Patrick Chan News | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan News

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm not Plushy's fan, but ouch, just ouch. :eek:hwell: Hmm, he'd better make a strong statement by skating lights out at Skate Canada, preferably with quad(s).

Anyway, less talk, more action, please. The lad talks too much. I enjoy a lot of aspects of his skating, but everytime he opens his mouth, I'm like "what???" :scratch:

To give him the benefit of doubt, maybe the media twisted his words a bit to hype/spice up skating for the Olympics? The article posted by Buttercup gives a very different impression from the previous one, but they obviously refers to the same interview.

Last month in an evaluation of his competitors Plushenko said "Chan has no quad."

Chan replied back "Plushenko has no transitions, his footwork is sloppy and his "finger pointing" was a very weak way to end a program."

Plushenko made his remarks FIRST and Chan responded.

I think both made accurate statements so why all the fuss?

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
I'm willing to let it slide if the worst of it came from the journalist's interpretation of a less extreme comment. The thing is, most of it is very much like the other articles, and the part about watching with Lori Nichol and laughing sounds a lot like what he said about Joubert at 2009 Worlds - something along the lines of sitting with Mike Shlipchuk (sp.?) and turning to each other and "That's it? That's his program?". So it does come across as a pattern of insulting other skaters who are certainly more accomplished than Chan. .

Well about that laughing part; as we say in Turkish, the one who laughs last, laughs best.. ;) So we'll see in the end..

jaws12345

Match Penalty
Learned what? Is it any different than Yu-Na saying she wasn't sure that anyone could beat her?

Huh? :mad:

I try not to participate in the discussions any more in these threads because of all these mindless bashings flying around about skaters.

You are so totally taking her line OUT OF CONTEXT it's not even funny. As she was asked so bluntly "can you be beaten?", she responded that she doesn't know, other skaters seem to be under a lot of pressure this time being the Olympic season, and she is in good shape now, but she doesn't know what is going to happen at each competition so she will try to do her best at every event she competes. Basically she repeated herself with this answer whenever she was asked similar questions. Before and after her short she also said she felt a lot of pressure too under high expectation and after her FS she admitted the nerves kinda gotten to her during her program.

I can see your favorite skater isn't winning and you are frustrated for that, but STOP BASHING other skaters.

I mean, this thread's topic is not even related to Kim. It is so sad to see some people attempting to take any threading opportunity to speak ill of Kim like this one does. How pathetic.

Last edited:

SusieH

On the Ice
Last month Plushenko said "Chan has no quad."
Chan replied back "Plushenko has no transitions" and his "finger pointing" was a very weak way to end a program.

Plushenko made his remarks FIRST and Chan responded.

I think both made accurate statements so why all the fuss?

I think it's a matter of degree. I actually don't remember Plushenko's words very precisely, but it's nothing like what Chan's has used, if the journalist quotes him correctly. It seems to me that Plushenko is making a statement, but Chan is attacking in a more personal way by saying he was laughing at Plushenko's performance with Lori Nichol and etc. It's simply a very disrespectful way to make a comment on your competitors, and Plushenko does deserve a lot of respect, whether one likes his style of skating or not. To speak the truth, if anyone in the skating world has the right to do that "I'm the number one" pose, it's Plushenko. He's earned the right by showing us what he can do year in, year out. Besides, I'll be very surprised if he does that ending pose in anywhere else besides Russia. As far as I can see, It was for fun.

Now I sound like a Plushy fan! I should show this post to my friend who is a genuine Plushy fan and who doesn't visit this forum at all. She should be happy. :p

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well about that laughing part; as we say in Turkish, the one who laughs last, laughs best.. ;) So we'll see in the end..

It will be interesting to see the men's competition. I don't think either Chan or Joubert had the last laugh at Worlds last season. :)

Personally, I prefer Evan's approach as when asked about his competitors he pointed out their strengths, offered praise, and said nothing about their weakness.

Evan did say he would have to be perfect to have any chance of winning a medal in Vancouver.

Evan seems to know the score - I am not so sure about the others. Their attitudes suggest that something is owed to them - that their undeniable greatness deserves to be rewarded (whether they skate well or not).

Let's watch and enjoy - and don't forget about Oda and Takahashi who are more than capable of winning a medal if the judging is not biased.

