Patrick Chan News | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan News

Medusa

Record Breaker
sigh....

Has he learned nothing?
Maybe I am too tired, worked the whole night on ICU, nearly 5 a.m. now here - but he didn't really say anything offensive, did he? And about the Quad - we'll see if it will be needed or not at the Olympics. He is entitled to his opinion. As long as he doesn't attack other skaters personally, I am okay with it.

Those childhood photos are too cute, by the way.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Offensive? No, I don't think he said anything offensive. Silly, unnecessary and uninsightful? Well, yeah. Truthfully, I dislike his comments here more than his comments last year, even with the personal attack.

i love to skate, no that's no different (In fact, Kim's comments are worse). That said, I wasn't aware of them and would like to see them sourced before I believe them, with all due respect (I thought it was Orser that said that, which bugs me less).

i love to skate

Medalist
Offensive? No, I don't think he said anything offensive. Silly, unnecessary and uninsightful? Well, yeah. Truthfully, I dislike his comments here more than his comments last year, even with the personal attack.

i love to skate, no that's no different (In fact, Kim's comments are worse). That said, I wasn't aware of them and would like to see them sourced before I believe them, with all due respect (I thought it was Orser that said that, which bugs me less).

When asked if anyone could beat her, Kim said, "I don't know. I don't know."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olym...ting/2009-11-14-skate-america-women-men_N.htm

Orser did say that she was unbeatable as well. IMO, that is a very bad thing for a coach to say.

ETA: I don't want this thread to head off topic so I'll bring the discussion back to Patrick. He was just expressing his opinion which he is free to do and he did have nice things to say about Plushenko.

Last edited:

plushyta

On the Ice
This kid always speaks so much? :unsure:

It was silly. I think it was disrespectful on his part.
... and I think same ... for Chan :p

If only "Chan's presentation" - the only one way of presentation's? :scratch:

P.S: if there is some medals for propaganda, Kurt and Chan were already deserved :laugh:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, no that doesn't bug me. Firstly, the entire quote is this...

"I don't know. I don't know. So far my conditioning is very great. I don't know about the other skaters. I don't think the other skaters are not ready for the season. I think they feel a lot of pressure because it's early in the season."

1. She does not say that the other skaters aren't ready. Unfortunately, double negatives make it hard to parse, but if you change "not ready" to "unprepared" it reads: "I don't think the other skaters are unprepared for this season.

2. She then goes to add on a corollary when she points out it's early in this season (ie, programs still being fine tuned, etc). Hell, her own words after the short were "I was so nervous" and Orser responded "I know you were." For whatever reason, she was nervous and she knows about pressure.

3. Thirdly, and most importantly, she'd said this after posting three world records (two at TEB, one at Skate America). To me, this is the most important thing. She said it on the ice. It bugged me with Joubert because Joubert simply didn't leave it on the ice. It bugs me about Chan now because he's saying things like "But I think, slowly, judges will realize that it's still pretty early in the season, and come the Olympics, it will be different." What will be different?

4. I don't know what one says when asked directly "Can you be beaten?" Kim's answer strikes me as fine. And I tend to give more leeway to anyone who's English is their second+ language.

5. I'm not questioning Chan's right to say what he wants. However, that won't stop me from questioning or challenging what he does say. I say this as a fan who would like nothing more than to see him on top of the podium*

*well, or Takahashi.

i love to skate

Medalist
What exactly bothered you about his comments then? He said it was disrespectful for Plushenko to do the one finger pointing (many people would agree with that) but he also said he could understand why you would get carried away and do that. He also said that he welcomes him back and is glad that he is healthy.

His comment about the judges and it being early in the season? Perhaps it is because it was Plushenko's first competition back to the ice and he was given a lot of respect. By the time the Olympics come around the judges will have seen more intricate and polished programs.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thanks for the link! One thing I am certain. That is Chan is a front runner.

Thank you for those useful links, jettasian. I read the 2nd article and wanted to quote and comment first, but then I decided to leave it to Plushy's fans. It's all theirs.

After reading your this comment, I was a little nervous. But I didn't find anything that was as offensive as last year. He did acknowledge that it's Plushenko's hometown, people loved him. It seems reasonable to hold his finger up there.

About the quad, I laughed while I was reading the article. All I can think of is "I told ya." He won't have a quad this season, so he is trying to find some way to compensate to lacking of quad.

He has realized that having so many transitions is not necessary. So now he has reduced the transitions in his programs this year. Interesting.

bestskate8

On the Ice

oh men, whoever wrote this crap about Plushenko screwing up for Chan, I don't believe he said all this, can't believe some people have so much poison. God please don’t forget this article! Amen!:bow::bow:
login just to say it.

jettasian

Match Penalty
First of all, can people post Kim's fiasco back to her thread, not here? Thanks.

Patrick is being Patrick, he's entitled to say whatever he wants. So what, we can criticize about other skaters, but not him? Besides, I didn't see anything negatives about his comments.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think the comments are fine. We want skaters to appear human and don't like it when they give generic packaged answers - yet we get upset with any deviation from that same package.

