Figure Skating Popularity is Rebounding | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Popularity is Rebounding

James R

Match Penalty
Math doesn't lie. Canadian skaters are gifted in Canada. I'll be astounded if it's not Yuna for gold and Joannie for silver.

Bennett

Record Breaker
As I noted elsewhere I felt that the number of elderly ladies was noticeably large at SC. It gave me an impression that they were loyal fans for decades. I wonder if the skating popularity is growing among teens and twenties as well like it is in Korea, for example.

seniorita

Record Breaker
In 1999 Estonia joined Canada as the worst and Greece was the best. (I’m not sure how much opportunity Greece had to cheat in favor of Greek skaters, but anyway…)

1.There is such thing like greek judges in fs???LOL!
2.And they didnt cheat??:party2:

Wow, I didnt know we have a judge, even a decent one, I m so proud now, thanx for the info mm:biggrin::laugh:

Yeah and also watch the Eurovision song contest and tell me how unified and friendly Europe is when scoring
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
yeah, the unified eastern bloc vs the unified balcanian bloc vs the unified north european bloc vs the grand 4 unified countries, :rock:, lol, you made my day!

1.There is such thing like greek judges in fs???LOL!

Actualy Greece has three ISU certified judges. ISU judge Miss Anna Chatziathanassiou and International judges Mr. Slobodan Delic and Miss Anastasia Papagiannopoulou. (No relation to Papajohn Pizzas, the third largest pizza xompany in the U.S. ;) )

In 2010, at Europeans Greece will have a judge in ladies and a judge in pairs, and at worlds they will have a judge in pairs. (Go Crenshaw and Tsagris!)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Actualy Greece has three ISU certified judges. ISU judge Miss Anna Chatziathanassiou

Oh, I recognize that name. She competed at 1998 Worlds (didn't get past qual round).
Which I'm sure was a valuable experience for her as a future judge.

^ Hey, she may be the very skater that shows up in the judging statistics in Rossano's analysis from 1998. The Greek judge scored her just ever so slightly higher than the average of the panel. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Math doesn't lie. Canadian skaters are gifted in Canada. I'll be astounded if it's not Yuna for gold and Joannie for silver.

I wouldn't be astounded either ... but not for the reasons you say. Come on. Who, besides Yuna Kim, has been better than Joannie last year and this year? Miki Ando? ha. Mao Asada ... not with her recent performances . So .... who?

And I'll be astounded if any of the American/European ladies got the gold regardless where the event is held.

Snicker.

Layfan

Record Breaker
First, I do not think that the judging scandal at Salt Lake City is the primary cause of the drop in popularity of figure skating that we have seen from the mid 1990s to the present.

Not at all. In 1998 and 2002, all three U.S. ladies were Olympic medal contenders. (Okay, Nicole Bobeck ended up bombing in 98 but she still went into the competition with a buzz.) Think about it. The U.S. bronze medalist was a contender for the Olympic podium. (And in 2002, actually won gold :))

We went from that scenario to Turin, where we really only had one U.S. ladies medal contender. This year we basically have none. That astonishing slide is the real reason behind the drop in popularity of figure skating. (That and the fact that skating was just not going to keep up the popularity it had during the Tonya-Nancy era.)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm tired of the doom and gloom. An couple articles on the sport's popularity in Canada: :clap:

Figure skating getting past controversy
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/News/2009/11/18/11799971-sun.html

Finding our way back to skating - go figure
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/11/finding_our_way_back_to_skatin.html

Can you tell that to my Canadian husband? I've been trying to get him excited about the Olympics by telling him that Canada has such an awesome figure skating team for the first time in who knows how long. Doesn't work. :rolleye:
I don't think he even remembers the names of Patrick Chan and Joannie Rochette ... even though he seems to know who every other famous Canadian person is. I swear Canadians must have a list they keep in their pockets of famous Canadians. :p

seniorita

Record Breaker
Actualy Greece has three ISU certified judges. ISU judge Miss Anna Chatziathanassiou and International judges Mr. Slobodan Delic and Miss Anastasia Papagiannopoulou. (No relation to Papajohn Pizzas, the third largest pizza xompany in the U.S. ;) )

In 2010, at Europeans Greece will have a judge in ladies and a judge in pairs, and at worlds they will have a judge in pairs. (Go Crenshaw and Tsagris!)

No Greek judge in Mens?Sigh...Maybe I should fill the post?So as to have the biggest biased judging from a greek ever?:biggrin:
Three is better than one! I had no idea!Thanx Mm for info as always. :)