The most over-used music for figure skating programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The most over-used music for figure skating programs

Which music has been most over-used for figure skating programs?

• Carmen

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Swan Lake

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Romeo and Juliet

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Bolero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moonlight Sonata

• Dark Eyes

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Malaguena

• Joubert has done too much Matrix music

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Sing Sing Sing

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Others

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

plushyta

On the Ice
Wow, there is such an abundance of tired old chestnuts that a brief poll can't do it justice. To expand, here is BigSis' list of prohibitions for future skating music selections:

No skater in any discipline shall use the following for SP or FS:
Carmen
Tosca
Nutcracker
Swan Lake
Firebird
Scheherezade
Dark Eyes
West Side Story
Tango de Roxanne
Phantom of the Opera POTO
Bolero (unless your name is Torvill & Dean)
Matrix (if your name is Joubert)
Kalinka (if you are Russian)
Butterfly Lovers (if you are Chinese)

Additional restrictions on Pairs/Dance. There shall be NO:
Nessum Dorma
Turandot (unless your name is Shen & Zhao)
Adagio in G Minor by Albinoni

Feel free to add to this list!
(unless your name is Plushenko) :biggrin: :rock:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Plushenko skated to CARMEN that season, didn't he?

Or was Roxanne used in the first part of the season. I remember he switched to Carmen later on.

Bennett

Record Breaker
If we include local skaters, the little 5 yrs old kids, Carmen may be by far the most often that I heard (not the seductive part for 5 yrs though).

Among senior GP level, I feel that I also hear R&J a lot, too.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
With all due respect to Mathman's research and fine list of medalists, the title of the thread was "most overused music..." not "most overused music that people have gotten on podiums with..." Heck, if just about any skater of reknown has used Carmen, of course you're going to have plenty of winners with it (or other heavily-used, famous music). That's just statistical probabilities coming into play.

My point is more qualitative: WE FANS HAVE TIRED EARS and are eager for some creativity in music selections. (That's creative, not necessarily weird!) One of my favorite programs of Michelles was Lyra Angelica, not just because of the composition and execution of the program, but because it was based on a piece of music that you didn't hear very often. And I had no preconceived notions based on any previous skaters' performance. Illustrating the point a different way--I liked Otonal the first time I heard/saw it performed (Maria Butyrskaya), but after quite a number of skaters decided to use it over the last few years, I find myself zoning out of their programs.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
In defense of Brian Joubert:

1. He only did the first Matrix for a full season (2003-4) + 1 event in another season (2006 Worlds). He did Matrix 2 (which was half Requiem for a Dream - now that's becoming a cliche) for half a season, three years after he last used the original version. I think the first Matrix just sticks in people's minds because it was a very good LP for Joubert - really a breakthrough program in many ways; he had some of his best results with it; and because at the time it was a pretty unusual choice (though the Kerrs also used it in 2003-4).

2. Kevin van der Perren is just as bad with Pirates of the Caribbean. Worse, actually, because he used the original Pirates for two full seasons.

3. Brian has never skated to any of the other options in this poll, at least not as a senior. Which in my opinion is something to applaud. So I will :clap:.

Carmen gets my vote, of course.

seniorita

Record Breaker
scheherezade ...
(unless your name is Plushenko) :biggrin: :rock:
when Plushenko used scheherezade?Where was I?:confused:
He has also skated to swan lake but he was too little then. I dont think he was at seniors yet.
I must confess I like carmen music and dont get bored with it. It is like figure skating=carmen! Same goes for Tosca and Phantom :eek:

Wicked

Final Flight
BigSis, if all those songs were banned, what would anyone skate to?

Rudy Galindo can skate to Swan Lake whenever he wants.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Word. That's what I mean about skaters who skate to a piece as if it's the first time anyone did it. I'll have to take Sasha off that list when it comes to Swan Lake. Not that I didn't enjoy her program but I thought it was one of her least interesting.
But Baiul and Galindo? different story s'far as I'm concerned. They own Swan Lake.

dannyascii

On the Ice
Please, no more Carmen. I don't think I can deal with another Carmen...
What makes Carmen even worse is it's this big, fierce, passionate piece and half that skaters that use the music bring so little to it. No fire, no spark, nothing. Dube and Davison were honestly one of the worst Carmens I've seen. There was no chemistry in that program; they had about as much passion as a bowl of oatmeal...it was just bad.
If skaters could steer away from Otonal too, I'd appreciate it.

schiele

Final Flight
Please, no more Carmen. I don't think I can deal with another Carmen...
What makes Carmen even worse is it's this big, fierce, passionate piece and half that skaters that use the music bring so little to it. No fire, no spark, nothing. Dube and Davison were honestly one of the worst Carmens I've seen. There was no chemistry in that program; they had about as much passion as a bowl of oatmeal...it was just bad.
If skaters could steer away from Otonal too, I'd appreciate it.

Yes I agree, the main problem with Carmen is most skaters cannot bring the fierceness required with the music. It's unfortunate that skaters keep choosing music totally unsuitable for them or they cannot properly interpret, just because it would go down well with the judges.. I have a suspicion the judges must be sick and tired of horrible music choices too..
I think Rachmaninof too should be entirely banned from FS, I dont think I can ever listen to the poor man's music anymore. :laugh:
Btw, agree with Buttercup on Brian's effort in terms of choosing suitable music for him which is mostly original. I think Tomas and Lambiel were also very good in that respect (except the godfather.). And for me, the best carmen was Plushy (for male) and Katarina (for females). :rock:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker

The Sound of Silence? :)

Seriously, I've got to believe that among the skaters, coaches, and choreographers, somebody, somewhere has more music on their ipods than just the warhorses. I'm all for the concept of recycling, but when it comes to figure skating music it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Your comment about Rudy (which I agree with BTW) illustrates something important: if you are going to do an overworked piece of music, you've really got to bring something special to the party if you want to stand out and make it memorable for judges and the audience. Rudy managed to do that and especially so with the performance that won him the National title. But most skaters can't/don't do this.

If we cannot agree to completely banish the old chestnuts, can we at least agree that in a given season, only one skater can use a given piece of music? At least our ears wouldn't fall off from having to hear multiple Requiems for A Dream. Showing up with the same music is like showing up at a party and some other woman is wearing the same dress (and she looks better in it than you do). Ugh.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I think Rachmaninof too should be entirely banned from FS, I dont think I can ever listen to the poor man's music anymore. :laugh:

I disagree.

Rachmaninoff has a sizeable repertoire of absolutely beautiful music that hardly any skaters have ever used (e.g. his Trio Elegiaque No.2) that I think would make some stunning programs.

It's just that everyone and their mother keeps using the first two movements of his Piano Concerto No. 2. The only program using those two particular movements of Piano Concerto No. 2 I've been particularly impressed by was Mishkutenok/Dmitriev's 1994 LP. Unfortunately, most skaters just end up butchering the (admittedly lovely) music.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
I think were missing a biggie.... Palladio aka the De Beers diamond theme... I swear I heard this piece at least 6 times at the last competition I was at.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
Don't forget - especially on the local up to national level --

1) National Treasure
2) Amelie
3) Pirates of the Caribbean
4) Once upon a time in Mexico
5) The Mission
6) anything from Vanessa Mae or Bond
7) ugh - Yanni

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Most of the music in the list has been over-used, and many have been pointlessly used (if one skates to such used music, then one should come up with their own interpretation) but none of them anoyes me quite as mush as Sing, Sing, Sing.