Though when Chan says "he doesn't think Plushenko realizes there are other skaters who have evolved since the Russian took a break" - well Plushenko has said in interviews he'll consider his comeback a "success" if he medals at Olympics. So I think he is very well aware of the increased competition there. Ev

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Speaking as someone who's not a huge Patrick fan and who has criticized his comments in the past: I don't think there's anything here to be excited about. I feel he was trying to be honest and balanced, it didn't strike me as mean-spirited like some of his comments at Worlds last year. Yes, he could have skipped the talk about Plushenko's transitions, but since apparently it's now in fashion for the male skaters to discuss each others problematic areas (trying to influence the judges, guys? :p), I'll give him a pass there. BTW, I will remind everyone, and Chan himself, if by chance he's lurking here, that transitions are not the entire basis for one's score. Somehow they've become all that anyone talks about.

The quad: 1. I'll believe Patrick has a consistent quad when he starts landing the jump in competition. Johnny Weir had lovely practice quads, too, didn't he? 2. I think with such a deep and talented field, it will be necessary because it can give skaters an edge. I hope to be proven right.

OT, nice to see Kurt Browning had something nice to say about Brian Joubert. I would love for him to do choreo for Brian again, I wonder if that might happen? After all, Brian has said he does not intend to retire; he still has CoC to try and win ;).

ETA: Oh Patrick, why? I'm afraid I have to take back what I wrote, unless his comments were misrepresented. Plushenko fans, he's all yours.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
Speaking as someone who's not a huge Patrick fan and who has criticized his comments in the past: I don't think there's anything here to be excited about. I feel he was trying to be honest and balanced, it didn't strike me as mean-spirited like some of his comments at Worlds last year. Yes, he could have skipped the talk about Plushenko's transitions, but since apparently it's now in fashion for the male skaters to discuss each others problematic areas (trying to influence the judges, guys? :p), I'll give him a pass there. BTW, I will remind everyone, and Chan himself, if by chance he's lurking here, that transitions are not the entire basis for one's score. Somehow they've become all that anyone talks about.

The quad: 1. I'll believe Patrick has a consistent quad when he starts landing the jump in competition. Johnny Weir had lovely practice quads, too, didn't he? 2. I think with such a deep and talented field, it will be necessary because it can give skaters an edge. I hope to be proven right.

OT, nice to see Kurt Browning had something nice to say about Brian Joubert. I would love for him to do choreo for Brian again, I wonder if that might happen? After all, Brian has said he does not intend to retire; he still has CoC to try and win ;).

ETA: Oh Patrick, why? I'm afraid I have to take back what I wrote, unless his comments were misrepresented. Plushenko fans, he's all yours.

I don't think much of these comments either. The figure skaters (especially males) all bash each other occasionally so I guess it's normal.
What bugs me about him however is the insincerity, when after making these comments and coming off so strong, he tries to be cutesy cutesy, making faces, being supernice in front of cameras (to Joubery for example). If you make strong statements, just stand by it on all occasions.

evangeline

Record Breaker

Whoa, the comments are getting personal! What's next, jibes about Plushenko's hair? Evan's costumes?--but, oh wait, only European skaters can do wrong. Joubert's costumes, then.

Well, I guess Patrick's trying to single-handedly dispell the notion that we Canadians are the super-friendly, "grin-whilst-bearing it" sort.

But I can't help but think the Canadian media would be much less charitable if some non-Canadian skater had been saying what Patrick has been saying to the media.

SusieH

On the Ice

I'm not Plushy's fan, but ouch, just ouch. :eek:hwell: Hmm, he'd better make a strong statement by skating lights out at Skate Canada, preferably with quad(s).

Anyway, less talk, more action, please. The lad talks too much. I enjoy a lot of aspects of his skating, but everytime he opens his mouth, I'm like "what???" :scratch:

To give him the benefit of doubt, maybe the media twisted his words a bit to hype/spice up skating for the Olympics? The article posted by Buttercup gives a very different impression from the previous one, but they obviously refers to the same interview.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
To give him the benefit of doubt, maybe the media twisted his words a bit to hype/spice up skating for the Olympics? The article posted by Buttercup gives a very different impression from the previous one, but they obviously refers to the same interview.
I'm willing to let it slide if the worst of it came from the journalist's interpretation of a less extreme comment. The thing is, most of it is very much like the other articles, and there was the part about watching with Lori Nichol and laughing:
"Me and Lori, we kind of laughed after watching the program," said Chan. "We said between his first three jumps he was just doing crosscuts. He didn't even make the effort to do anything with his arms to at least somewhat make transitions."
It sounds a lot like what he said about Joubert at 2009 Worlds - something along the lines of sitting with Mike Shlipchuk (sp.?) and turning to each other and "That's it? That's his program?". So it does come across as a pattern of insulting other skaters who are certainly more accomplished than Chan.

I'm not a fan of Plushenko or his LP, but regardless, from this and past statements, I get the feeling that Chan has a very narrow interpretation of what style of skating is acceptable and what good choreo is (essentially, anything by Nichol). It would do him good to work with other people and broaden his perspective a bit.

Last edited: