not as soft and graceful as Mao's. Her feel for the music is also inferior to both Yuna and Mao. Some may say there is racism, and no one likes to acknowledge this as legitimate. I would say its not so much racism, as it is judges liking to break up hegemony in domination by any one geographic area of the world in a particular sport. Joannie happens to be the only legitimate gold medal contender outside of the Asia region, so I think there is no way to deny that this figures into the computation of the score. In addition, the competition is held in Canada. Joannie better not take this to mean that she can continue to skate easier programs because by precedence she has gotten a stellar score without harder jumps. It does not make sense mathematically, and it does not make sense when comparing scores/programs to other top ladies. Bad judging.
    Yeah, I thought that too when I first read that quote ... I thought, well, that's the trouble with inflated scores. (If her score WAS inflated, which I'm not saying it was...) But reading the story more carefully what she really meant was that it's too risky for her to try the 3-3 in the short program.. It's what she did in COC - against her coach's wishes - and it got her in trouble. SHE didn't know she was going get a 70. She just knew that she would be ahead of the pack in THIS field without the 3-3 in the short, as long as she skated clean, no matter what the score was. She says she is planning a 3-3 in the long. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    This is troubling for many reasons. First, if skaters can score 70s, without as much difficulty in jump content, then what progress can be made in figure skating?
    How about having no under-rotations and no errors on the entry edges to her jumps? Her stat for jumps up to last year was 0/71 in underrotations. How about that for progress?

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Perhaps you should modify your mocking tone at Kinga and bold her whole quote, that is, when she said "To me, [Joannie's] skating is more feminine..." There was no need to bring in some other country's standard. Kinga was only speaking for herself.

Whichever country is referring to Joannie as a "brother", I find that sad. I am not sure I like the implications when the standard for feminine beauty excludes physical strength...in about 40 years I will be at risk of osteoporosis, so there are health implications (as well as social implications...)
    I have no idea what some of these posters want or expect from skaters.

I think Joannie skates like a dream and find everything about her attractive. She works hard, does charitable deeds, has been a Unesco ambassador, and is an idea role model to the young skaters and the youth of her country.

It is easy to see why so many North Americans and fans from all over world respect and support Joannie Rochette.

Go Joannie

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    I have a little naughty quiestion. Does Joannie have a boyfriend or husband?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Elizabeth View Post
    I have a little naughty quiestion. Does Joannie have a boyfriend or husband?
    Sure does! She lives with her boyfriend in Montreal and he is an Olympic short track speed skater who won silver in Torino and will be headed to Vancouver as well. IMO, he is the best thing that ever happened to her. She is so in love

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Sure does! She lives with her boyfriend in Montreal and he is an Olympic short track speed skater who won silver in Torino and will be headed to Vancouver as well. IMO, he is the best thing that ever happened to her. She is so in love
    Oh, I'm glad to hear that! Happy for them!

Custom Title
    Joannie is a very good skater, and judging from THIS SEASON, i'd put her ahead of Mao and Miki and only behind Yuna. I agree that Mao CAN be better than Joannie, but with her programs this season and the way she's been performing recently, I wouldn't say that she is better than Joannie at this point. Mao does like 3 jumps only: axel, flutz, and loop. She is very graceful and a good jumper but until she steps it up this season I don't think it's fair to say she's better than Rochette. The same thing goes for Miki Ando. Another thing, what is the difference in point value for a 3lutz-2toe and a 3lutz-3toe? I would assume it is less than 6 points, and in that case, it does make sense that Joannie can get a 70 if Yuna gets a 76, considering Yuna's layback and spirals are not perfect either.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Elizabeth View Post
    I have a little naughty quiestion.
    There's nothing "naughty" about it...somewhat OT, maybe, but nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    How about having no under-rotations and no errors on the entry edges to her jumps? Her stat for jumps up to last year was 0/71 in underrotations. How about that for progress?
    That is pretty impressive. I mean, here everyone is complaining how all of these amazing skaters do clean programs only to be frustrated because the judges are being too picky about UR and edge calls ... and here Joannie is demonstrating that it CAN be done. Her overall quality is what makes her breathtaking. I still don't love her spiral sequences ... but I don't love Yuna Kim's either...

Custom Title
    ....but Kim can do a bielman.

Custom Title
    Good lord, I get the impression people be would be much happier if Joannie had scored 69.88 or something in this SP instead of 70.0. It's just a number! She is not scoring "well into the 70's without a 3-3" (gasp!), she barely squeaked out a 70.00. Who knows, the judges might have scored it slightly stricter if anyone else here had skated to her level for a better comparison. She might have benefitted from a slightly more enthusisatic response to the judges also from skating last in front of an enthusiastic home crowd. A 10th of a point here, a 10th of a point there... These things happen!!!!. Or maybe the 70 would still stand - she did in fact deliver a solid and fully mature program. Her previous PB is only a little over 2 points off this score anyway, which she received for a program with similar content. Her Choreo and interpretation are arguably better here.

I just finally got to watch the whole peformance. I think it is a pretty fabulous MATURE program, skated and interpreted extremely well, technically solid though not without various little things to nitpick on.. but it's not like she received any "perfect" score because she reached magical 70.

Can people PLEASE stop comparing scores from other years?
    Last edited by amateur; 11-21-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Medalist
    To me, Joannie's skating and appearance on ice are less feminine than Johnny's, although femininity is not something I look for from figure skating. To me, she looks bulky. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being a muscular woman and I'm muscular myself and try hard. I'm not only talking about having muscles but her movements on ice overall. Athletic? Yes. Feminine?

As a completely separate matter, her score makes me But ow well, it's SC after all. So good luck with FP tonight ladies. I do want to see Alissa's clean LP tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by sjwh08 View Post
    To me, Joannie's skating and appearance on ice are less feminine than Johnny's, although femininity is not something I look for from figure skating. To me, she looks bulky. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being a muscular woman and I'm muscular myself and try hard. I'm not only talking about having muscles but her movements on ice overall. Athletic? Yes. Feminine?

As a completely separate matter, her score makes me But ow well, it's SC after all. So good luck with FP tonight ladies. I do want to see Alissa's clean LP tonight.
    Argh!! Don't jinx it!!

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast