Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21

R.D.

Record Breaker
i like laura. i find her more alluring than kira korpi as eye candy. in terms of jump technique and posture, as a skater, also.

Kiira is nice eye candy :love: but it just DOES NOT translate to the ice. I find her a rather bleh performer actually. She doesn't have enough on-ice personality IMHO or any standout moves or style. Just looks.

As for Laura, it was just that one program (the freeskate) that made me take notice. I mean, I've seen her before and I never really cared much for her. Or, maybe it was because everyone else before her was so BOOORING!!

poykio is the 3rd prettiest and so doesn't stand a chance to make the finnish oly team, since so far it's been a beauty pageant, though she should receive extra points for her very tasteful short program dress :rofl:

I watched Susanna at SA and she was completely BLEH. Easily the least engaging as far as the Finnish women are concerned. Then again, she was really off that night.

so glad i didn't skip my dinner date to watch the ladiezzzzzz.

yeah, you didn't miss much. I usually despise the moniker "ladiezzzz" (they're the most watchable and exciting discipline to me by a MILE) but in the case of tonight, until Lepisto it was quite accurate. At least Nagasu saved the night (for me) :yes: Alyssa did fine too. ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
And in terms of Proud to be Canadian Score, I think one could also make the argument of Prettiness Compensation Score to justify Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto's podium finishes this GP season :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
And in terms of Proud to be Canadian Score, I think one could also make the argument of Prettiness Compensation Score to justify Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto's podium finishes this GP season :laugh:

probably. Particularly in Kiira's case...not sure why Lepisto got 102 though. She made too many mistakes

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
^^ that's all I'm saying. She is very pretty though, but she should grow out her eyebrows and maybe eat some more...I was afraid she was going to break when she fell. Kiira is even prettier than her though so I wonder who will get to go to the olympics :laugh: . Does finland have one spot or two? I think the judges just get REALLY excited when the European ladies stay on their feet, because often time they don't, and go crazy with the scores. heh

figuristka

Medalist
1 more lepisto fan. about time you noticed the bewitching laura :)

i like laura. i find her more alluring than kira korpi as eye candy. in terms of jump technique and posture, as a skater, also. poykio is the 3rd prettiest and so doesn't stand a chance to make the finnish oly team, since so far it's been a beauty pageant, though she should receive extra points for her very tasteful short program dress :rofl:

so glad i didn't skip my dinner date to watch the ladiezzzzzz.

Physical beauty has nothing to do with placement but beauty on the ice such as line, carrige, speed etc.Does not sound very nice to remark that Pöyko is third prettiest.

Joannie was in a class by herself even with the mistakes, so mature and expressive, such difficult choreography. Yu Na, Mikki, and Mao Asada, are such strong skaters so Joannie will have to perhaps hold back the expression just a little and focus on the jumps.

skfan

Final Flight
hey i used the :rofl: for the post remarking poykio is the 3rd prettiest--so i wasn't being 100% serious. just making fun of the judging and its propensity to hold up pretty european women, a trend you'd find difficult to dispute.

anyway, i disagree kira is prettier than laura--once you see them in motion, laura wins by a mile. and R.D. you should check out laura on youtube at the japan open. that's when i first noticed her.

the judging is a joke, but i won't make a snit because i'm experiencing S/S 'out of africa' afterglow at the moment.

I wonder if that won't come with age though. She's still 16 right?
I never understand this line of thinking. It's like saying a 10 year old kid has time to become an artist. Not all kids are ever going to be artistic. Not all skaters are ever going to be subtle and sophisticated.

Which is not to say it can't happen. If Rachael already has the seeds of an artist, then yeah, she has time to develop. I did see those seeds in her two years ago, but not now. Where did they go? Maybe with all her schoolwork she doesn't have time to focus on presentation on top of making sure she masters the technical part.

figuristka

Medalist
hey i used the :rofl: for the post remarking poykio is the 3rd prettiest--so i wasn't being 100% serious. just making fun of the judging and its propensity to hold up pretty european women, a trend you'd find difficult to dispute.

anyway, i disagree kira is prettier than laura--once you see them in motion, laura wins by a mile. and R.D. you should check out laura on youtube at the japan open. that's when i first noticed her.

the judging is a joke, but i won't make a snit because i'm experiencing S/S 'out of africa' afterglow at the moment.

