How many points will be needed to win ladies' singles OGM at Vancouver? | Golden Skate

How many points will be needed to win ladies' singles OGM at Vancouver?

• 175 - 179

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180 - 185

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • 186 - 190

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 190 - 194

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • 195 - 199

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • 200 or more

Votes: 31 60.8%

• Total voters

Phoenix347

Final Flight

evangeline

Record Breaker
I don't know, but based on the 'let's over-score the winner' trend that seems to be prevalent this GP season, I'm going to guess.....quite a lot of points.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
I don't know, but based on the 'let's over-score the winner' trend that seems to be prevalent this GP season, I'm going to guess.....quite a lot of points.

Huh? What trend?

Is this going to be another good 'ol "she is overscored because my favorite skater isn't winning" whining fest? There are other threads out there just for that.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Huh? What trend?

Is this going to be another good 'ol "she is overscored because my favorite skater isn't winning" whining fest? There are other threads out there just for that.

Wow, way to jump into conclusions based on a perfectly innocuous sentence. It's sweet that you're just trying to defend your favourite skater, but seriously, is this hyper-sensitivity really necessary? Besides, the only whine fest is your post.

I was just trying to say that there appears to be some scoring inflation across the board for nearly all disciplines this season, especially for the winner. Ergo, the same scoring inflation may continue to occur at the ladies' event at the Olympics, resulting in a high number of points needed to win the gold medal.

Binthere

On the Ice
New "world records" (right) at the Olympics would be nice PR for the sport. I would say watch for the use of the "perfect 10" in PCS to potentially make some headlines. The shortcoming though is the "score board" limitation. We never get to see the individual PCS marks. I would LOVE that, but then again, I'm a scientist/numbers junkie.

The "Nadia perfect 10" effect only worked because it was a simple single number.

A problem I see though is the odds of lights out programs that truly warrant such marks at the Olympics are so tough. I think this is partly what made Sarah Hughes' performance so memorable. For the most part, the Olympic gold performances have fallen short of "world record" in my memory, though I'm probably wrong on this.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
It depends on if any of the ladies bring their "A-game" or not, but for now I'm gonna go with 190-194.

vlaurend

Final Flight
A problem I see though is the odds of lights out programs that truly warrant such marks at the Olympics are so tough. I think this is partly what made Sarah Hughes' performance so memorable. For the most part, the Olympic gold performances have fallen short of "world record" in my memory, though I'm probably wrong on this.

You are not wrong, at least when talking of the ladies. Everyone is extremely nervous, so they tend to skate a bit more conservatively. I went with 190-194 as well.