Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Practice Reports, Trip Reports, Com Reports, Articles

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HCOSurfer View Post
    Maybe the smaller rink size will make Caroline seem faster
    Yes it will.

Im really disappointed with the choice of venue, are there any rinks available in Canada that are NOT NHL sized?

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Yes it will.

Im really disappointed with the choice of venue, are there any rinks available in Canada that are NOT NHL sized?
    Why are you diappointed? It's a nice arena. All the hockey leagues play on NHL regulated ice. There are plenty of rinks that have Olympic sized ice but they do not have the seating capacity to hold a major competition. Why would we have a huge arena with Olympic ice when it would never get used?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Because they had one at Calgary and will have one at Vancouver, I presume.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Why are you diappointed? It's a nice arena. All the hockey leagues play on NHL regulated ice. There are plenty of rinks that have Olympic sized ice but they do not have the seating capacity to hold a major competition. Why would we have a huge arena with Olympic ice when it would never get used?
    Because it is a disadvantage for speedier skaters like S/S, P/T, Kim...

I guess NHL sized rinks bring in the $$$ but it only seems fair for everyone to have the standard Olympic sized, especially since most teams do train on larger ice surfaces..and since they are preparing for Vancouver they must as well get used to skating on standard size rinks.

eta: there were complaints from 4cc last yr about the rink at GM place being too small which threw off Z/Z in both programs. P/T had a similar complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Because they had one at Calgary and will have one at Vancouver, I presume.
    Yes but they aren't going to transform every arena into Olympic size for every single competition. It's exactly the reason why 4CC last year was on NHL sized ice - the cost was far too much to make it Olympic sized for only a couple days. Remember - these rinks are home to Major Junior hockey teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    Because it is a disadvantage for speedier skaters like S/S, P/T, Kim...

I guess NHL sized rinks bring in the $$$ but it only seems fair for everyone to have the standard Olympic sized, especially since most teams do train on larger ice surfaces..and since they are preparing for Vancouver they must as well get used to skating on standard size rinks.
    But if they already do train on larger ice surfaces why do they need to get used to skating on larger rinks? It's only one competition...I'm sure they will be fine. It all comes down to money - many of the rinks don't have the capacity to be turned into Olympic size anyways.

Custom Title
    As far back as 1993 I think Katia Gordeeva ran into the boards slightly after a throw at Skate Canada. She explained in her book that the rink was somewhat smaller than they were used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2