Last edited:

schiele

Final Flight
I think in the end, as so many times before, skaters with less pressure on them and lower/realistic expectations of themselves will step up on that pedestal. So I'm expecting to see some suprises, well maybe with the exception of consistency king Plushenko..
Therefore at the end of the day, all these mind games the guys seem to be playing thru the media won't matter much.. I wish instead of wasting energy on such matters, they would simply focus more on pleasing the public through their skating, ice persona, programmes, dedicated and proper galas etc.. It's the public who will make them immortal even if they don't get OGM (ex. Kwan, Candeloro etc)

i love to skate

Medalist
I mean, this thread's topic is not even related to Kim. It is so sad to see some people attempting to take any threading opportunity to speak ill of Kim like this one does. How pathetic.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Woah. Please explain how I "bashed" Kim? She did say that she did not know if anyone could beat her. All I was pointing out was that skaters make comments all the time about their competitors. I also said that I didn't want this thread to derail and I tried to get it back on track.

Who exactly is my favourite skater? It is true that I do enjoy Patrick but also like lots of other skaters. Considering Patrick hasn't even competed yet I don't really think you can say that he isn't "winning" - if it's Patrick that you are talking about.

BTW, I really could care less about Kim and I only rarely join in on the discussions about her so I don't "take any threading opportunity to speak ill of Kim".

Last edited by a moderator:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think in the end, as so many times before, skaters with less pressure on them and lower/realistic expectations of themselves will step up on that pedestal. So I'm expecting to see some suprises, well maybe with the exception of consistency king Plushenko..
Therefore at the end of the day, all these mind games the guys seem to be playing thru the media won't matter much.. I wish instead of wasting energy on such matters, they would simply focus more on pleasing the public through their skating, ice persona, programmes, dedicated and proper galas etc.. It's the public who will make them immortal even if they don't get OGM (ex. Kwan, Candeloro etc)

I saw Candeloro skate Live and what a natural entertainer he was :yes:

He is also pretty honest about Olympic judging and "deal making."

Here is what Candeloro said when asked if Olympic judging was honest and fair:

"Of course there is cheating in figure skating or the French would never win a medal."

evangeline

Record Breaker
i love to skate and Pogue, I know you are frustrated because the skaters your root for don't win, but stop taking that on Kim or her couch. You are so pathetically juvenile. Besides, this is not even Kim related thread. Take it somewhere else if you are gonna keep on doing your stupid bashing.

Wow, over-reacting much? :disapp:

calica

Final Flight
I don´t know if it is my perception or really it is like that, but whenever Chan speaks about other skaters I feel that he tries to insult them (in some cases of personal form) .
The gesture that Plushenko did in the last CoR, I don´t like to me , seemed to myself to be arrogant, but to begin to criticize his programs, it´s for me to be disrespectful. I do not like them either but I am not a skater and my declarations are not going to be published.
In addition the form in the one that does it is hurt (" Me and Lori, we kind of laughed after watching the program, " said Chan.) I am not sure but they are an agreeable interview but they leave a disagreeable sensation to me.

And I do not believe that it is the same these Chan's declarations with Plushenko's declarations on Chan's quads. The choreography can be empty or not, of a style that you like or not.
But the quad is objective. You give a jump and turn 4 times. It is not any more, and Chan does not have it.
He does it in trainings. Fantastic.
But only they score in competition. And chan does not have them (in the future probably but today not)

PS:Sorry by my english

jaws12345

Match Penalty
:laugh: Woah. Please explain how I "bashed" Kim? She did say that she did not know if anyone could beat her. All I was pointing out was that skaters make comments all the time about their competitors. I also said that I didn't want this thread to derail and I tried to get it back on track.

Who exactly is my favourite skater? It is true that I do enjoy Patrick but also like lots of other skaters. Considering Patrick hasn't even competed yet I don't really think you can say that he isn't "winning" - if it's Patrick that you are talking about.

BTW, I really could care less about Kim and I only rarely join in on the discussions about her so I don't "take any threading opportunity to speak ill of Kim".

She was asked "can you be beaten?" It's difficult not to mention of other skaters when you are asked that bluntly. Kind of rude question to begin with considering other skaters are present in the same building. And like I said, you are totally taking her line out of context.

I can't care less if you care or not care about Kim or whoever else so I don't understand why you are telling me that, but yet you brought her and her coach up in a thread that has nothing to do with her. Exactly from what interview are you quoting Orser that he said Kim is unbeatable? You said it's pretty bad for him to have said that, right? As I recall, he never said anything like that in any of his interviews. So stop making stuff up and stick to Chan in this thread.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
She was asked "can you be beaten?" It's difficult not to mention of other skaters when you are asked that bluntly. Kind of rude question to begin with considering other skaters are present in the same building. And like I said, you are totally taking her line out of context.

