Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEpXfugukE

Backstage after comp. with Mirai and Caroline and short interview of Mira with David P.
    Caroline's attitude, ugh.

I fear for her future children's happiness.

Just something about the way she says "yeah, I tried to be a smart and add a double toe to my Salchow, so then my 3 jump combo didn't count - the only jump I did well in the entiiiire program" and then sneers at the end.

Such a b**chy valley girl.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

Just something about the way she says "yeah, I tried to be a smart and add a double toe to my Salchow, so then my 3 jump combo didn't count - the only jump I did well in the entiiiire program" and then sneers at the end.

But what about her future husband's happiness? :chorus:

Forgive my ignorance here but what's a "valley girl"?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Forgive my ignorance here but what's a "valley girl"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_girl

Valley Girl is a term originally referring to affluent upper-middle class girls living in the bedroom community neighborhoods of San Fernando Valley.

The use became more general, and the stereotype can be found all over the United States, and also in other countries in different forms. Australia has its own variation of the Valley Girl accent, as lampooned by Ja'mie King.

A Valley Girl can be described as materialistic, self-centered, hedonistic, physically attractive (subjective) and sometimes sexually promiscuous. Valspeak is also a form of this trait, based on an exaggerated version of California English.

During the 1980s and the 1990s, the term metamorphosed into a caricature and stereotype of such women: a "ditzy" or "airhead" personality, and unapologetically "spoiled" behavior that showed more interest in shopping, personal appearance and social status than in intellectual development or personal accomplishment.

Custom Title

Forgive my ignorance here but what's a "valley girl"?
    Someone from the San Fernando Valley, immortalized in a song by Frank Zappa. I wouldn't be surprised to find it somewhere on Youtube. Caroline is from Orange County, so technicallly she isn't a Valley girl. But she does kind of talk like one.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnVE3UTIgEM

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I don't think she was an A-skater in the first place

But I do agree that she has dropped down a rung or two. I remember everyone (including me to a certain extent) were promoting Flatt/Zhang for the Oly team to some extent. It's looking more and more like the three contenders are Flatt, Wagner and Czisny. Nagasu I think is the dark horse (due to her jump issues). IF Zhang can pull it together in the next couple of months she might be able to get herself back in contention...everyone else is likely just fighting for PBs rather than Oly spots.

Nagasu has an advantage over Czisny and Wagner in that she's somewhat more consistent...she could REALLY take advantage of a situation which both have an off-night...
    Honestly, all this talk about the who are now the front-runners for the U.S. Olympic team ... I think the truth is we are right back to where we started at the beginning of the season with a completely unpredictable competition.
    Rachael Flatt is the closest thing to a lock but not quite. Same as last year. The judges will want to put Czisny on the team but she will have to prove herself. Same as last year. Mirai is an eratic dark horse. Same as last year. The only thing that's maybe changed is that Ashley and Caroline have switched places from last year, with Ashley much more a contender than Caroline. Poor Caroline ... she is in real trouble.

I guess you could say kudos to Czisny and to a lesser extend Mirai for showing they can't be counted out despite their struggles last year. And even more kudos for Ashley for showing she must reckoned with. Flatt ... she certainly proved she remains deifficult to beat among the Americans. But she didn't knock it out of the park or send a statement that she MUST be on the Olympic team.

Anyone else I'm missing? Oh yeah, Cohen. Out of respect for the fact that I'm responding to an R.D. post I won't even get into her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lySAcek View Post
    Does PCS stand for "Proud to be Canadian Score"?
    LOL Good one!! Or more like PROMOTE Canadian Score!
    Even if they are having a ****** competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEpXfugukE

Backstage after comp. with Mirai and Caroline and short interview of Mira with David P.
    Awwww.

You know, I wish Mao and Yu-Na could be as close as these two and give each other a comforting hug when they need it. Their lives are so similar and they can each understand the amount of pressure they have is unlike all the other ladies. If their countries hadn't set them up as mortal rivals, I bet Mao and Yu-Na would totally get along and be really good buddies. Sorry for being off topic and silly.

Random thought: In SA, Rachael Flatt rose to the occasion of Kim Yuna faltering by winning the free skate. Alissa Czisny had the same opportunity at SC to win the free skate over one of the world's best skaters who struggled a bit, but she didn't rise to it. Sigh. As someone once posted on Youtube ... it's hard being an Alissa fan.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Mirai was robbed in both SP and LP
    ITA. The placements for the most part were correct but for me-Lepisto should NOT have medalled and if it were up to me Alissa wouldn't have either with two falls.

For me SC was a hot mess. Depressing. Hopefully everyone in contention will skate lights out at the Olympics. Hopefully.

I believe Sasha would have actually done fairly well this season even on only one good leg. I'm just saying.

All the ladies events for me have just been a huge

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    ITA. The placements for the most part were correct but for me-Lepisto should NOT have medalled and if it were up to me Alissa wouldn't have either with two falls.

For me SC was a hot mess. Depressing. Hopefully everyone in contention will skate lights out at the Olympics. Hopefully.

I believe Sasha would have actually done fairly well this season even on only one good leg. I'm just saying.

All the ladies events for me have just been a huge
    The lacklusterness of this season DOES make you wonder ... we will never know.

Custom Title
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_girl

Australia has its own variation of the Valley Girl accent, as lampooned by Ja'mie King.

OMG I'm so impressed that wikipedia included our Ja'mie King from Summer Heights High!!! Like, you know what I mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtsJlZG1Ss

take off the oven mitts

other people watch that clip and notice that caroline was supportive of mirai--she could have said, you think you got it bad, look what the jackals did to me!

was it snippy? yes. has she demonstrated perfect graciousness in the past? nope, she's always let it hang right out there--i'm sure her mother and her agent cringe hearing her say that.

however i don't think caroline is the only ***** in skating history--not even in the most recent decade and a half. in the case of others we've heard various excuses made for them, they're young, they're supposed to be full of themselves, they're supposed to feel invicible, like they're going to be world beaters.

IMO caroline has good reason to feel bitter. in the short she skated with much better speed, with good feel for her choreography, timed her moves to the music, went for the 3-3, and found herself behind 2 lackluster canadian ladies who made jump mistakes. the judging has been a consistent middle finger toward caroline, and i don't blame her for feeling peeved, and she's always had a habit of letting her demons out. i don't like her being vilified for this, when much more obnoxious behavior has been defended by others in the past.

and i didn't know it was acceptable to call somebody a bitchy valley girl. if i only knew i would have had much more to say about some skaters and judges.

that is all i will say on this subject. you may have the last word.

This particular comment sounds to me like Caroline is sniping more at herself and her failed strategy than at the judges. No?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The 3.75 is in the short program. I guess that's why they throw out the lowest and highest marks.
    Do they still do that? I thought they stopped doing it from this season, and instead throw out 2 randomly selected judges, which, if that's the case, is so wrong.

Custom Title
    Selection of judges
    "There will be a panel of 9 Judges, of whom 7 are drawn at random. The scores of these seven Judges will form the result. Out of these seven scores, the highest and lowest score of each element or performance are ignored and the average will be taken from the remainder, generating the trimmed mean (average score)."

Ok I was wrong! Good good.

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast