Sandra Bezic to call it quits | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sandra Bezic to call it quits

mike79

On the Ice
I will miss her choreography. She was definitely one of the best choreographers ever.

Her commentary was interesting to say the least. She was very knowledgeable about what sha would talk about, but her bias did come out a little too often, at least at SLC. Her commentary from the 1998 Olympics, however, was very good. She was working for the CBC that year, along with Paul Martini.

LarasB

Rinkside
It's strange for someone who's been in the figure skating field and has been so involved in it (though I didn't like her commentating) to all of a sudden call it quits because of a change in the points system in competition.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Rix, welcome to the forum. I also would like to know how they know if she was fired.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
LarasB said:
It's strange for someone who's been in the figure skating field and has been so involved in it (though I didn't like her commentating) to all of a sudden call it quits because of a change in the points system in competition.

Probably a case of burnout. Or she's just being a whiny baby.:D :\ :sheesh:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
btw, didn't she choreograph S&Z?

Yes, Joe. Sandra did do choreography for Shen/Zhao. She choreographed their Firebird and Palladio Alleghretto (the diamond music) SPs (2000, 2001) and their Spirit of Spring LP.

I must stand up for Sandra here because I feel she is being bashed by quite a few people in this thread. I have always been a fan of Sandra, ever since she choreographed for Brian in 88. Let's also remember she did a lot of great programs for Underhill/Martini [their winning program at 84 Worlds, On My Own, Yesterday (a tribute to Underhill's deceased infant daughter), When a Man Loves a Woman, Unchained Melody), Blumberg/Seibert (Crazy/Are You Lonesome Tonight), Kristi Yamaguchi (her Olympic programs - Blue Danube SP and Malaguena LP, Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu, Louis Armstsrong medley), Josee Chouinard (94 Olympic programs-An American in Paris, La Fille Mal Gardee), Lu Chen (96 programs-Spring Breeze SP and Rach LP, 98 Olympic programs-Adios Nonino SP and Butterfly Lovers LP, Take Five, Peel Me a Grape), and I could go on and on. Really, when you think about it, she is really choreographer who got the same kind of recognition that coaches got. She guided Stars on Ice through the Kristi years. She once said it's always hard to top yourself every year - yet she did it for 10 years. You not discount her contribution to the sport and to Stars on Ice.

This is not the first time she became disillusioned with the sport. In her book 'A Passion to Skate' she recounts how in the 70s when she sat out one year with an injury how she saw the negative side of the sport and how skaters (who were her friends) were not getting the marks they deserved. She eventually returned to the sport, working with Louis Stong and Underhill/Martini. If anything, I hope that this is temporary and we will see her again. Perhaps part of the reason she is walking away now is that she has a young son - I think he is almost 10 - and probably wants to be home with him.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are we bashing her or her "commentary style" ?

she did some fantastic work AS A CHOREOGRAPHER. I have always been impressed with her work with Kurt Browning. She has created all but one of his "signature" pieces... she's an amazing talent... however she's her own "worst enemy" as she herself is good at bashing skaters because she doesn't like them or care for their style. She made it clear that Alexi Urmanov was not a good skater in her eye... and she did it poor judgement and taste(and no I'm not particularly a fan of Urmanov, but I still don't see where she came off with some of her comments that had NOTHING to do with his skating)

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I have always been impressed with her work with Kurt Browning. She has created all but one of his "signature" pieces...
Tonichelle,

Thank you for mentioning Kurt - I knew there was someone I left out when trying to think of who she has choreographed for. My favorites of his that she did are 'Casablanca', 'Serenade for Sonia', and 'Are You Lonesome Tonight'. I had the pleasure of seeing the last 2 pieces live at SOI in Anaheim.

however she's her own "worst enemy" as she herself is good at bashing skaters because she doesn't like them or care for their style.
Although I do love Sandra (the choreographer and the commentator), I can definitely see your point on this. I do remember her commentary on Urmanov at 95 Worlds wasn't all complimentary. I also remember her saying that she wished his costume wasn't so flamboyant, because skating in the practices in just work out clothes his skating was very powerful. (BTW, he was skating to Swan Lake) I'll just say that she is (or was) very passionate about skating and called it as she saw fit. Thinking about it, it must have been a bit difficult to work with Lulu and S/Z when it came to spins. As she said at SLC, this was a weakness of the Chinese skaters. As much as I love Lulu, it pained me to see her sit spin. She didn't get down very low and she didn't spin for more than 5 revolutions or so.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

April

Rinkside
Adios

SB statements seem abrupt and angry. There's got to be more of a reason than the new CoP's. Oh, well, I think she'll be crying a river for buring her bridges, soon.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Re: Adios

April said:
SB statements seem abrupt and angry. There's got to be more of a reason than the new CoP's.
I'm not sure that she didn't feel what many posters did when CoP with secret judging was first announced: that the ISU wasn't addressing the real problem -- corrupt judges -- and was throwing perfume on rotting garbage, so to speak. She may feel that the opportunity to "fix" skating was there to be seized, but was passed by. I don't agree with that, but people do have final straws.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, as far commentating goes who could be worse than Peggy Flemming or Dick Button? Talk about biased! I don't agree Sandra's being biased - she does call "a spade a spade." She knows figure skating.

It's a shame she has to leave the choreoography end of it. She worked with Christopher Dean. I doubt she would feel bitter towards a fellow skater.

It's easy to pass judgement when we don't have all the facts.

She must have her reasons as all skaters do for wanting to move on.

Thanks Sandra for all of your wonderful work as a skater (she used to skate with her brother Val) and as a wonderful choreographer.

Ladskater said:
Actually, as far commentating goes who could be worse than Peggy Flemming or Dick Button?

Lad - I believe you mean "in my opinion" in that statement. It would be the same for me if I said Scott Hamilton could be worse.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
Sandra Bezic

If she does indeed hang it up I will miss her....I respected her as a choreographer and thought she made an excellent T.V. commentator.