Ladies Short results | Golden Skate

Ladies Short results

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladies short results are in. Basically no surprises, except for poor Volchkova in 6th. Great for all 3 American ladies!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
WOW! Jenny and Mike are certainly the surprises SO far in this competition... I didn't expect to see Jenny(or for that matter Amber) anywhere close to the top 3 in the short program!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, great results for Sasha, Jenny, and Amber........what happened to VV? 42

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I think COP happened to VV.
Man, it is frustrating trying to uderstand these marks.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I'm not too happy with teh COP too confusing(maybe that's what it's really for... to confuse the die hard fans so that we can't be sure if they're cheating or not )

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Oh my, what happened to poor Pöykiö...? She has such a great short programme (as recently seen in Finlandia Trophy). I expected to see her at least among the four best.

Marjaana

Some info about the scoring. At the top of each results box you'll see the following abbreviations for singles and pairs:
TSS = Total Segment Score (Grand Total)
TES = Total Element Score (ie, Technical Score)
TCS = Total Component Score (ie, Presentation Score)
SS TR PE CH IN T = Skating Skills, Transitions, Performance, Choreography, Interpretation

TCS (Total Component Score) is supposed to be the sum of the five criteria listed after it, but as you can see if you add up the individual component scores listed for each skater it doesn't exactly work out that way. For example, if we add up Sasha's five component scores for the SP we get the following:
------

However, the TCS listed for Sasha, which should be the sum of these five scores as explained by the ISU, is 33.96. The five component scores come out higher than the TCS for all the other skaters too, BTW. The only thing I can think of is that under Deductions 0.00 is always listed, so I'm assuming they can't show us the deductions since what they are showing us are the mean scores after the high and low scores have been thrown out.

If you want a good short article on the COP, try:
http://www.usfsa.org/news/2003-04/newjudging-summary.htm

An article on Skate America (so far) that discusses a little bit of the COP is at:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...4-3787-4771-layout46-129898-news-item,00.html

Also, if you're a member of FSU, they have a "quicky" on the COP at:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7659

I think people will get used to the COP as time goes on. It is lot of numbers compared to the 6.0 system, but I think we're seeing what many judges were basically doing in their heads or making notes on all these years with the 6.0 system. That is, thinking or noting "That 3Lutz is about a 5.6, the 3toe a 5.8, that combo spin is 5.4, final scratch is a 5.9; edges, speed, and flow 5.9; footwork 5.7, etc." for technical and same thing for presentation. Or perhaps some judges thought more in terms of overall jumps and skating skills. Anyway it all came down to the ordinal system in the end with the 6.0 system. IMO, I think the COP has taken the elements that some or perhaps many judges used in the heads or as notes to assess a skater's score or relative placement and put them into the COP.

Of course I wish we could see the breakdown for the TES too to see if there are any trends in the way a given skater's jumps are scored, for example. And of course I'd like to see breakdown of scores by identified judge (first choice) and right now I'd settle for a breakdown according to anonymous judge, just to see if there are any trends by some judges in the way they score a given element among various skaters. I know, wishful thinking. But I can dream, can't I?:p
Rgirl

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mike's comments are illuminating:

“The nice thing about the new judging system (is) you can be in 10th and still have a shot at winning the event”, Weiss explained. “With the old system, when you were in 4th or 5th place, you needed a lot of help to win the overall score. But in this new judging system, it keeps the competitive fire in the athletes.” He added that he and other skaters paid special attention to his spins and footwork to achieve a higher level and subsequently earn more points. “With the old judging system, it didn’t seem they (more difficult spins and footwork) were rewarded as much, and now they (the judges) are very specific. If you take the risk with an outside camel (spin), you are going to be rewarded. You’re going to see a lot more innovation. There is a lot more of different footwork than I’ve seen in the past.”

curious

Final Flight
corwin was overmaked indeed. A fall and a mistake on another jump how can she be third?:eek:

mike79

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
Mike's comments are illuminating:

“The nice thing about the new judging system (is) you can be in 10th and still have a shot at winning the event”, Weiss explained. “With the old system, when you were in 4th or 5th place, you needed a lot of help to win the overall score. But in this new judging system, it keeps the competitive fire in the athletes.” He added that he and other skaters paid special attention to his spins and footwork to achieve a higher level and subsequently earn more points. “With the old judging system, it didn’t seem they (more difficult spins and footwork) were rewarded as much, and now they (the judges) are very specific. If you take the risk with an outside camel (spin), you are going to be rewarded. You’re going to see a lot more innovation. There is a lot more of different footwork than I’ve seen in the past.”

I do like the fact that it makes the competition that much more wide open. If what he says is true it will be nice to see a lot of variety with footwork. Everything seems to have become too 'Morozov-ed'.