I can't care less if you care about Kim or whoever else so I don't understand why you are telling me that, but yet you brought her and her coach up in a thread that has nothing to do with her. Exactly from what interview are you quoting Orser that he said Kim is unbeatable? You said it's pretty bad for him to have said that, right? As I recall, he never said anything like that in any of his interviews. So stop making stuff up and stick to Chan in this thread.

I believe Orser did give an answer he would like to have back during an interview at SA.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe Orser did give an answer he would like to have back during an interview at SA.

I was thinking the same thing when he said that on the broadcast wondering if that may come back to bite them. The Olympic gold has been elusive for many great figure skating champions: Kurt Browning, Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, even Brian Orser, himself, TWICE.

In fairness to Brian though, I think his exact words were "at this time", not "at the Olympics." In a way, his comment was accurate, "at this time" before Yu-Na's LP at Skate America when the comment was made, we had seen Asada have three unfortunate outings (Japan Open, TEB, RC), Rochette one (COC), and despite Ando's victories at RC and NHK, her level of skating hasn't been stellar either.

Last edited:

jaws12345

Match Penalty

Which interview exactly?

Orser knows better than that. He understands first-handedly where overhyping a skater like that before the big event will lead to.

And please, enough about Kim and Orser.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wow! It's like that everybody is going to the last battle and the loser will die.:laugh: It's started on full force.

I am a Plushenko fan, but I am not going to defend him to say that he has a lot of transitions. He doesn't. All he has focused in the Rostelecom was his jumps, the amazing jumps, the brilliant jumps, the deserving scores, and the deserving gold medal.

I think Patrick Chan is telling the facts. The thing bugs me is that he has to open his mouth and criticize his competitors!

"I was angry because I think he disrespected a lot of other skaters, judges, even the audience, even though it's his hometown," said Chan. "I think the audience loved it. That's how the Russians like it. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll get away with it anywhere else. Definitely, he should have had a better ending position than just raising the finger up."
I have said it before and I will say it again that I think Plushenko did OK under the circumstances. Why did everybody criticize him on something in the future?! How do you know what he's going to do in Olympics?! How could you be certain that he's going to do the same in the future competitions?!

If you say that it's athletism vs. Artistry, I will say the simple logic is that may athletism prevail! We call it sport, don't we?

I just hope that Patrick Chan won't become the "Canada's Johnny Weir" off ice because that is annoying.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Which interview exactly?

Orser knows better than that. He understands first-handedly where overhyping a skater like that before the big event will lead to.

And please, enough about Kim and Orser.

It seems to be "common knowledge" ;) (sorry, that is such a lame term to use in any discussion/argument) that Orser's remarks were made during a broadcast interview with NBC at SA. Or maybe it was CBC?
Or maybe many of us just imagined Brian sort of slipped up. :)

jaws12345

Match Penalty
It seems to be "common knowledge" ;) (sorry, that is such a lame term to use in any discussion/argument) that Orser's remarks were made during a broadcast interview with NBC at SA. Or maybe it was CBC?
Or maybe many of us just imagined Brian sort of slipped up. :)

Well we wouldn't know whether Jack went to school or not either, would we.

What I remember is him always subtly denouncing such questions as being too forward. In an interview with CBC he even repeatedly said "don't say that, don't say that" to the interviewer who asked such questions, adding they wouldn't know what would happen but Kim was very nervous about her upcoming performance and it's good for her.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
What I remember is him always subtly denouncing such questions as being too forward. In one interview he even repeatedly said " Don't say that, don't say that" to the interviewer, adding we don't know what will happen but Kim is very nervous about her upcoming performance and it's good for her.

I don't see this as a big deal. Holding Orser up to be "perfect" in every interview feels as silly as expecting Yuna to be perfect everytime she competes.

There is also the tone of the comments to consider. I may be wrong, but seem to think Orser smiled , looked a little flushed and instead of giving a more pc type of answer just agreed with the question in a somewhat half-hearted manner.

But since it is an Olympic year everything tends to get magnified and even blown out of proportion.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Good grief guys relax! Can we keep off Yu Na here (IIRC that interview is real though). It's a thread on CHAN.

That boy really has NO FILTER, for good or for bad. Didn't Skate Canada give him a lesson on PR 101 and dealing with the media? (Anyway, don't we complain too often about skaters being so darn PR friendly with nothing interesting to say?)

Chan, I love your skating. But I wish you'd be a little more respectful - those comments came across as a bit arrogant imo. Let your skating do the talking; show Plushy & Joubert you can do a quad AND transitions. And then we're talking.