Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: IF Mao changes her coach next season, who would be good for her?

  1. #1
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793

    IF Mao changes her coach next season, who would be good for her?

    I know this is not gonna happen this season. But her team doesn't seem to be working well. How many months and weeks in total has she spent with TAT this season? I really hope that she gets a full-time coach next season. Who would be good for her if she does?

  2. #2
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I know this is not gonna happen this season. But her team doesn't seem to be working well. How many months and weeks in total has she spent with TAT this season? I really hope that she gets a full-time coach next season. Who would be good for her if she does?
    Somebody in Japan since Mao refuses to leave Japan to train.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    816
    Originally Posted by Nadia01
    Somebody in Japan since Mao refuses to leave Japan to train.
    That's interesting. Assuming that it's true, it tells you a lot about her priority. If her priority is to be the world best female skater, she would be willing to seek the 'best coach' for her where ever that coach resides, I would think, IMHO.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    I was going to say Frank Carrol. He seems to be helping Mirai with her jumps. That is interesting that Mao does not want to leave Japan though, considering she was training in America a few years ago. I think she is enrolled in college in Japan though, which may be one of the reasons she does not wish to leave

  5. #5
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Does Mao have any contact with Midori, and does Midori ever coach? Just wondering.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    370
    I hope no one says Brian Orser. Ugh. It makes me feel really annoyed when people start saying that.

  7. #7
    Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,989
    Because it's Mao we're talking about, maybe Yuka Sato. It could work.
    Choreo - Kenji Miyamoto.

    Costumes: best (Japanese) designers only. She can afford them. And, please, no tights over the boots. Mao doesn't need it.

  8. #8
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Because it's Mao we're talking about, maybe Yuka Sato. It could work.
    Choreo - Kenji Miyamoto.

    Costumes: best (Japanese) designers only. She can afford them. And, please, no tights over the boots. Mao doesn't need it.
    Yuka would be fantastic for Mao! They have similar strengths such as soft, gentle touch to the ice, wonderful steps, mellow, smily presence etc. Something richer, softer, and more nuanced can be added to her skating.

    Although Yuka was not a very strong jumper which could be against Mao's focus, it's interesting actually Mao went to TAT despite TAT not being a jump coach.

    Mao used to have among the prettiest costumes in 2006-8 seasons (Nocturne, So Deep in the Night, 2008 Worlds Chopin). Can she go back to them?

    It's not a good idea to let TAT, Morozov, Yuka or any coach design costumes. With all respect to them, they are skaters and coaches, not fashion designers. Only the light blue SP costume with a bird in front from a couple of seasons ago was actually fab though. It was TAT's designing, right? I do not know how much she was involved in desgining at that time though (i.e., A coach could give a designer a basic concept and let the desginer polish it, which I believe would work the best).
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.

  9. #9
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Yuka would be fantastic for Mao! They have similar strengths such as soft, gentle touch to the ice, wonderful steps, mellow, smily presence etc. Something richer, softer, and more nuanced can be added to her skating.

    Although Yuka was not a very strong jumper which could be against Mao's focus, it's interesting actually Mao went to TAT despite TAT not being a jump coach.

    Mao used to have among the prettiest costumes in 2006-8 seasons (Nocturne, So Deep in the Night, 2008 Worlds Chopin). Can she go back to them?

    It's not a good idea to let TAT, Morozov, Yuka or any coach design costumes. With all respect to them, they are skaters and coaches, not fashion designers. Only the light blue SP costume with a bird in front from a couple of seasons ago was actually fab though. It was TAT's designing.



    Word. The only good about Mao's LP costume this year is that it's so awful it distracts from how disastrous her skating has been.

  10. #10
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    [/B]

    Word. The only good about Mao's LP costume this year is that it's so awful it distracts from how disastrous her skating has been.

  11. #11
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    51
    Does Shizuka have any intentions of coaching?
    Brian was relatively new when Yuna came to him.
    Yuka was relatively new when Jeremy came to her.

    I don't know who else isn't already busy with their own students to coach Mao in Japan since she wants to stay there.

  12. #12
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,167
    I beg to differ on Yuka. She's been coaching for quite a while in Detroit, Jeremy is the first "big name" to come to her.

  13. #13
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrock View Post
    Does Shizuka have any intentions of coaching?
    Brian was relatively new when Yuna came to him.
    Yuka was relatively new when Jeremy came to her.

    I don't know who else isn't already busy with their own students to coach Mao in Japan since she wants to stay there.
    Shizuka could be a great, great coach. She is very calm and very smart. She has such analytical eyes. She also seems emotionally mature, kind, and considerate.

    But she may a bit too busy with many wonderful things at shows, TV commentary, and many other events.

  14. #14
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Shizuka could be a great, great coach. She is very calm and very smart. She has such analytical eyes. She also seems emotionally mature, kind, and considerate.

    But she may a bit too busy with many wonderful things at shows, TV commentary, and many other events.
    I agree. Shizuka is very busy w/ TV commentary work. I watch her comment on every major skating event, including all (except NHK Trophy) Grand Prix events this season. I expect her to opine on skaters at the GPF, Nationals & Oly.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic
    Posts
    594
    Nicks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •