Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sandra Bezic to call it quits

Custom Title

Sandra Bezic to call it quits

http://www3.cbc.ca/sections/newsitem_redux.asp?ID=3074

I didn't know if this was posted anywhere, but I thought I'd share it.

I don't think that quitting the sport is the correct way to go about things. What good is that going to do? Maybe she is just blowing off steam here. I enjoy her work and hope it continues.

Michelle Kwan Fan
    I agree. This is so sad. I loved her programs! :(

hey... this may be a good thing... no more Sandra Besic bias in the commentator booth... right???

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    ITA Toni. When I first heard this, I was really hoping that she wouldn't be commentating at the Olympics anymore.

Maybe with her out of the commentating booth, we won't have anymore sensationalist type commentating.

Personally, I think she is just bitter that she got replaced with a more talented choreographer (Chris Dean) on Stars on Ice.

I'm wondering if she got fired now... or if it was part of her "giving up" on skating?

Very odd article. Not a big fan of Bezic the commentator (to put it VERY mildly), though I respect Bezic the choreographer. This does not, though, appear to be an official press release or anything. Let's wait and see for any other news...

Custom Woman
    Only heard Sandra commentate twice on US TV. Once was a little pro-am thing and I thought she was very good. Then at the Olympics she turned into Commentatorzilla. But as far as her choreography is concerned, I think she has done a lot of wonderful work. My guess is that this announcement is probably related to the changes at SOI (being "let go" as artistic director), which must have been hard to take, and some psychological and emotional burnout. Sandra has been deeply involved in figure skating on many levels, including putting together one of the toughest shows in figure skating for both the US and Canada for almost 15 years, plus all the years she competed and skated professionally. I hope that all she really needs is a nice vacation in a warm climate and a break from all the politics and stuff that comes with anything, and that can wear you down especially if you have a true passion for it. Being a commentator wasn't Bezic's thing, but I do think she's a gifted choreographer and hope that someday she returns to it.
    Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 10-26-2003 at 02:14 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    I was in New Zealand during the 1998 Olympics, and the CBC feed was broadcast each night there from 10pm-midnight. Bezic was the commentator for (at least) Ice Dance. She was clearly upset at the way Bourne and Kraatz were judged at Nagano, especially during the compulsory dances.

I think that at SLC she was already priming for a fight, but this time she had the greater pulpit of an American network. I don't think she expected controversy to break over pairs; I think she was waiting for a reprise of Nagano in Dance. But she was ready.

I was lucky that in Seattle I have access to CBC on cable, and I heard Martini and Underhill's measured commentary during the Pairs competition. The only US broadcast I saw was the second-to-last Ladies LP group, in the airport lounge, waiting for a flight to Australia, and the repeat of Hughes' skate on Australian TV, which used the American feed.

Originally posted by Rgirl
    Only heard Sandra commentate twice on US TV. Once was a little pro-am thing and I thought she was very good. Then at the Olympics she turned into Commentatorzilla.
    Was Brian Boitano in the competition??? That makes all the difference in the world... She was horribly biased and insulting towards Alexi Urmanov during his first World Pro because he had been complaining about an injury for the last couple of years and she said something about how that was just a cop-out for bad skating

Brian Boitano popped his 3loop during that same competition and she immediately comes to his rescue of... "He's had back problems for the last couple of years" :rolleyes: I can't stand her.

I always enjoyed Sandra Bezik's commentary on Canadian skating broadcasts. She was the only commentator who typically gave a lot of information about music and choreography. As for SOI, Christopher Dean, blockbusting dancer and choreographer may he be, but it will be many years before he will have built up a body of work for that show that can be compared to Bezik's.

Mathman

he's actually done a lot of work already... he was behind the group number "Red Hat" which is probably the best group routine of all time IMHO

Custom Title
    Can't say I'll be too disapointed. I was never fond of Sandra Bezic as a choreographer or as a commentator, although I did like S&P's Lovin, Touchin Squeezin program from last year.
    Laura
    P.S - Toni, I really like your banner! Are those Skate America pics?

Originally posted by Lcp88

P.S - Toni, I really like your banner! Are those Skate America pics?
    Thanks! yes they are!

Custom Title
    I have been able to hear Sandra´s commentary in the men´s event in Nagano Olympics and in some pro or pro-am competitions only (Ilia participated). In my opinion she was in those an excellent commentator concerning all skaters.

As a choreographer I admired her and Michael Seibert´s SOI choreography for Katia and Ilia in "Casi Un Bolero". And of course have liked many choreographies she has done for some eligible ones also.

Marjaana
    Last edited by Jaana; 10-26-2003 at 01:05 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast