Is Mirai the One? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Is Mirai the One?

Figure88

On the Ice
That's true, actually. Kim Yuna is so dominant that you sometimes forget this is actually her first Olympics. After the Olympics more people will know her name. But Janetfan is right to say she is not well known. Believe me, most of the people I know only tune into figure skating during the Olympic year and they don't have a clue who Kim Yuna is.
The one exception to all of this might be Michelle and Tara. Most Americans probably knew who they were before their first Olympics in 1998. But that was in the years after the Tonya-Nancy saga when interest in the sport was at its peak. And of course, having two young Americans be the headliners at the Olympics will obviously always be more interesting to Americans than a South Korean being the runwaway favorite. How well known Kim Yuna is in the rest of the world outside Asia, I haven't a clue.

I think we'll get a clearer picture after the Olympics. Like I said, you're comparing a skater who has yet to compete at the Olympics to ones who became well known after they've medalled. There's a difference between a only number of avid skating fans following yearly competitions to the Olympics where billions of people watch.

Anyway, back to topic. Yeah, of all ladies skating, I liked Mirai and Christina Gao. I think they are the skaters with solid fundamentals and have the most potential to bring US out of the rut.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Those Hughes girls all look the same to me too - so let's cut NBC some slack ;)

Heh, it is rather uncanny. I wish I had the link, but I recently read anInternet article about Sasha Hughes accompanied by a picture of EMILY. It was driving me mad.

I think we'll get a clearer picture after the Olympics. Like I said, you're comparing a skater who has yet to compete at the Olympics to ones who became well known after they've medalled. There's a difference between a only number of avid skating fans following yearly competitions to the Olympics where billions of people watch.

I meant to agree with this - It's understandable that the general public doesn't really know Yuna Kim because she's never even been to an Olympics. We'll see how much that changes afterwards. I think Shizuka Arakawa is still a relative unknown in the states. But she stopped competing after the Olympics - understandable of course, given her age and the fact that she was already a World Champion, too. Also, for the general public Arakawa's win was out-of-the-blue. But the media will by hyping Yuna before the Olympics in a way that they didn't Arakawa.So, it's a safe bet that more Americans will know who Yuna in the days leading up to the event than Arakawa.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Heh, it is rather uncanny. I wish I had the link, but I recently read anInternet article about Sasha Hughes accompanied by a picture of EMILY. It was driving me mad.

Sasha Hughes? :scratch:

I think we know what they're thinking about!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know for someone who is unknown to the media because of her race ( :sheesh: ), Kristi Yamaguchi sure does a lot of top brand commercials... they just showed a TurboTax commercial with her in it

Layfan

Record Breaker
you know for someone who is unknown to the media because of her race ( :sheesh: ), Kristi Yamaguchi sure does a lot of top brand commercials... they just showed a TurboTax commercial with her in it

Must be because TurboTax got her mixed up with Michelle Kwan.;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
After watching SP's again this afternoon on NBC I am convinced Mirai deserved 1st - and by more than a couple of points.

I hope she can do it again tonight and earn a place on the Olympic team

Go Mirai ....... let the future begin tonight :rock: :rock: :rock:

After watching SP's again this afternoon on NBC I am convinced Mirai deserved 1st - and by more than a couple of points.

I agree. Scott said without hesitation that Sasha's 3Lz was short of rotation, and Sasdra added, and two-footed. That was more clear the second time around.

Dick Button, on the other hand, said he hopes Sasha makes the Olympic team rather than one of the teenyboppers.

Edited to add: Oops, I mean "Sandra." Another one of those Freudian slips. :)

Moxie

On the Ice
Dick Button, on the other hand, said he hopes Sasha makes the Olympic team rather than one of the teenyboppers.

I adore Sasha and would love to see her in Vancouver, but what a thing to say! :banging:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Not cool, Dick Button. Plus Rachael, Mirai, and Ashley are hardly "teenyboppers", they are in their late teens and are mature, responsible, and honorable girls :agree:. Calling them "teenyboppers" is a bit disrespectful and rude, IMO :scowl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Not cool, Dick Button. Plus Rachael, Mirai, and Ashley are hardly "teenyboppers", they are in their late teens and are mature, responsible, and honorable girls :agree:. Calling them "teenyboppers" is a bit disrespectful and rude, IMO :scowl:
They are all in their teens and are rising above the rest and obtain inspiration to their peers and competitors. I think Teeny-boppers fits and is very respectful. Terms can be very relative, I think the term that he used was different. I am not trying to say you are wrong, rather it is easy to have a different interpretation of what he said.

cornell08

Final Flight
Mirai just gave the most frank (hah), hilarious, and entertaining answers in her press conference. She's so candid! I especially enjoyed the "I'm most looking forward to getting alot of free shwag cuz asians like getting free stuff" line lol. And the "we're gonna blow the competition away *bang bang bang gun handmovement*" LOL she had johnny have more in common that I'd thought...and I love it.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think it is because of her winning Dancing With the Stars.

I know! I was being ironic. It was directed at that poster who kept insisting that Michelle and Kristi weren't American Sweethearts because no one can tell them apart because Americans are a bunch of racists, or something to that effect.