Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Free Program 19:00 pm Eastern Time Saturday, November 21

Can we just let Mirai make the Olympic team just because she is my favorite US skater?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Can we just let Mirai make the Olympic team just because she is my favorite US skater?
    And finish 15th?

Sure, why not...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    And you think that the judges are going to be willing to let Flatt do so??? I mean this is the same group that found a way to ensure Alissa won last year.
    Alissa's SP was one of the best we've seen at Nationals in the past 3 years and the first half of her LP was divine and displayed FAR greater maturity and depth than anything the other competitors did.

She deserved her title.

If Rachael had a better LP at 2009 Nationals, she would have been the National Champion. That program was simply awful. She was wise to go back to what she used in 2008 when she went to 2009 Worlds.

The judges may hold her up this year, but she'll still have to skate well enough.

I think she is the most likely person to win the National Title this year but we won't know until it happens. She can easily be off the Olympic team.

Custom Title
    Maybe by this year, Mirai will take the decision-making out of the USFSA's hands by skating a take-no-prisoners short and long program, and they'll have to send her to the Olympics.

By the way, I just looked up a Czisny program on YouTube. It was from a year or two ago, and as I watched her spin, I realized that she was spinning faster for the final rotations than for the first ones. No wonder those of us who love her stick with her and stick up for her. I hope she holds up for the rest of the season and maintains steadiness and confidence for her whole routine, so we can see her in the Olympics. When I watch her, not only do I know that she's not counting moves and points under her breath, but I'm not counting them either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Rosalynn Summers. Won first in 1982. Defended in 1983.
    wait. didn't Michelle win back-to-back(-to-back-to-back...) titles from 1998 through to 2005?

Custom Title
    Yes, but she didn't successfully defend her first title, I think. Didn't she win in 96? Then Tara won in 97, if I recall. i'm typing this from memory, so someone please correct me if necessary.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    wait. didn't Michelle win back-to-back(-to-back-to-back...) titles from 1998 through to 2005?
    they were talking abour defending it for the first time
    michelle won it in 96 and the next year tara won it

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    they were talking abour defending it for the first time
    michelle won it in 96 and the next year tara won it
    In any case, neither Alyssa or Mirai, the only ladies who will have a title to either defend or win back, are Michelle Kwans. (unless Sasha really does come back.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, but she didn't successfully defend her first title, I think. Didn't she win in 96? Then Tara won in 97, if I recall. i'm typing this from memory, so someone please correct me if necessary.
    Nope, correct.

Multiple winners.

Kwan: won her first in 1996. Lost to Lipinski in 1997.
    Trenary: won her first in 1987. Lost to Thomas in 1988.
    Thomas: won her first in 1986. Lost to Trenary in 1987.
    Sumners, Fratianne, Hammil, Lynn, Fleming, Heiss, Albright, Sherman, Vaughn, Tozzer, Vinson etc all successfully defended their first titles.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the confirmation, Pogue!

I just watched Zhang's program. I really feel bad for her. Her technique is really betraying her. Man, her pre-Lutz kick is almost as high as her spiral.

And now Lepisto's on. It seems to me that she's got pretty good speed across the ice. I can't say I'm impressed with her jumps, but I love her footwork. And--totally irrelevant to her performance--the drape of that dress is inspired tailoring. My favorite one of the competition by far! The Finnish ladies often have the best outfits. Do they all use the same designer?
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-22-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Actually, I think with the conclusion of the 6 GP competitions, we do know more--we know which skaters the international judges have indicated they will potentially "support" with decent scores for this season, and they've pretty much telegraphed it clearly to USFS, if anyone there is reading the signals. And those skaters are Flatt, Wagner and Czisny in no particular order. Message to Mirai is "not yet" and message to Caroline is "forget it" at least for this season. My belief is we will not see Sasha at Nationals or at any other eligible competitions ever again, so I've discounted her as a factor.
    I totally agree with this post, but what I am confused about it is the "not yet" message to Mirai.

I mean, are they waiting for her to have an x number of great competitions before they start boosting her PCS?

I am sure she could skate exactly the same LP as she did at Skate Canada and earn much higher PCS for it. But the question is how many great competitions does she have to complete in order for the PCS to start coming in? (Note: This isn't a snark or a complaint, but more an attempt to understand what it takes for the judges to start rewarding skaters new to the scene?)

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I just watched ladies too.

Caroline looked depressed out there - not a drop of feeling on her face. It was alarming and sad to watch.

Lepisto has good choreography and yes, costuming. She really dances her tango. She seems to be going for the Katarina Witt vote. She's not an OGM contender but I could see her grabbing the bronze if the others skate the way they did at SC.

Alissa was, IMO, a bit of a snooze. Her slowness and caution are grinding down my appreciation of her spins and lovely line. Also - girl needs a dress that will cover her butt. You can't go around skating in your panties like that!

I was very gratified to see that Joannie wasn't happy with her performance and was extremely direct about her mistakes. OK, Joannie - I forgive you. You can keep the gold. But don't pull this one in Vancouver.

Mirai wasn't fabulous but she moved forward. I'd much rather hear her talk about blowing away the competition than how rotten and miserable she is. I hope she won't beat herself up later for saying that. Can't wait to see her in January.

I'm sorry Akiko wasn't at her best. I still love her and am delighted (if surprised) that she'll make it to the GPF. She should go back to the white shirt, though. I kept staring at that lavender top and thinking, "What?" Why lavender with yellow and red? It looked like something from a bag at a thrift store.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 11-22-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Down With It
    Nagasu's "blow away the competition" interview did not make it to the actual NBC broadcast so she got away with that one. It was refreshing to hear it though- she's so candid about everything, lol

Now that I've seen it on Universal sports, the whole competition wasn't nearly so bad as I expected. I liked Laura Lepisto the best.

On the Smokey Robinson show that followed, I liked Caryn Kadavy best.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I am getting very frustrated with the judging at this event. Mirai was pretty much scored for a fall for her second triple lutz, which she turned out of. I didn't see the reason for "e" either. Maybe "!"

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast