Is Ashley the one? | Golden Skate

Is Ashley the one?

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Since Rachael and Mirai got their own "Is she the one" thread, I though it be only fair that Ashley has one, too. After all, she's the only American lady who's definitely going to the Grand Prix final. And I just like her. Yes, she has some work to do but I think she has a lot of potential and she's still young.

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
She is for me :love: ! She's not *definitely* in the final just yet; Alissa or Caroline could kick her out (see the 'which Ladies are in the GP Final' thread). But if she makes the final and skate well there she could really make the statement she's the one!!!

I think she's pretty close to the complete package; good spins, good speed, nice interpretation, her jumps, when she's on can be pretty impressive; she has some consistency issues... She was unable to deal with the pressure of being first at NHK, hopefully she learned from that. I thought she was a little undermarked in the SP at both RC and NHK; so I hope that, if she makes the final; she'll skate a clean short and break her PB!

My hopes for Ashley are: make the Olympic team; keep improving; and don't retire after this season (I know she wants to go to college; but take it from someone who knows; college is still a lot of fun when you're 22!!!).

When I started this series :biggrin:, by "the one" I meant the leading contender for the U.S. championship. Ashley was the early leader, doing well in her two grand prix appearances and securing a position in the final. Now Rachael has caught up, in my humble opinion, based on her LP at Skate America.

If Ashley can make the most of her opportunity at the GP final she can vault into the lead again. :rock:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
When I started this series :biggrin:, by "the one" I mean the leading contender for the U.S. championship. Ashley was the early leader, doing well in her two grand prix appearanes and securing a position in the final. Now Rachael has caught up, in my humble opinion, based on her LP at Skate America.

If Ashley can make the most of her opportunity at the GP final she can vault into the lead again. :rock:

I agree with you....sort of.. Others might feel a strong showing by Mirai, Caroline or Alissa at SC this weekend will also greatly enhance their chances.

And what about a couple of the new young one's making an impact at Natls. Of course they won't be eligible for the Olympic or National team, but just two years ago a 14 year old Mirai won the Natl championship.

I really don't see Ashley or Rachael having much of an advantage. A bad SP at Natls could take either one of them out of the picture.

I mentioned earlier that Rachael has not been a particulalry good SP skater in either of this season's GP's, she had trouble at 4CC last year and made mistakes in her SP at Worlds too.

Just not my idea of "Miss Consistency" yet. Perhaps the bar is so low for USA Ladies right now that two good programs at the same event is not necessary to be considered consistent.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Ashley, not Ashely, has some good qualities. If she makes the Final, she can make a powerful statement. We'll see.

Sk8tr321

Rinkside
I think Ashley has been slowley but steadily improving. Aslo she used to be a head case at competitions and seems to have a much better head lately. She did get an edge mark at both GP events. In fact it appears that Rachael Flatt and Alexa Gilles are the ony US skaters without edge problems. Everyone else has the dreaded 'e' or '!' on the Lz of F

If Ashley can get the edge on her Lz I think she is a strong contender. She got + GOEs on most of her other elements.

I think her choreography, performance, and interpretation are better thatn they give her credit for. When I watch her, she is right with the music and her program flows better than most of the rest.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, is she?

We'll see what she is made of at the GPF. The past two Americans to make it (Alyssa, Kimmie) placed dead last.

She's not exactly Miss Consistency after all...she's almost as iffy as Alyssa in that you don't know which Wagner will show up. But a good showing (i.e. not last) from her will help her Oly chances if she can back it up at Nats.

I love Ashley's energy. I expect her to get to Vancouver. She doesn't seem like The One to me, though - more like one who could consistently contend for the podium. I think she could win a lot of medals over the next few years if she puts off college. Not so sure about stardom and Golds.

I think I'm in a minority on this, but her FP this season is dimming my enthusiasm. The music is trite and it is so freakin' fussy - it's the epitome of a CoP program IMO. The transitions are sprouting transitions. That's gotta take away from her line and interpretation, and makes it hard to notice a climax in the program. I'm sure it's a great learning experience for her and obviously she's racking up the points with it :rock:, but I don't like it. I wish she had a more appealing FP.

Then again, maybe she'll be like Mao and fight to conquer the d*** thing by Jan. - Feb.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I love her programs and style! She has among the most beautiful programs! A whole package!! hope she gets better PCS that she deserves.

She really is adorable. What a well-brought-up young woman - so pleasant and friendly. Let's hear it for army brats! :thumbsup:

Plus, I love her eyebrows. :biggrin:

Sk8tr321

Rinkside
Yea, Ashley is in GP finals for sure! It is a tough field she is up against.

Let's here it for the dark horse with only one page of is she the one!

Trewyn

Medalist
Yay Ashley!!! I hope she medals at the GP.. Tough call; but not impossible; all the Ladies she's up against have faltered at least once before this season. Only thing is their scoring potential is higher than Ashley's... Maybe she'll get higher PCS now that she's *in* the final? I thought her SP has been judged pretty harshly so far this season. It's a lovely program; she should be able to score at least 60 with it!! I hope she skates to new PB's in the Final, regardless of the placement.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
We'll see what she is made of at the GPF. The past two Americans to make it (Alyssa, Kimmie) placed dead last.

Alissa was last in 2005. No U.S. ladies made the Final in 2006 and 2008. In 2007, Kimmie was last, but another U.S. skater finished 4th.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^^ Caroline Zhang I think. Though it's hard to believe...

That's right...I just checked. Wow.

I do hope KM returns strong but that's another thread for another year.

ETA: Also, I hope Wagner can break the stigma of the American skater finishing last at the GPF...looking at the field, she could do as well as 4th...I don't think she'll be able to break "The Block" that is the Worlds Podium though (Rochette/Ando/Kim)

Last edited:

Trewyn

Medalist
^^ Realistically, she won't be a factor for the podium at the GPF; but hopefully she'll have a great showing and finish fourth. If she skates clean, she could always find herself on the podium if one of the top guns falters... Look at Alban Préaubert, to give a recent example :).

R.D.

Record Breaker
:clap: :clap: :clap: One thing for sure, she is now the only U.S. lady with an opportunity to build further momentum before Nationals.

...and lose momentum as well. I keep remembering what happened to Czisny in 2005...