Practice Reports, Trip Reports, Com Reports, Articles | Golden Skate

Practice Reports, Trip Reports, Com Reports, Articles

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Are you at Skate Canada? Tell us about it :bow::bow:

What have you seen? We all want to know!!

What a lovely description of both Suzuki and Rochette in that article. If everyone skates well, it should be some impressive competition!

By the way, I just love Akiko's costume. That little schoolgirl shirt over her dress--it's not unglamorous, it's anti-glamorous. She looks as if she just picked up a shirt to throw over her outfit because she was cold. After all the spangles and clingies and whatnot on everyone else's attire, it's a breath of fresh air.

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Several words from a friend who watched the men's practice:

Chan looks strong, Takahashi looks shaky, Abbott landed some quads and 3As...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I wonder if chan regrets talking big in the early summer about having a quad in Vancouver. With this injury I seriously doubt that he will even be training them come february. After all, like he said he won't need it to win. He will need all his triple Axels however, and that is what he will have to focus on.

cuttingedge

Spectator
I wonder if chan regrets talking big in the early summer about having a quad in Vancouver. With this injury I seriously doubt that he will even be training them come february. After all, like he said he won't need it to win. He will need all his triple Axels however, and that is what he will have to focus on.

Well, he's apparently back to 100% and in an interview with CBC about a month ago, he stated that his plan is to keep training it and leave it in the program, despite the injury setback:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2009/10/17/patrickchan-talkscbc.html

btw, here's a clip of him landing his quad in warm-up at Liberty (he fell on it in the competition though):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wru0zU20ZwE

What a lovely description of both Suzuki and Rochette in that article. If everyone skates well, it should be some impressive competition!

By the way, I just love Akiko's costume. That little schoolgirl shirt over her dress--it's not unglamorous, it's anti-glamorous. She looks as if she just picked up a shirt to throw over her outfit because she was cold. After all the spangles and clingies and whatnot on everyone else's attire, it's a breath of fresh air.
ITA about Akiko's costume.

Go, Patrick and Daisuke!!! How about a tie for gold? :rock: :rock: And go, Donner and Blitzen... oops, I mean Joannie, Alissa, Akiko and Caroline!

I have too many reindeer in this fight. :p

ITA about Akiko's costume.

Go, Patrick and Daisuke!!! How about a tie for gold? :rock: :rock: And go, Donner and Blitzen... oops, I mean Joannie, Alissa, Akiko and Caroline!

I have too many reindeer in this fight. :p

>giggle<

I'm with you, Silver. I want 'em all to wow us--Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, the whole bunch. How wide do they make podiums? Can they all fit on the top step?

At least I hope they all do spectacular skates...for their own satisfaction as well as ours.

Trewyn

Medalist
There's a Dutch article in one of the main Belgian newspapers stating Kevin is doing really well and has returned to his Pirates of the Caribbean program! Yay! He is coached by Yuri Bureiko.. Did we know that already? Anyway, GO KEVIN!!! I really hope he medals here. That would be such a major upset! *waves the Belgian flag*

mishieru07

On the Ice

Hmm we don't know. Chan has landed quads, see Liberty warm up. It's a definite posibility that he might land one in Vancouver. We'll see later in the Men's FS.

I do think he needs a quad to win though ... don't forget there's the consistent quad-king Plushy, who could pwn everyone in terms of TES jumps wise. Maybe 3As can get him to the podium, but I don't see him winning without a quad.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Hmm we don't know. Chan has landed quads, see Liberty warm up. It's a definite posibility that he might land one in Vancouver. We'll see later in the Men's FS.

I do think he needs a quad to win though ... don't forget there's the consistent quad-king Plushy, who could pwn everyone in terms of TES jumps wise. Maybe 3As can get him to the podium, but I don't see him winning without a quad.

I feel that Dai and Chan may do better without a quad. Even if they land them in practices, doing it in the comp can be too risky. As a side not, Nobu who's not here may also do fine without a quad, but his consistency may be better than those two skaters and may be too good not to try at the Olympics.

ETA: Dai and Akiko seem to be struggling with the smaller rink size.

Last edited:

sadalou

Rinkside
I've read in an article that Chan won't try his quad this weekeend cause he didn't have much time to practise it in the last weeks due to his injury. He concentrated his effort on his 3A's.

i love to skate

Medalist
Yes it will.:thumbsup::yes::yes:

Im really disappointed with the choice of venue, are there any rinks available in Canada that are NOT NHL sized?

Why are you diappointed? It's a nice arena. All the hockey leagues play on NHL regulated ice. There are plenty of rinks that have Olympic sized ice but they do not have the seating capacity to hold a major competition. Why would we have a huge arena with Olympic ice when it would never get used? :scratch:

Enthusiast

On the Ice
Why are you diappointed? It's a nice arena. All the hockey leagues play on NHL regulated ice. There are plenty of rinks that have Olympic sized ice but they do not have the seating capacity to hold a major competition. Why would we have a huge arena with Olympic ice when it would never get used? :scratch:

Because it is a disadvantage for speedier skaters like S/S, P/T, Kim...

I guess NHL sized rinks bring in the $$$ but it only seems fair for everyone to have the standard Olympic sized, especially since most teams do train on larger ice surfaces..and since they are preparing for Vancouver they must as well get used to skating on standard size rinks.

eta: there were complaints from 4cc last yr about the rink at GM place being too small which threw off Z/Z in both programs. P/T had a similar complaint.

i love to skate

Medalist
Because they had one at Calgary and will have one at Vancouver, I presume.

Yes but they aren't going to transform every arena into Olympic size for every single competition. It's exactly the reason why 4CC last year was on NHL sized ice - the cost was far too much to make it Olympic sized for only a couple days. Remember - these rinks are home to Major Junior hockey teams.

Because it is a disadvantage for speedier skaters like S/S, P/T, Kim...

I guess NHL sized rinks bring in the $$$ but it only seems fair for everyone to have the standard Olympic sized, especially since most teams do train on larger ice surfaces..and since they are preparing for Vancouver they must as well get used to skating on standard size rinks.

But if they already do train on larger ice surfaces why do they need to get used to skating on larger rinks? It's only one competition...I'm sure they will be fine. It all comes down to money - many of the rinks don't have the capacity to be turned into Olympic size anyways.