Poor Judgement Call | Golden Skate

Poor Judgement Call

Show, you did not post the full url. If you go back to the source where you found it, go to the site, then copy the url from your address bar, it should work.

If you copied and pasted from another forum, it didn't pick up the whole address.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Apparantly, the link doesn't contain the story any longer. The story stated that a Boston couple refused to pay the 18 per cent tipping charge because they had bad service. They were arrested and have to appear in court next month. I say, no service, no tip..............42

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi Mathman..........I tried that before I posted the link. I found the story orginally on Yahoo earlier this afternoon. Couldn't find it again, but did find it at another source...........42

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, if the menu stated that 18% tip will be added to the total - than it's like any other surcharge that needs to be paid. I have, though, seen restaurants that will add the tip without warning the customers on the menu; in the situation, IMO, it should be optional.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I feel you should get what you pay for. If you order and pay for lobster, you should get lobster. If you pay for service, then that's what you should get. According to the article, the service was bad at best. It will be interesting to see what the courts will do..............42

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Show, does it mean that you believe that if your lobster shouldn't really cost $45 but only $35 - then this is what you should pay? I'd think that would turn the whole hospitality industry upside down!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Show, does it mean that you believe that if your lobster shouldn't really cost $45 but only $35 - then this is what you should pay? I'd think that would turn the whole hospitality industry upside down!

Good point..........The menu lists what you will be getting for your meal. Lobster comes with potatoes, salad, bread, etc. You know what your $45 includes. If you don't want to pay $45 for lobster, don't order it. It doesn't say what you will get for your gratuity......the customer expects reasonable to good service. Why not include on the menus............your 18 percent gratuity includes, water glasses refilled, drinks refilled, orders taken withing ten minutes of seating, etc.............hospitality should at least include reasonable service................I don't know, maybe I'm stretching the point here, but in tough economic times, people I would think want to get what they are paying for.............42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am with Show here. I generally don't leave a tip and neither does my husband if the service is not great and the food either. On the other hand, my husband is a very generous tipper when it is warranted. I would never eat at a restaurant that added the tip to it's prices. A tip is a tip - it' s not a tip when it is added to the price of the meal. I don't blame this couple for their actions and don't the Boston Police have more serious police work to do than arrest a couple for not paying a tip? I can't believe a restaurant would go to such lengths. It did not sound like it was exactly the Waldorf Astoria....