Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21 | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21

Kissx3

Final Flight
I hope Caroline doesn't retire due to not making the Olympics at 16. If she still loves skating, there's so much potential there for a future champion.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...Caroline can now officially be inducted into the club of B-skaters. She is no longer a contender for the U.S. podium and may not even make top 5 at U.S. Nationals.

I don't think she was an A-skater in the first place :think:

But I do agree that she has dropped down a rung or two. I remember everyone (including me to a certain extent) were promoting Flatt/Zhang for the Oly team to some extent. It's looking more and more like the three contenders are Flatt, Wagner and Czisny. Nagasu I think is the dark horse (due to her jump issues). IF Zhang can pull it together in the next couple of months she might be able to get herself back in contention...everyone else is likely just fighting for PBs rather than Oly spots.

However, congratulations to both Mirai and Alissa. Mirai now has a real shot of winning the U.S. Nationals and going to Vancouver and Alissa might join her there as a silver medalist if she can somehow beat Wagner. The chances of her doing that are not that great, but heck at least she has a shot.

Nagasu has an advantage over Czisny and Wagner in that she's somewhat more consistent...she could REALLY take advantage of a situation which both have an off-night...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Overall, Mirai showed some progress tonight. I think she can get her smile back but what good is that if she continued with so many downgrades.

BTW, I am sure Carroll is grooming Mirai for 2014. He knows she isn;t ready to win at the biggest events yet.

A few of her jumps were as good as any I saw tonight.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
That's gotta be a mistake. Thankfully it didn't change anything (I think if it was 5.75 or even 6.75, it would cause a shift in the PCS by something like .08).

krenseby

Final Flight
I don't think she was an A-skater in the first place :think:

But I do agree that she has dropped down a rung or two. I remember everyone (including me to a certain extent) were promoting Flatt/Zhang for the Oly team to some extent. It's looking more and more like the three contenders are Flatt, Wagner and Czisny. Nagasu I think is the dark horse (due to her jump issues). IF Zhang can pull it together in the next couple of months she might be able to get herself back in contention...everyone else is likely just fighting for PBs rather than Oly spots.

Nagasu has an advantage over Czisny and Wagner in that she's somewhat more consistent...she could REALLY take advantage of a situation which both have an off-night...

I think the only way Caroline gets it together is if she suddenly skates with musicality, pizzazz, and expression, and looks like she ENJOYS being on the ice. All of those factors are too hard to change in a couple of months.

As for Wagner, I honestly see her as the top contender right now, because she has proven herself again and again this season and more importantly because the judges seem to love her skating. If the judges at Nationals are influenced by the GP judges, then they won't really reward Mirai that much because even when MIrai's jumps are on she doesn't score as well as Alissa. Rachael was of course rewarded mightily by the judges at SA, so if that's a factor, she'll do great at Nationals as well.

So the contenders for Vancouver listed by their probability of making the team.

1.) Wagner
2.) Flatt
3.) Czisny
4.) Nagasu.
5.) Gilles
6.) Zhang

(I did leave out Cohen of course, but I am not sure if she'll show up at nationals.)

Last edited:

Johnnnn

On the Ice
oh man

I'm very disappointed in SC. What's up with the ridiculous PCS scores for

Canadian skaters? Especially for Patrick Chen and Joannie Rochette.

They are really inflating their PCS and getting ready for the olympics.

Also I'm rather shocked by what Joannie said (I don't need triple triple I can get points from other elements blah blah ~~).

Oh come on as if she deserved that 70.00.

Except for her jumps, her spiral is slow and not so pretty,

her spin is horrible (I wouldn't even call that a layback) and overall

her programs are just so uninspiring. I bet no one will watch her performance

over and over again.

Bennett

Record Breaker
How did Akiko get 5's again on her PCS? One judge gave her 3.5 on her transition/linkage footwork. Doesn't her program anything in between?
Mirai was also hit a lot on her PCS.

beep_beep

Medalist

Also I'm rather shocked by what Joannie said (I don't need triple triple I can get points from other elements blah blah ~~).

over and over again.
Do we have an anti-canada über?

katakwan

Rinkside

over and over again.

I bet someone will watch her play over and over again.:agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the only way Caroline gets it together is if she suddenly skates with musicality, pizzazz, and expression, and looks like she ENJOYS being on the ice. All of those factors are too hard to change in a couple of months.

As for Wagner, I honestly see her as the top contender right now, because she has proven herself again and again this season and more importantly because the judges seem to love her skating. If the judges at Nationals are influenced by the GP judges, then they won't really reward Mirai that much because even when MIrai's jumps are on she doesn't score as well as Alissa. Rachael was of course rewarded mightily by the judges at SA, so if that's a factor, she'll do great at Nationals as well.

So the contenders for Vancouver listed by their probability of making the team.

1.) Wagner
2.) Flatt
3.) Czisny
4.) Nagasu.
5.) Gilles
6.) Zhang

(I did leave out Cohen of course, but I am not sure if she'll show up at nationals.)

Personally, I'd switch Flatt and Wagner around. If Flatt goes clean at Nats, she's on the Oly team- that's nearly a done deal- it would take knockout performances from Czisny and Wagner plus a real bad night from Flatt to put her out.

So (as of today) in order from best: Flatt, Wagner, Czisny, Nagasu, then I might have Zhang and Gilles tied (if the latter has an off-night, she has no chance whatsoever).

Then, we haven't seen Wagner at the GPF. If she tanks there, does Czisny shoot ahead of her?

As for Cohen, she's rightfully left out of the discussion because she hasn't shown me she's seriously going to engage in this "comeback". Plus, no one knows what to expect. We've seen the other girls already.