• Poll closed .

cornell08

Final Flight
Man...the tie of the season. I love both, and I seriously can't decide :love:

Hopefully you guys can though!

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm actually kind of surprised...thought it might be more even. I pretty much agree with you, although I do think that Indian dancing is harder to pull off than Spanish in terms of the minute neck, hand, arm, leg movements that can look very off if not done right. I think their Indian dance teacher did a great job because they look as authentic as could be expected from a western ice dance team. Maybe there's less flash or high-risk elements but the choreography seems to always be in motion (even if its not a sweeping motion) so I think thats where the difficulty lies.
I do love Virtue/Moir's FD though...as a program, more so than D/W but its incredibly close. My only worry is that Tessa's dress might be too long-- don't judges need to see her footwork and lines? I feel like sometimes the long skirt gets in the way (although I feel like in other sections of the choreography, it absolutely makes for a better effect).

cornell08

Final Flight
I agree that its easier to fool judges with the Indian dance...however, I also think its harder to do an Indian dance-- Bollywood or not-- to the level that Davis and White have done. There's just so much going on simultaneously-- "ok, arms go here, ankles do this, neck does that..." I'm not saying its easy to do a flamenco...just saying that its more oomph and flair, and less multitasking. Watch them side by side...Tessa's got alot less to keep track of than Meryl. However, I have to hand it to Tessa and Scott for doing a fantastic job to a piece of music where if you miss a beat, you're dead. Its like ...clap clap clap HIT THIS POSITION....da da da HIT THAT POSITION. They kept up with the music incredibly well and even her swishing of the skirt was in rhythm with the beats.

Enthusiast

On the Ice
I agree that its easier to fool judges with the Indian dance...however, I also think its harder to do an Indian dance-- Bollywood or not-- to the level that Davis and White have done. There's just so much going on simultaneously-- "ok, arms go here, ankles do this, neck does that..." I'm not saying its easy to do a flamenco...just saying that its more oomph and flair, and less multitasking. Watch them side by side...Tessa's got alot less to keep track of than Meryl. However, I have to hand it to Tessa and Scott for doing a fantastic job to a piece of music where if you miss a beat, you're dead. Its like ...clap clap clap HIT THIS POSITION....da da da HIT THAT POSITION. They kept up with the music incredibly well and even her swishing of the skirt was in rhythm with the beats.

Do you suppose Tessa and Scott's OD is a tad too 'glide-y'? Personally I like it that way, it's ice skating not tap dance. But When Tessa mentioned the flamenco being really steppy i imagined a lot of foot stomping, packed with toe pick action..

cornell08

Final Flight
On the ice, their costumes look a bit colorless and drab (though in close ups you can appreciate Meryl's pretty wine red velvet dress). Its sort of like Gordeeva/Grinkov's moonlight costumes...many people thought they were black but actually they were a midnight blue velvet that looked gorgeous in a closer view. I thought it had too much of a religious undertone (what with the priestly collars) for a program that was meant to highlight the journey of a man and woman in love. Actually, I feel like that look would be perfect for B/A's ave maria! I'm so not digging their black/white ensemble (a bit too obvious, literal and not really ethereal).

Unsurprisingly, Meryl's Christine dress looks awfully similar (in design) to Madison Chock's.

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
Do you suppose Tessa and Scott's OD is a tad too 'glide-y'? Personally I like it that way, it's ice skating not tap dance. But When Tessa mentioned the flamenco being really steppy i imagined a lot of foot stomping, packed with toe pick action..

I like it, but I also think the held position/gliding moments are sort of a break where they can regain their footing and catch their breath (so not quite as difficult). But I love the effect, and I think its turned into one of the highlights of their freedance now.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not in love with D/W 's OD. I think the costuming is lovely, but as far as the dance music goes, it's NOT Indian folk dance music, it's Indian pop music. The dance moves are far from being called Indian folk dance. Seriously, watching them do this routine is akin to seeing someone dancing Mexican folklorico to Ricky Martin and calling it folk. The music is too pop and the edit is extremely choppy. The first song cuts off right before the chorus and kind of leaves me feeling annoyed. I like the Indian theme, BUT they really need to slap their Indian choreographer for not getting them a more suitable piece of music from the really rich repetoire of actual Indian classical and folk music. Also they deserved moves that are more authentic Indian folk dance (again a very rich repetoire) and not just a westernized, cartoonish version of Bollywood. I love this team very much, and am rooting for their success, but their original dance left me feeling empty and cheated. I give my vote to V/M.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
back on topic about the OD......
D/W's has special moments in the choreo-arm-ography and interesting gestures. Very Indian. She especially has the perfect exotic look for this role. However I don't see how Indian dancing is harder than flamenco at all. If true that D/W's OD is not really authentic Indian folk but rather bollywood inspired, then the judges obviously didn't pick up on this given their very high marks. Flamenco, however, IMO, is authentic or not. More black and white than the obscure dances unique to the judges eyes, eg. Indian, Cuban, Brazilian.............

With V'M's flamenco they don't quite have the flamenco look yet, maybe its the characterization or Tessa's expression, I don't know, but I think, IMO the judges can see if their interpretation is of a real flamenco or just another Spanish dance. Which, unlike the Indian OD, is harder to fool the judges.

Now about the skating: Meryl Davis has really taken in all the feedback , hasn't she. Their leg lines look much better as well as in the CD which is a bit of a surprise. Their OD this year is not only better but better skated and performed than Happy Feet, which IMO, was quite bad throughout all last season. H/e, she must straighten herself in those step sequences. And I wish they would skate more as one. Poor Charlie is sometimes left running after Meryl, and she just keeps going. lol. Love the attitude! But their OD makes me smile.

So I'll vote for V/M. Since I enjoy them a lot more.

Err - Charlie running after Meryl is deliberate - most of the time he hesitates or sometimes even pushes her ahead of him so he can dash across the ice with great speed - it's called choreography. They have a totally different style from V&M, who are far more conventional in their dances. The only problem I have with V&M's flamenco is that although it is well skated, its not exceptional or memorable from any other flamencos. It certainly cannot compare to Anissina & Peizerat or even Pechalat & Bourzat. And I can appreciate those who truly know Indian dancing that D&W's version may not be as authentic as they would like, but it's not something most of the skating world has seen - so it is original and different.