Plushenko v. Abbott - Compare and Contrast | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Plushenko v. Abbott - Compare and Contrast

janetfan

Match Penalty
You make it sound like some evil conspiracy against poor Abbott. :laugh:

You mentioned artistry and musicality but there's still so many other equally important aspects to consider, and not just the required elements (which is required), but the rest of the PCs, too. Abbot still has to do spins, footwork and jumps, there's no getting around the fact that figure skating is still a sport and athleticism is still needed (no matter how much we would like/or not like to change it, it's the reality) and if he can't measure up jump-wise to the other top skaters then why should he win, only based on his "superior" artistry, over skaters that beat him on many of the other equally important points (required elements, other parts of the PCs)? And even if Abbott skates absolutely clean, there are still other top skaters with greater, better or equally good elements and program components (on some/or many of the PCs at least), so of course, he'd still have to "measure" up to the rest, if they also skate absolutely clean. Otherwise, let's just give Abbott the medals right now, because regardless of what he and the others bring to the ice, Abbott is still "superior" in every possible way -- it'll be like the Oscars -- "and the gold medal goes to Abbott, the inner artist, for showing up!". There are other great skaters, too. Let me also point out that what we saw at SC was two "almost" flawless skates and Takahashi without a quad still managed to get the higher scores (TES and PCS) and win the free program even though Abbott won overall -- so the judges do pay attention to "other" aspects of skating beside the quad (or he would've had the automatic quad bonus that everone talks about), don't ya think? I think Takahashi deserved the win in the free program and Abbot deserved the overall win, so the scores and placements were fair, imo, but I'm biased so what do I know. :)

Nice points and I only disagree because I did not say Jeremy will win or should win. I said I don't think he gets enough consideration for aspects of his skating when compared to Plushy and then i did mention Joubert.

Taka was never part of the equation so throwing him now changes the discussion.

Takahashi is a skater I like alot and thought he skated well at SC.
If he had been placed first it might not have bothered me at all because he is a very completet skater imo.

seniorita

Record Breaker
It is not easy to go out on the ice and get the people feel what you do!Put them out of their seats or travel them to dreamland! It needs a factor! You think everybody would go out and skate non sophisticated and outwards bravura style and they have the same impact as Plushenko and Joubert?They might end up looking like monkeys escaping the circus.

We can argue until 2014 if those two are just jumpers, so I ll pass. There are some skaters that you just cant skip watching. This is as much charisma as what Jeremy has. Johny is not bravura skater but he has the factor as well. You can watch him do smooth crossovers all day. Since it is a preference thread Plushenko has better posture than Abott that translates to many stuff while he skates.

No, it was just to try and make you think - and to consider that not all skaters are equal and they have various strengths which they try to present in their programs.
i thought that is what I was saying?How after two pages we agree now?:laugh:

How can anybody be afraid of Plushy. He is such cutie off ice, I m not afraid of him:p

Last edited:

Milas

Rinkside
Nice points and I only disagree because I did not say Jeremy will win or should win. I said I don't think he gets enough consideration for aspects of his skating when compared to Plushy and then i did mention Joubert..

Sorry. I get what you're saying, and you're right - he's not getting enough consideration and throwing in Takahashi was to make you see my point. :laugh:

janetfan

Match Penalty
i thought that is what I was saying?How after two pages we agree now?:laugh:

:p

Almost but no pez for you yet :biggrin:

I am not complaining about Plushy or Jouby getting big marks for their jumps. They deserve them.

I was simply pointing out that big jumps doesn't mean your choreo, transitions and interpretation are autmatically great too. And certainly not as good as Jeremy's and by a longshot imo.

I think to mark Joubert or Plushy from Rostel Cup similar to Jeremy is nonsense.

He is musical and has beautiful choreo. They are average musicality and imo limited choreo. Not such hot transitions either.

I think we could agree on this - and that I also agree Plush or Joubert will beat Jeremy.

Milas

Rinkside
It is not easy to go out on the ice and get the people feel what you do!Put them out of their seats or travel them to dreamland! It needs a factor! You think everybody would go out and skate non sophisticated and outwards bravura style and they have the same impact as Plushenko and Joubert?They might end up looking like monkeys escaping the circus.

:laugh: :laugh: Latest skating news: "The audience attacked by flying monkeys and a strange looking bird!"