Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Can we just be fair to Alissa and point out that NONE of the U.S. ladies managed to put together two stellar programs in the GP events? She did just as well as anybody else among the Americans this season, IMO. In fact, I thought all the top U.S. ladies, except for Caroline, fended rather well for themselves. They showed they are to be reckoned with. Alissa, Ashley and Rachel all have GP silvers. That's nothing to sniff about.

You are right, and I think it's actually good that none of the US did the best ever (except for maybe Rachael's LP at SA) at their GP events because I think it means they will continue to get better as the season progresses, which will hopefully mean each will peak at nationals and/or the olympics. The thing I said about Alissa and jumps was in reference to the Olympics, not nationals and the other skaters there. Right now I would rank her #2 US lady behind Rachael Flatt, though in the US she could easily be number 1 again. Rachael and Ashley are kind of similar in there skating styles and that's why I think Rachael and Alissa should go. Could the US ever send Rachael and Alissa to the Olympics but say Ashley and Mirai to worlds? That seems like a logical move if results are close at nationals. Do anyone think if Ashley does well at GPF that she could edge out Rachael for a spot at the Olympics?

R.D.

Record Breaker
On paper, Alyssa seems to be in a good position to win again but in reality, she IS the defending champion and that's probably the toughest position to be in. When was the last time a US lady successfully defended her first US championship?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
On paper, Alyssa seems to be in a good position to win again but in reality, she IS the defending champion and that's probably the toughest position to be in. When was the last time a US lady successfully defended her first US championship?

Rosalynn Summers. Won first in 1982. Defended in 1983.

bekalc

Record Breaker
You are right, and I think it's actually good that none of the US did the best ever (except for maybe Rachael's LP at SA) at their GP events because I think it means they will continue to get better as the season progresses, which will hopefully mean each will peak at nationals and/or the olympics. The thing I said about Alissa and jumps was in reference to the Olympics, not nationals and the other skaters there. Right now I would rank her #2 US lady behind Rachael Flatt, though in the US she could easily be number 1 again. Rachael and Ashley are kind of similar in there skating styles and that's why I think Rachael and Alissa should go. Could the US ever send Rachael and Alissa to the Olympics but say Ashley and Mirai to worlds? That seems like a logical move if results are close at nationals. Do anyone think if Ashley does well at GPF that she could edge out Rachael for a spot at the Olympics?

I cannot see them leaving Rachael off the Olympic or World team. They will need Rachael to help them get spots for next year as well, and she has an outside shot at medaling at both events too.

Yes she was shaky in China, but she clearly demonstrated at Skate America that she by far has the highest scoring potential of all of the US ladies. Alissa is just too inconsistent and her jumps are very weak and downgradable as well.

I think that Wagner (and I don't think her and Rachael are that alike) at this point has a good shot at the second spot. But some of it will depend on how she does at the GPF.

So I think Rachael is a lock. And then its between Wagner, Czisny, Nagasu in that order.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Rosalynn Summers. Won first in 1982. Defended in 1983.

Wow. I've never thought of that ... if Alissa of all people becomes the first person to break that trend it will be a miracle indeed. Kind of an ironic one.:p

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I cannot see them leaving Rachael off the Olympic or World team.

If she finishes below 2nd at Nationals, she will not be on the Olympic team.

It's really that simple.

I do think there is some feeling that she is DUE for a National Title, though, given her 2 Silver Medals in a row.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I cannot see them leaving Rachael off the Olympic or World team. They will need Rachael to help them get spots for next year as well, and she has an outside shot at medaling at both events too.

Yes she was shaky in China, but she clearly demonstrated at Skate America that she by far has the highest scoring potential of all of the US ladies. Alissa is just too inconsistent and her jumps are very weak and downgradable as well.

I think that Wagner (and I don't think her and Rachael are that alike) at this point has a good shot at the second spot. But some of it will depend on how she does at the GPF.

So I think Rachael is a lock. And then its between Wagner, Czisny, Nagasu in that order.

Generally, I agree with this post except for the "Rachel is a lock" part. I do think she has the strongest chance of making the team but she's no Kwan or Cohen. She hasn't even won the US title yet.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

It's really that simple.

I do think there is some feeling that she is DUE for a National Title, though, given her 2 Silver Medals in a row.

Right. The question then becomes does she score less than second?

bekalc

Record Breaker

It's really that simple.

And you think that the judges are going to be willing to let Flatt do so??? I mean this is the same group that found a way to ensure Alissa won last year.

After Flatt's fifth place finish at worlds, and her very big score at Skate America, Flatt's PCS and her GOE at Nationals is going to go up big time.

It's not just the feeling that she's due but the feeling that perhaps she should have actually won both times as well. No she's not Kwan or Cohen, but she's absolutely are strongest skater. Now sure if she has a meltdown, she'll likely be off then. But other than that....

ks777

Record Breaker
Can we just let Mirai make the Olympic team just because she is my favorite US skater?:p

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
And you think that the judges are going to be willing to let Flatt do so??? I mean this is the same group that found a way to ensure Alissa won last year.

Alissa's SP was one of the best we've seen at Nationals in the past 3 years and the first half of her LP was divine and displayed FAR greater maturity and depth than anything the other competitors did.

She deserved her title.

If Rachael had a better LP at 2009 Nationals, she would have been the National Champion. That program was simply awful. She was wise to go back to what she used in 2008 when she went to 2009 Worlds.

The judges may hold her up this year, but she'll still have to skate well enough.

I think she is the most likely person to win the National Title this year but we won't know until it happens. She can easily be off the Olympic team.

Maybe by this year, Mirai will take the decision-making out of the USFSA's hands by skating a take-no-prisoners short and long program, and they'll have to send her to the Olympics.

By the way, I just looked up a Czisny program on YouTube. It was from a year or two ago, and as I watched her spin, I realized that she was spinning faster for the final rotations than for the first ones. No wonder those of us who love her stick with her and stick up for her. I hope she holds up for the rest of the season and maintains steadiness and confidence for her whole routine, so we can see her in the Olympics. When I watch her, not only do I know that she's not counting moves and points under her breath, but I'm not counting them either.

Yes, but she didn't successfully defend her first title, I think. Didn't she win in 96? Then Tara won in 97, if I recall. i'm typing this from memory, so someone please correct me if necessary.

Layfan

Record Breaker
they were talking abour defending it for the first time
michelle won it in 96 and the next year tara won it

In any case, neither Alyssa or Mirai, the only ladies who will have a title to either defend or win back, are Michelle Kwans. ;) (unless Sasha really does come back.)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes, but she didn't successfully defend her first title, I think. Didn't she win in 96? Then Tara won in 97, if I recall. i'm typing this from memory, so someone please correct me if necessary.

Nope, correct.

Multiple winners.

Kwan: won her first in 1996. Lost to Lipinski in 1997.
Trenary: won her first in 1987. Lost to Thomas in 1988.
Thomas: won her first in 1986. Lost to Trenary in 1987.
Sumners, Fratianne, Hammil, Lynn, Fleming, Heiss, Albright, Sherman, Vaughn, Tozzer, Vinson etc all successfully defended their first titles.

Thanks for the confirmation, Pogue!

I just watched Zhang's program. I really feel bad for her. Her technique is really betraying her. Man, her pre-Lutz kick is almost as high as her spiral.

And now Lepisto's on. It seems to me that she's got pretty good speed across the ice. I can't say I'm impressed with her jumps, but I love her footwork. And--totally irrelevant to her performance--the drape of that dress is inspired tailoring. My favorite one of the competition by far! The Finnish ladies often have the best outfits. Do they all use the same designer?

Last edited: