Is Alissa the One!! | Golden Skate

Is Alissa the One!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Hey, we can't leave Alissa out of the fun just because she is a few years older than the others. She is still much younger than Plushy and much prettier imho. ;)

Alissa has very strong artisitic qualities and I'm wondering if this will be the year she can put two clean, beautiful programs together. I know it means nothing to go to those Euro B events and win the Gold medal because there is no real competition :p

The question is can Alissa be a factor and do it this year at Nationals? If so will she finaly be able to do it on the World stage?

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Alissa

I agree; I would love to see her step up this year; she is just the most elegant skater.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I just don't think she can.

janetfan

Match Penalty

I can see your pov Dee but a few have noted, there is a beauty and maturity to Alissa's skating we don't see in the younger USA Ladies.

Was wondering if mathman or gkelly could come up with a jump layout that could help Alissa? Of course, to ask that suggests that her coaches and Brian B are not doing their jobs very well. :eek:

Mao and Yuna appear to be cutting out or limiting certain pesky jumps.
The problem with Alissa seems to be that she is more versatile than those girls and falls on her jumps equally and without prejudice ;)

Any ideas appreciated and let's help FREE Alissa :rock:

Last edited:
I'm afraid I agree with Dee. With Alissa, I just watch for the beauty and forget about the results. I'm very glad she's there and competing, and she's done some absolutely exquisite things, but I don't really expect her to medal.

(Nonetheless (speaking out of the other side of my mouth), I predict she'll medal at SC. I figure, law of averages, she's got to hit those jumps and make the podium some time!)

Johar

Medalist
No! I like her and her skating, but have no expectations for her. Her season high is well below that of others. It's like the BeBe Liang fans that come out every season and say, "I just know this is going to be her breakout season!"

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

I'm afraid I agree with Dee. With Alissa, I just watch for the beauty and forget about the results. I'm very glad she's there and competing, and she's done some absolutely exquisite things, but I don't really expect her to medal.

(Nonetheless (speaking out of the other side of my mouth), I predict she'll medal at SC. I figure, law of averages, she's got to hit those jumps and make the podium some time!)

What Dee & Spun said... the fact that Alissa won Nationals says more about the US Ladies than about the overall quality of Alissa's skating...She's a beautiful skater but her ability to deliver under pressure, when it counts...let's just say she's not a bookie's best friend in Las Vegas... But I do love to watch her spin...

I suppose the nay-sayers have a better chance of being right in Alissa's case, but I always have hopes for her. There are skaters who, when they're on, just show how skating could look if everyone did it right, and she's one of them. When I watch her, she shows me what the music looks like. It's not just that she's so radiantly pretty--the number of good-looking ladies is high in skating--but that her skating is radiantly lovely. She glides into and out of moves, and her spins and spirals are what spins and spirals should be. This is not someone who seems to be counting under her breath to make sure a spin fulfills a checklist of demands. For those few minutes, she's living through the music. That's not something you see all over the place.

As with most fans, I love two kinds of skaters. I have a place forever in my heart for some of the sport's biggest winners--Kwan, Browning, Yagudin, and so on. I also have loved, through my career as a fan, a few skaters who almost never win anything--but I'm happy every time they step onto the ice anyway. Alissa is one. And you never know! Paul Wylie was also such a skater for years, and suddenly in Albertville he caught fire and illuminated the entire Games. Of course I'd prefer that outcome for Alissa, but deep down, I like any outcome where she just gets a chance to skate. It's never a loss to watch her.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I suppose the nay-sayers have a better chance of being right in Alissa's case, but I always have hopes for her. There are skaters who, when they're on, just show how skating could look if everyone did it right, and she's one of them. When I watch her, she shows me what the music looks like. It's not just that she's so radiantly pretty--the number of good-looking ladies is high in skating--but that her skating is radiantly lovely. She glides into and out of moves, and her spins and spirals are what spins and spirals should be. This is not someone who seems to be counting under her breath to make sure a spin fulfills a checklist of demands. For those few minutes, she's living through the music. That's not something you see all over the place.

As with most fans, I love two kinds of skaters. I have a place forever in my heart for some of the sport's biggest winners--Kwan, Browning, Yagudin, and so on. I also have loved, through my career as a fan, a few skaters who almost never win anything--but I'm happy every time they step onto the ice anyway. Alissa is one. And you never know! Paul Wylie was also such a skater for years, and suddenly in Albertville he caught fire and illuminated the entire Games. Of course I'd prefer that outcome for Alissa, but deep down, I like any outcome where she just gets a chance to skate. It's never a loss to watch her.

:bow::bow: Well said...and very true. I'm like that about BeBe... and its good to be reminded of this part of skating, so thank you.

I also need to add that I was like that about DivaKwara & Miki (and Kwan, Browing, and Slute at the Olympics...) and we see how that worked out... you just never know the result until the last note of the music, do you?

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I was enjoying her skate from the cup of russia a few week ago. She was fighting to make sure she landed her jumps even though some of them were underotated. She mentally kept it together, which was great to see except on the 1st triple flip in the program. In the past I think she might have let her nerves get to her more after making a mistake than they did in Moscow. I also think that she is mentally preparing herself much better for the fight this season.

The only thing I might dream for her to do is to skate to Sabrina again at the Olympic games. I think that is fantasy though more than likely.

plushyta

On the Ice
Hey, we can't leave Alissa out of the fun just because she is a few years older than the others. She is still much younger than Plushy and much prettier imho. ;)...
What does she have to Plushy? :confused:

P.S... of course it is prettier than him, as a woman :p ... he is like a man - quite OK :thumbsup: :love:

i love to skate

Medalist
Sigh....please don't make this thread about Plushenko (and his mullet). He already has his own massive one about these - and other - issues!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Alissa just might pull it together this year, get gold or silver at nationals and go to the Olympics! She is very driven and waiting around 4 more years to try and go to the Olympics then is probably not on her list of things she wants to do. With no frontrunner in US ladies singles, this is her big break. She's been working on her nerves and seems to be more consistent than she used to and also looks stronger than she used to. Idk if she'll medal in Canada this weekend but I really have a feeling in my gut that she WILL make it to the Olympics :yes: . I bet it will be her and Rachael that go. She's ready for it now :clap:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:... you just never know the result until the last note of the music, do you?
When Alexei skated his long program in Salt Lake, I don't think I breathed until he took his final pose. As you say KW, you just never know.

janetfan

Match Penalty
When Alexei skated his long program in Salt Lake, I don't think I breathed until he took his final pose. As you say KW, you just never know.

Oh for pete's sake Dee. You call watching Yagudin nerve wracking? ;)

Haven't you followed Alissa's career? Ok, I admit I breath, but watching her is like walking through a minefield :biggrin: It is truly nerve wracking.
Of course, it could be worse - imagine being a Tomas Verner fan :cool::p

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Oh for pete's sake Dee. You call watching Yagudin nerve wracking? ;)

Haven't you followed Alissa's career? Ok, I admit I breath, but watching her is like walking through a minefield :biggrin: It is truly nerve wracking.
Of course, it could be worse - imagine being a Tomas Verner fan :cool::p

My nerves couldn't take it...