That's ok.:biggrin: Yes in motion Laura does look the nicest skater out of the Finnish. I still prefer Joannie's skating though.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I didn't get to see this one live ... but sounds like it was disappointing all around. Glad Alissa hung onto to silver but it's still a disappointment. Sounds like she could have won, if she had just skated her best. What needs to happen for to her to finally do that???
So, I take it she didn't qualify for the final? Still, she's entering Nationals on a relative high note. Hate to say it but maybe it's a good thing she is not going to finals _ at least she doesn't have a chance to bomb before nationals.
Mirai ... people's posts are confirming that Carmen is TOTALLY wrong for her. So frustrating!! But I'll have to see her program before I say anything else.

Feel so sorry for Caroline ...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Akiko was so screwed over. Thank GOD she is going to the GPF at least.

Hopefully in the setting of the GPF, where there is no first group and second group, she will be given more credit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
anyway, i disagree kira is prettier than laura--once you see them in motion, laura wins by a mile.

Beauty is subjective, I'll leave it at that.

IMHO, Kiira wins the off-ice looks contest...but Laura is the better skater.

YMMV.

Layfan

Record Breaker
still something about caroline that i love is when she talks, i dont know why but the way she expains everything is funny for me

hope with this competition she understand she has a lot of work to do:agree:

Oh my god!! That was so sweet the way Caroline gave Mirai a hug after the whole thing and told her she did well!! Sniff.
Mirai seems like she is so hard on herself... She struggling to find her herself and her motivation. I just find it very touching and refreshing the way she is so open with the world about her internatl struggles.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEpXfugukE

Backstage after comp. with Mirai and Caroline and short interview of Mira with David P.

Caroline's attitude, ugh.

I fear for her future children's happiness.

Just something about the way she says "yeah, I tried to be a smart and add a double toe to my Salchow, so then my 3 jump combo didn't count - the only jump I did well in the entiiiire program" and then sneers at the end.

Such a b**chy valley girl.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Caroline's attitude, ugh.

I fear for her future children's happiness.

Just something about the way she says "yeah, I tried to be a smart and add a double toe to my Salchow, so then my 3 jump combo didn't count - the only jump I did well in the entiiiire program" and then sneers at the end.

Such a b**chy valley girl.

But what about her future husband's happiness? :rofl::chorus:

Forgive my ignorance here but what's a "valley girl"?

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Forgive my ignorance here but what's a "valley girl"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_girl

Valley Girl is a term originally referring to affluent upper-middle class girls living in the bedroom community neighborhoods of San Fernando Valley.

The use became more general, and the stereotype can be found all over the United States, and also in other countries in different forms. Australia has its own variation of the Valley Girl accent, as lampooned by Ja'mie King.

A Valley Girl can be described as materialistic, self-centered, hedonistic, physically attractive (subjective) and sometimes sexually promiscuous. Valspeak is also a form of this trait, based on an exaggerated version of California English.

During the 1980s and the 1990s, the term metamorphosed into a caricature and stereotype of such women: a "ditzy" or "airhead" personality, and unapologetically "spoiled" behavior that showed more interest in shopping, personal appearance and social status than in intellectual development or personal accomplishment.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't think she was an A-skater in the first place :think:

But I do agree that she has dropped down a rung or two. I remember everyone (including me to a certain extent) were promoting Flatt/Zhang for the Oly team to some extent. It's looking more and more like the three contenders are Flatt, Wagner and Czisny. Nagasu I think is the dark horse (due to her jump issues). IF Zhang can pull it together in the next couple of months she might be able to get herself back in contention...everyone else is likely just fighting for PBs rather than Oly spots.

Nagasu has an advantage over Czisny and Wagner in that she's somewhat more consistent...she could REALLY take advantage of a situation which both have an off-night...

Honestly, all this talk about the who are now the front-runners for the U.S. Olympic team ... I think the truth is we are right back to where we started at the beginning of the season with a completely unpredictable competition.
Rachael Flatt is the closest thing to a lock but not quite. Same as last year. The judges will want to put Czisny on the team but she will have to prove herself. Same as last year. Mirai is an eratic dark horse. Same as last year. The only thing that's maybe changed is that Ashley and Caroline have switched places from last year, with Ashley much more a contender than Caroline. Poor Caroline ... she is in real trouble.

I guess you could say kudos to Czisny and to a lesser extend Mirai for showing they can't be counted out despite their struggles last year. And even more kudos for Ashley for showing she must reckoned with. Flatt ... she certainly proved she remains deifficult to beat among the Americans. But she didn't knock it out of the park or send a statement that she MUST be on the Olympic team.

Anyone else I'm missing? Oh yeah, Cohen. Out of respect for the fact that I'm responding to an R.D. post I won't even get into her.;)