Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rachael the one?

Is Rachael the one?

So, Rachael Flatt just skated a near perfect long program at Skate.America. Seven triples, including 3F+3T combo. No deductions, no edge calls, no underrotations.

She is still a long shot to make the Grand Prix Finals, but IMHO she has established herself as the number one U.S. lady.

Custom Title
    Even though she didn't win nationals last year, I still felt she was the number one lady back then. As much as I like Alissa Czisny's vulnerable style, there was something about Rachael that spoke to me. She comes across as a true athlete. I had the pleasure of seeing her short program at worlds last year, and she was a firecracker. I predict great things for her.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    So, Rachael Flatt just skated a near perfect long program at Skate.America. Seven triples, including 3F+3T combo. No deductions, no edge calls, no underrotations.

She is still a long shot to make the Grand Prix Finals, but IMHO she has established herself as the number one U.S. lady.
    I agree. Good to see her doing the 3/3

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    No. Mirai is. (Go, Mirai - prove me right.)

Rachael is a worthy athlete and strong competitor, but not a star.

But then - maybe all the naysayers will inspire her to bust out to a new level. Go, Rachael! Good job at SA!

I think she is the closest thing the US has to a star. She sparkled on the ice in her long program. Her performance was great, she reached out to the audience, and her technique on the jumps was solid. Good for her - she seems like a great kid and a hard worker

Yes, she is the one who looks like Kevin Reynolds.

I think mathman is the one.

yeah too much sugar.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Yes, she is the one who looks like Kevin Reynolds.

But yes, if it's meant that Rachael is one of the U.S. ladies destined for the Olympic team, then I agree that she is. It is highly unlikely that she will implode at Nats. I've thought that she'll be competing in Vancouver even before her skate at SA.

Everything has just been building up so well for Rachael; she couldn't have planned it better if she tried.

Proud Sarah Hughes Fan
    IMO as of now, yes.

Medalist

Shes a bit heavy.

Maybe someone already mentioned this as I haven't had time to read all the posts but Rachael would really shine if she lost about 15or 20 lbs. Just being honest here not rude as some may interpret..

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill508 View Post
    whole post
    :sheesh: 'nuff said.

Anyway- just one performance and people are already all over Flatt as "the one"? I think it was just a really good day for her, and nothing more. I do hope she can build on it, but Nationals is going to be tough. I have a feeling that one might go to the last person standing...

Rachel has to be careful to build up to where she wants to be. it would be a shame if this turned out to be her best performance of the season (as it very well could be) and it went downhill from there. At least she will miss the GPF and has another couple of months to settle down and get ready for Nats.

Also, Ashley Wagner- I know this thread is not about her but I think it's relevant in a way. She also came out with a strong performance in the beginning. If she can get those jumps in good condition I think she could do even better than Flatt at her best. But she will likely make the GPF and it will be important for her to make a good showing there. So far those two are the front-runners but Flatt is starting to show some signs that she is not a machine like some people seem to think- a rare fall in the SP and a very average FS in her first GP event (actually forgot where it was- it's late).

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    How could I forget Ashley?? SHE'S the one! Go, Ashley!

Am I confusing? It goes like this:

1. Sasha!
    2. Ashley!
    3. Mirai!
    4. Caroline!
    5. Rachael!

I just rewatched both Rachael's FP at SA and her SP at Nationals in 2007. To my eye, there is no comparison. She had a spark and musicality and a lyricism as a 14-year-old that isn't there now. She's not that cute little firefly any more. So if she is our top scorer, that's too bad. Solid is not enough. We're in a strange plight where our ladies divide the qualities of a star skater between them and none of them has shown that she can put it all together.

Well, none but Sasha.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 11-16-2009 at 02:31 AM.

it's starting to look more and more like Ashley and Rachel are our best bets... but anything can happen that weekend in January.

Custom Title
    Do I need to revise my signature? I guess so.

Oops! It's already disappeared - It was "Gimmie Kimmie!"

I don't mean to make light of Kimmie's disappearance - it's sad.

Rachael is obviously a brilliant student-athlete and I hope she makes herself happy this season. I'm wishing Sasha will stay out of the way so that two new Olympians from the US can go to Vancouver.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 11-16-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: merging

Custom Title
    Yes, I, too, think Rachael and Ashley are the most promising twosome.
    Now if only Ashley trains herself not to UR her jumps, and Rachel for better posture, extension, and more expressive shoulders and arm movement...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast